Product Information > Product Reviews

Old Sharp microwave

<< < (2/3) > >>

Wolvenar:
I'll take a look, f I can scroung a working one of that model up.
If possible a better image would be nice.

Careful with the connectors, if you do try.

If its not very visibly a connector, don't try pulling it, or you may lose whats left of the display, particularly of its an LCD.

bj:
  Hard to tell for sure Norm, but case trim, keypad etc look the same as a Kenmore we have.
  And Kenmore's could be built by anyone.  Anyway, ours has a florescent display.  (Bright blue)
  And yes, it's not as bright as it used to be either, but still usable.  And it is always better after a rest.
  Maybe useless info, in which case, totally disregard.

MadScientist267:
There is actually a flavor of LCD that is made to look exactly like LED.

The polarizers are flipped so as to provide a black background with "lit up" numbers. Rather than a reflector at the back of the display, there is a backlight in the color the manufacturer desired.

If the numbers were colored, I suspect this is exactly the design, as holding a flashlight up to a dim LED or fluorescent display would make it HARDER to read, not easier. If its an average everyday LCD, the flashlight thing applies as well.

LCD is biased to control contrast, and likely what has happened is the bias supply has drifted, and is probably temperature sensitive now for whatever reason. This would explain it showing up after an extended power failure, but then fading out again a short time later. Trying to reproduce the results didn't work because it probably was not unplugged long enough for whatever is in there that is causing it to cool down sufficiently for the contrast to return to original spec. LCD is very sensitive to this bias; a relatively weak HV static field within several inches of a removed LCD element is enough to change the polarity of the crystals, causing darkening/lightening of the display. As little as 0.3V across any cell in the display can make it completely flip states.

Steve

bj:
  Learned something new again.  That's why I love this place.
  thanks Steve.

Norm:
Yeah Me too....thanks Steve.....
and as long as it works, better than my daughters where the
display works....but the microwave doesn't !
Eh?
Norm.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version