Author Topic: Living in a van and a big thank you!  (Read 15748 times)

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
Re: Living in a van and a big thank you!
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2012, 06:09:17 am »
When we were younger and newly wed, my wife and I had to take any job we could get to survive.
Well the wife landed a decent job working medical records but it was a temp. Problem was this was a 50 mile drive daily.

Having only one car, meant that if I were to be mobile and able to job hunt without spending excessive money on fuel we didn't have I would need to drive her., and wow were they early and long work hours.
I had a cell way back in the 90's so I didn't have to stay put to wait for an interview call. I also had a lot of computer stuff to keep me busy.

I would drive her to work in that city, and then do my rounds trying to find a job.
I had 3 main hangouts.
One place head great restroom facilities that were NEVER in use so were nice and private ( JC Pennies), a CO-OP truck stop, which had a power outlet WAY back in the rear of the lot behind a fences oil dumpster.  I knew the schedule of the oil replacement, every Tuesday and Friday at 7:30 am so I just knew to avoid that time to be plugged in.  Here I would bring a full sized PC and bulky monitor and sit and play games or watch movies there in a cramped Camaro.

Then the other hangout was another truck stop /gas station that had booths for businessmen etc to make calls and or do work.
It seemed I would always wind up jump starting a truck driver, and getting a pop or some thank you for doing so.
 I would spend an hour or so daily after interviewing, or visiting businesses to find work, documenting where I was and what all I did, and my impressions of how it went.. I am amazed today looking back on how thorough I was yet it took SO long to find work..

The owners didn't mind having me around at all, in fact when someone would come in asking for help with a vehicle problem they generally pointed over to me and said, there's the guy to ask. They even considered hiring me when they were to have an open position, but I got another job first.

Funny part, when I got a job, I got that job because of sitting there doing this.
A test car driving facility crew were making their daily stop. One day a crew leader came over and asked why ihe would see me there all the time, then offered it to me on the spot after I explained.

This sticks in memory so well because of how long I would do this before I found a job, and how I would up with one.
After all that work running and searching, the job came to me instead.

Final thought...
I felt so sorry for anyone buying a Dodge/Chrysler Neon after seeing the inside scoop of how they design them.

Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)

Offline MadScientist267

• Impossible Condition Curator
  • Rules? What rules?
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2012, 06:07:51 am »
Those who mentioned the smoke/CO detector thing can finally rest that much better knowing what their statements have not gone unheeded.

I now have both installed even if by only experimental means, they are there. I can tell you this; while CO may be colorless, odorless, and tasteless, it can definitely be picked up by the human symptomatically... Burning eyes, onset of headache, fatigue, and so on.

Mine has a readout in PPM and the higher the # the worse it gets

Steve
Wanted: Schrödinger's cat, dead and alive.

Offline madlabs

• Chief Bottle Washer
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2012, 09:01:11 am »
I'm  really  glad  you got the CO detector! I didn't post about your heater because I woulda hadda say something about safety  and I'm sure it gets old. Anyway, just beware of chronic low level  exposure . It can result in permanent neurological damage. There, I feel better!
Some people are like a Slinky - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.

Offline dang

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2012, 12:16:36 pm »
The CO exposure in being a regular cigarette smoker already places the body into effects similar to being at 8-10,000' elevation.

So if you puff you're one foot in the grave already before any exposure to persistent low CO level environments.
"It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others" - Anonymous

Offline MadScientist267

• Rules? What rules?
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2012, 04:30:16 pm »
My typical readings are from 30-70 ppm depending on torch/dryer/fresh air exchange speeds.

The highest it sees is during max heat production (highest flame and maximum disturbance) during the first warmup. I have learned to be able to correspond at least one immediate detection method with no electronics whatsoever.

When the CO increases (according to the meter), my eyes burn proportionally to the level. Not necessarily a good indicator of level, but appears to be enough to say, either check it out, or get out.

Set the smoke detector off at least once (accidentally with a cigarette). So all equipment is at least functional. ;)

Steve

Offline dang

« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2012, 05:36:51 pm »
http://coconundra.info/CO_Levels.php

"10-30 ppm = CO level in exhaled breath of smokers within one to two hours after they last smoked. Exhaled CO in smokers remains chronically above 5ppm until days after they quit smoking. "

"100 ppm = CO level above which the Baltimore fire department requires the immediate evacuation of any building, although in most cases they usually order evacuations above 25ppm."

"It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others" - Anonymous

Offline MadScientist267

• Rules? What rules?
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2012, 09:04:46 pm »
Thinking that there are enough discrepancies that the levels are in grey areas, but since I don't poke up above 100 (except when I did a test), I should be safe for the most part. In "hold" mode, the level drops to "0" (because of some law that says they have to read 0 at any level below 29ppm. With normal operation generating heat with moderate flame/fan,, the, meter rarely goes over 50.

Nobody is arguing that exposure to this gas should be kept minimized, but after reading a bit, I should be within safe exposure limits. The meter also has a clearable peak reading memory so that if for some reason it does spike at some point, I can find out about it.

Steve

Offline MadScientist267

• Rules? What rules?
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2012, 01:33:55 am »
Well, lots of work to show soon, but here's the electron pumps :)

1623-0

Works for me :D

As soon as I get it all finished up, I'm gonna slam it all out there, but for now this is all you get :P

Steve

Offline striider

• No Personal Text Set by User
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2012, 05:48:18 am »
Steve - how goes your habitation experiment?

Offline MadScientist267

• Rules? What rules?
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2012, 12:37:34 am »
Not bad, many changes. A new thread was put up, but at the moment I must warn you, its picture ridden with 54 2MB Pictures, more than 100MB TO LOAD THE PAGE !!!

A series of solutions to the problem are being worked out, but if you have the bandwidth and aren't concerned with overages or anything like that, and possibly even willing to have to refresh the page a couple times to get it all loaded, then here you go:

http://www.anotherpower.com/board/index.php/topic,741.msg7120.html#msg7120

After the mess is resolved, I will change this post to just a link. But for now, all have been warned! :)

At least from THIS thread... :/

Steve

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2013, 02:18:27 pm »
I had found this quite some time ago, and just ran across it again.
I knew your adventure seemed familiar.

http://www.salon.com/2009/12/07/living_in_a_van/
Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)

Offline MadScientist267

• Rules? What rules?
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2013, 07:52:19 pm »
Heh yeah... Does sound awfully familiar... Well, except for that whole college part... But did you notice the cop magnet factor? I'm telling you... Someone should let this guy know - if you put an "air conditioner" on top, you'll graduate from college campus rent-a-cops to full on city and county police, in numbers at that, on a regular basis...

But the "get busted at 2 mos factor"... Seems to be a pattern here. Maybe he sat in the shade too long... I can only attest that full sun daily only attracts wally world managers and their minions hahaha

Nice find ;)

Steve