Author Topic: Wind turbine loading  (Read 5894 times)

Offline welshman

Re: Wind turbine loading
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2017, 01:56:49 pm »
i have an ista breeze 2kw wind turbine and never has the dump load I have done anything to prevent it from over speeding.

even if I bridge all three wires (the largest dump load possible), it still spins flat out in 30-40 mph winds.

its also got a brake function on its controller. which doesn't stop it in 30-40 mph winds either.

so I would recommend some way of mechanically turning the blades out of the wind or having a mechanical brake on the rotor.

A dump load will not help it, also not once has the dump load been activated due to the batteries being full, maybe if i went on holiday for a few weeks and turned everything off this could possible get close to happening.

even though the wind turbine i have is rated at 2kw, even in 40mph winds where the thing is spinning wildly fast, often mind boggingly fast at times, i have not seen over 1100w output with any load on it.

Offline TurboMiles

Re: Wind turbine loading
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2017, 03:22:00 pm »
I'm thinking about buying 4 tesla model s modules.  Each is 6kw and little maintenance, can be discharged 80%, but $5k is hard to part with.

I'm not sure I see the attraction of tesla modules. $5K for 6kWh ??
I've just bought 112 x 200AH 3.2V cells. For comparative purposes, $5K gets 16kWh of LFP.
4 modules, each module 6kwh, 24kWh total