Author Topic: $200 bounty on snakehead fish in Maryland  (Read 12478 times)

Offline ChrisOlson

• just trying to survive
Re: $200 bounty on snakehead fish in Maryland
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2012, 08:00:53 am »
The boat deal ain't gonna' work.  That's titled and registered in both of our names.   :o
--
Chris

Offline bj

• Lamont, Alberta, Canada
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2012, 08:26:44 am »
  If'n it was me Chris, I think I would just go buy my own bag of lures. ;D
"Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while"
bj

Offline ChrisOlson

• just trying to survive
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2012, 09:06:00 am »
That's probably a good idea because I "owe" her a couple lures from last year yet.  She bought some things called "BladeRunners" last year.  These baits have a lot of action and they're a shallow running bait.  We were fishing on Long Lake and she'd throw these things up in the weed beds and crank them in.  As soon as the bait cleared the edge of the weedbed she'd have a northern on there and the fight was on.  You can't keep northerns off those BladeRunners.

Well, I didn't have any blade runners and after she had caught at least a couple dozen northerns I "borrowed" a couple from her.  Do you suppose I could get a northern to bite on my "borrowed" BladeRunners?  I did everything she was doing and I couldn't catch a fish to save my a$$.

Well, then she told me I was doing it wrong because you have to let the BladeRunner actually brush thru the top of the weeds so it gets the northern mad at it.  But you can't let it get snagged in the weeds.  Believe me - that woman knows how to fish for pike.  So I tried that and lost both of her baits that I "borrowed" because I got them snagged.

I never fails.
--
Chris

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2012, 12:18:24 pm »
I am pretty sure that's the same lure I use here for northerns.. Just about the best thing  I have found you can get for them, but you tend to lose a few here and there, and they aren't the cheapest.
At least fishing in the Fish Hook (yeah fitting name huh?) lake just south of me. 
Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)

Offline ChrisOlson

• just trying to survive
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2012, 12:30:45 pm »
Yeah, those BladeRunners are like an upside down spoon with a single hook and they got a rubber tail on them that "swims".  The big ones are like a foot long and probably 3 oz or so.  They got smaller ones too.  The big ones about about 8 bucks each.

If you toss them out and just let them sink they "swim" downward until they reach the depth you want, then you have to work the bait to make it "swim" like you want it to.  They got way better action than a spoon with a treble hook on it, and they're a slow retrieve bait so you spend more time in presentation instead of cranking the reel and casting.

BladeRunners can't be trolled unless you use downriggers because they just come to the surface and run on the top if they're trolled very fast, or reeled in very fast.
--
Chris

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2012, 09:22:11 pm »
Chris did you see the news reports about a 240lb sturgeon just caught in Wisconsin?

Offline ChrisOlson

• just trying to survive
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2012, 09:31:52 pm »
Yep.  I seen it on the Channel 13 news.  I guess the DNR found it in the river by Shawano and they put a tag on it and let it go again.  They said they figured that fish is over 100 years old.

Here's a good documentary on Sturgeon.  And on how the human race is slowly but surely destroying the planet it lives on:
--
Chris

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn

Offline ChrisOlson

• just trying to survive
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2012, 10:20:41 pm »
Well, it's a tragedy that my dad, who is 90 years old this coming June, remembers the days when literally thousands of tons of lake sturgeon were harvested by commercial fisherman on Lake Superior.  The native people who lived here, lived in unison with nature for thousands of years.  The white man showed up and in a matter of two generations destroyed most of the ecosystem surrounding the Great Lakes.

The Great Lakes are still great.  But they are only a shadow of what they once were.
--
Chris

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2019, 11:10:30 pm »
I know this is extremely old, however I have to point out that a very large amount of this fishing was done by the local natives as well.
 Once the technology was made available to them, they too took advantage of it.