Product Information > Product Support

Power Jack LF 5000W Inverter Board Swap

<< < (8/8)

oztules:
"Makes me wonder if anyone has tried an LC filter on their charge controller connection to batteries. With a large inductor in series and capacitor on battery side it would smooth those pulses."

Yeah tried and failed with this setup too...2mh...... then I interfered with the resistor... and after that it ceased and desisted with telling me it's problems... the diode stops all that nonsense in it's tracks.

Must say I did not use the capacitor across the batts.

.................oztules

lighthunter:
Thanks for sharing your experience with the choke Oztules! Saves us from the headache  :)Those ideas always seemed to work better on paper than they ever did in reality. what was that formula?1รท(2*pi* f *c)=XC that formula may give you an idea of the effective resistance of a capacitor xposed to a sine wave but then whats the frequency of a transient? dv/dt or the rise in volts/time? I never really understood all that even though i can do some of the math. I think the ESR value of a cap has more to do with shunting a transient than anything and the text books never mentioned that parameter when i... well im just too old, they probably do now.

I was trying to switch 150vDC with a contact yesterday and had a loosing battle with that one. Well loosing at least temporarily. I watched as my relay literally went up in flames. Nasty arc DC can sustain, i see why they use it in welding, can you imagine stick welding with solar panels? It would be smooth as glass. Anyway my second attempt at switching dc went better after i put a .1uf cap accross the points. Do you suppose the inductance of the long cable run is enough to cause the behavior? Mercy panel voltage is destructive. You cant really fuse to protect anything from adverse behavior either because ISC isnt much more than IMP.

The capacitor seemed to do the trick and i like the isolation but would i have better luck using a fet or igbt to switch than using a relay?

LH

lighthunter:
Hi all, there was a request to post pic of a toroid mentioned earlier in this thread so here it is alongside its equivalent spec pj torroid.

The pj torroid came out of a 24v 110v LF6000 without split phase.

Pj xfmr 4" height x 6.5" diameter 22lbs.
Powertronix 3"height, 8.5" diameter 31lbs.

These ran side by side for a year before i switched to an 8kw 200lb.
Split phase transformer. Will post it after the others.

OTG:
Finally closing this one out... hopefully it helps somebody. Though I see the new boards don't use Cut if Low, so I might have missed that boat!  :P

I tried both 0.5W & 1.0W Zeners  in parallel on my LF5000 and LF8000 inverters... and for whatever reason, they did nothing for either inverter. One lives on a PWM controller the other MPPT, both OV'd as per usual.

So I bought a bunch of resistors ranging from 650k to 1.2M and in the end I found:
- the LF8000 with a 1.2M in parallel
&
- the LF5000 with a 820k in parallel
had both of them working perfect!

The LF8000 worked with the 1.2M off the bat so I left it. The LF5000 would still OV to varying degress with larger resistors (e.g.  I had a 1.2M in it originally) but with the 820k it's had no troubles. I suspect the 8000 might be the opposite?

So after 6months of OV alarm free 'inverter-ing' I'm chuffed!  :)

Thanks again to all the good folks at AnotherPower for helping me get there!

Onto the next project... ;-D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version