Product Information > Product Reviews

Wooden prop treatment opinions

<< < (2/2)

tomw:
Chris;

I thought they were coming roughed out needing sanding and finishing?

Another senior moment.

I have no painting equipment beyond some rollers and a foam brush or 3.

That puts automotive paint out of my budget.

Had my Superglide repainted with Imron after I dumped it at a rail road track crossing a road at an angle and slid on its side a ways.

It was pretty durable but expensive. Around 1989 or so.

Thanks.

Tom

ChrisOlson:

--- Quote from: tomw on June 04, 2012, 02:03:42 pm ---I thought they were coming roughed out needing sanding and finishing?

--- End quote ---

Well, "roughed out" is what I call at least primed and sealed.  I just don't get along with paint brushes and rollers and spray cans.  How about if I just paint them for you - Olympic White base coat/clear coat - and all you have to do is tape off the tips, sand them a bit to rough them up and paint the tips with whatever color you decide?

The paint is the key, man.  Imron (and all the other acrylic urethanes) were originally designed for the aircraft industry because airplanes needed paint that don't come off and can flex without cracking or peeling.  It was later adopted by the auto restoration industry and became the Gold Standard (and also the most expensive) auto paint jobs you can get.  I got a gallon here in the shop that has about a 1/2 quart left in it and it needs to be used up because the shelf life ain't all that great after the can has been opened.

Just say the word and I'll do 'er.  I got all the equipment needed to spray the stuff and apply it right.
--
Chris

tomw:

--- Quote from: ChrisOlson on June 04, 2012, 02:42:54 pm ---
--- Quote from: tomw on June 04, 2012, 02:03:42 pm ---I thought they were coming roughed out needing sanding and finishing?

--- End quote ---

Well, "roughed out" is what I call at least primed and sealed.  I just don't get along with paint brushes and rollers and spray cans.  How about if I just paint them for you - Olympic White base coat/clear coat - and all you have to do is tape off the tips, sand them a bit to rough them up and paint the tips with whatever color you decide?

The paint is the key, man.  Imron (and all the other acrylic urethanes) were originally designed for the aircraft industry because airplanes needed paint that don't come off and can flex without cracking or peeling.  It was later adopted by the auto restoration industry and became the Gold Standard (and also the most expensive) auto paint jobs you can get.  I got a gallon here in the shop that has about a 1/2 quart left in it and it needs to be used up because the shelf life ain't all that great after the can has been opened.

Just say the word and I'll do 'er.  I got all the equipment needed to spray the stuff and apply it right.
--
Chris

--- End quote ---

Chris;

Yes, certainly.

I only paint when I am forced to. Usually a "Rustoleum Overhaul" . I think I learned that in the Army where as lpng as it looked good it was all OK. They even had some yoyos painting tires that were weather checked from being on trucks that landed @ Omaha Beach during Operation Overlord in 1944 I think..  :o

Thanks.

Tom

ChrisOlson:

--- Quote from: tomw on June 04, 2012, 03:04:05 pm ---yes, certainly.

--- End quote ---

Good.  I'd get 'er did.  They'll look a lot nicer, and flash in the sunlight like mirrors with real paint on them.  I've never really gotten into slobbering linseed oil on blades either.  But I guess it works as long as you stay out of the throwoff zone when she fires up and starts spraying oil all over the place    ::)

--- Quote ---I only paint when I am forced to. Usually a "Rustoleum Overhaul" . I think I learned that in the Army where as lpng as it looked good it was all OK.

--- End quote ---

Yeah.  The Army gets a good deal on tanker loads of flat green and flat grey.  Sometimes a few 55 gallon drums of flat black to paint rims with.  The local Reserve outfit had one 6x6 that one of the guys bolted one of them chrome babes with wings to the front of the hood.  I guess the commander seen it and made him take it off there because they can't have anything shiny on them trucks.
--
Chris

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version