Author Topic: Guy anchors  (Read 3804 times)

Offline TurboMiles

Guy anchors
« on: January 22, 2017, 09:27:22 am »
What do you guys use to secure the guy wires to the ground?  I have T post driven 6' in the ground but they are starting to move under the stresses.

Offline eraser3000

Re: Guy anchors
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 01:15:22 pm »

Offline welshman

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 02:10:58 pm »
i'd recommend a concrete block in the ground as with previous experience of using rods in the ground they just pull out in high winds and end up bending the pole. and when the guy rope/wire comes loose quick in high winds it usually cuts in half whatever was in its path. very dangerous.

Offline niall

• No Personal Text Set by User
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 04:16:42 pm »
hi Turbomiles

i got the local mini digger guy in to dig four deep trenchs out and buried 4 of the biggest treated rough fence posts i could find ....

basically small tree trunks with as much creosite ( coal tar ) as they would adsorb......time will tell on that one though   ???

if you ever rob a bank and need to dispose of the getaway car,... its a pretty similar process .....burying something big and heavy

a concrete block like Welshman says sounds better ...they often have rebar in them too ....should have done that   

Southwest windpower used screw in rods i think on some masts .....but only on undisturbed soil .....i think

Offline welshman

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 04:32:22 pm »
hi Turbomiles

i got the local mini digger guy in to dig four deep trenchs out and buried 4 of the biggest treated rough fence posts i could find ....

basically small tree trunks with as much creosite ( coal tar ) as they would adsorb......time will tell on that one though   ???

if you ever rob a bank and need to dispose of the getaway car,... its a pretty similar process .....burying something big and heavy

a concrete block like Welshman says sounds better ...they often have rebar in them too ....should have done that

im currently trying to figure out how to stop my wind turbine as it's making awful noises due to blade vibration as its pitch changes due to the ground tether moving.

the brakes won't stop it and turning it out of the wind is near impossible as any pole i put near the tail gets blown so hard i cant even hold it there to turn it out the wind.

looks like im going to have to ride this one out and see if guy wire breaks and the pole bends (again).

btw its on two full length steel scaffold tubes. which are tied together with scaffold brackets, so effectively twice the strenght of one scaffold pole. the rop guy wire clamp is as high as it can go just below the blades. the second clamp is about halfway down. so 6 guy wires in total, but when the wind blows hard and puts all the strain on just one guy wire the other 5 might as well not be there. so the force of the thing isn't divided by the guy wires at all.

what you are trying to avoid is, the pole bending or rather "flexing" at all, because like i said before even a slight bend/flexing will introduce nasty noises that can be heard for miles as the blades vibrate as they move back and forth interacting with the pitching.

previously when the pole bent over was when the guy wire clamp, which i only had one then, rattled loose and slipped down the pole, the wind then bent the steel scaffold pole about 70 deg over from upright. but the wind trubine being the 2kw weighs 25kg, i added extra nyloc nuts after that to prevent it coming loose on the pole.

-i realise now, most of that is aimed at turbomiles, not you niall.

Offline niall

• No Personal Text Set by User
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 04:59:22 pm »
 :)

its back to furling.......it saves the mill......you can set it as hard or as soft as you like

this is a friends mill furling at the top end of production.....i,d like it earlier but he needs the wattage

Offline welshman

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 05:02:03 pm »
:)

its back to furling.......it saves the mill......you can set it as hard or as soft as you like

this is a friends mill furling at the top end of production.....i,d like it earlier but he needs the wattage

that is beautiful furling. perfectly balanced. i need that kind of thing.

Offline welshman

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 06:46:08 am »
well my guy anchors survived the night. however the concrete base of the pole uprooted and brought it down. luckily only damage to the turbine was a dent on the tail pipe. going to make an auto furl for it before it goes back up.