Author Topic: 12 volters - charger/converter/power center  (Read 6969 times)

Offline Poorboy

12 volters - charger/converter/power center
« on: April 15, 2012, 04:36:42 pm »
I bought a $100 charger from the auto parts store that was supposed to be good for agm and was 10-20 amps auto switching. Must have been stuck on 10 amp and doing a poor job of that because it didn't work any better than my cheap little 6 amp charger so I returned it and went shopping online. Went to battery stores, AE stores, golf cart suppliers and then ebay. Found that RV battery chargers are pretty well geared towards charging golf cart batts as that's what a lot of RVers use. Looked at all of them and in the end chose an wfco 8935. Made in china, ugly brown plastic face but it was one of the cheapest and it pulls 600 watts so it was a good fit for my HF 800 watt gennie. The fact that it's also a power distribution center for ac and dc is perfect for me as we're getting ready to build an off grid cabin here shortly. It's got a place for a transfer switch to plug in and I just recently found a line off gennies that are a KO of the small honda inverter gennies and the 2000 watt model has electric start with remote. Pretty soon our AE system will be easy button ready for the DW.

These things are $150 at the RV sites but I got one for just over $100 on ebay. It seems well made and charges good. 8935 means 35 amps on the 12vdc side. Cloudy and rain today and mostly cloudy yesterday so I used it this morning. Ran it an hour which brought 4 GC2s from 11.8 up to the mid 12s. 2 hours would have brought them up to 100% but it started raining and I don't have the generator under full cover so I shut it down. Might have brought them up in an hour if we didn't have 2 laptops and a 12vdc fridge going. But it's raining so it's an internet kind of day.

8900 Series models provide AC and DC distribution with innovative features. They can accommodate a 30-amp main AC circuit breaker and up to five branch circuits. Eleven-branch DC circuits are available with LED lights for each DC circuit to illuminate and identify open circuits.

Output power: 35 amps DC output
Input: 105-130 VAC, 60 Hz, 8.0 amps (600 watt)
Output:
   - Nominal (Absorption Mode) 13.6 Vdc (includes charging and load)
    - Boost (Bulk Mode) 14.4 Vdc
    - Trickle (Float Mode) 13.2 Vdc (after 48 hrs.)
Dimensions: 13.87” wide; 11.625” high; 7.3” deep
Weight: 6.75 lbs.

Offline WooferHound

• Technowhiz
  • Global Moderator
  • Huntsville Alabama USA
    • My personal webpage
Re: 12 volters - charger/converter/power center
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 07:58:48 pm »
A 10 amp charger will not work much better than a 6 amp charger so your chargers were working fine I'm sure.
Your 10-20 amp charger probably wouldn't switch to 20 amps unless the batteries were very low.

Are your generators making 120vac power ?

Ready for the DW, what is a DW ?

A charger that pulls 600w (5amps) at 120vac should be charging at close to 50 amps, Your 35 amps seems a bit inefficient. Charging at 35 amps would not be good for batteries totaling less than 350 amphours

Your Alternative Energy system isn't very Alternative  if you are charging the batteries with a gas generator.
----- W o o f e r h o u n d -----
My Renewable Energy Projects

Offline Poorboy

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 09:49:58 pm »
If you read the post you'll see that I have 4 GC2 batts, so yes, more than 350AH. You'll also see I'm charging during rainy/cloudy days. My solar panels don't seem to work very well on those days. I've spent less than $20 on gennie fuel this year and have refrigeration, lights and am on the internet with a laptop as is my DW (Dear Wife, thought it was universal on forums). Pretty good alternative an electric bill. And yes I could probably use more panels, more batts, a few wind turbines and hydro power too. Sometime when I have several thousand dollars to spare maybe I'll get better set up. As for the 600 watts for 35 charging amps, my post/review also mentions 11 branch circuits for 12vdc. Perhaps 15 amps are reserved for the converter end. Not sure on that but I do know most every charger in that amperage range was a few hundred bucks.

This place is just full of positive energy.

Offline WooferHound

• Technowhiz
  • Global Moderator
  • Huntsville Alabama USA
    • My personal webpage
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 08:52:43 am »
Sorry about the possibly negative tone to my reply, but you seem to be a bit underpowered considering the components of your system. I have 150 watts of solar so I understand what you have to work with. You can see my system here...
http://timmythy.home.mindspring.com/re-power.htm

- EDIT -
I looked around to find out more information about GC2 AGM batteries
For cycling the batteries like you are doing they are recommending a charge over 14 volts

Offline Poorboy

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 06:30:58 pm »
Underpowered due to underfunded.
Mistake, they're not agm, they're regular flooded GC batts just like the trojans you have. Mine are interstate 232AH.
I see I'm not the only one who used an old alarm box for a power dist. box.

Ya, seemed to be a bit like smack down the forum newbie without thoroughly reading his post. Wasn't the first post that was somewhat insulting to my intelligence or assuming I had none. Both by mods too. Way to populate a forum.

Offline rossw

• Senior Moderator
  • Grumpy-old-Unix-Admin
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 07:55:31 pm »
Ya, seemed to be a bit like smack down the forum newbie without thoroughly reading his post. Wasn't the first post that was somewhat insulting to my intelligence or assuming I had none. Both by mods too. Way to populate a forum.

At least he apologised. Mods are not infallible (well, the other mods arn't...  <grin>).

Should we take a vote? Demote woofer for a week to remind him to be nice? :)

Offline WooferHound

• Technowhiz
  • Global Moderator
  • Huntsville Alabama USA
    • My personal webpage
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 08:17:14 pm »
We are not trying to belittle your abilities, we are trying to bring you down to what reality is.
I'm trying to prevent you from killing your batteries too soon by overusing them.

I've killed enough batteries that I want to help others prevent this problem.

Offline tomw

• Not as bad as you might think
  • Senior Moderator
  • hoplophobic people will fear my lifestyle
    • Zubbly's photos!
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 08:21:38 pm »

Should we take a vote? Demote woofer for a week to remind him to be nice? :)
I say we sentence him to 72 hours straight of a 20 minute loop of elevator music.

PoorBoy: You need to realise these guys are blunt but honest and look at it that way. I had a bit of trouble following along and did not think anyone was mean but that is relative. Accurate information is more important than egos.

I have often written a well thought out and well worded post with lots of information only to have folks not understand what I mean or take one piece and treat it like all there is.

We only know you from your posts on here so we don't know any detail you have not explicitly provided. Words on a screen tend to be interpreted differently than the same words in person.

Just sayin.

Tom

PS; to you moderators. Be nice, tell people what they want to hear. It is not that hard to do. :o

Or not.  :D
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ?° ?? ?°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 08:40:53 pm »
Mods are people, period.

I don't see that Woofer was attempting to use a title out of order, he was posting as himself not changing a post or using elevated privileges to change history/postings etc ( as others have done on other forums)..

As TomW says what is said in text can  be easily misinterpreted.
Hell I don't do well in person either, and come off an an a$$ a lot when i am trying not to be ( probably a lot more than in text in my case.)
One of my early posts here I badly explained something, which was quickly pointed out.
Sure it kind makes for a humiliating experience for sure, but he was right, and just pointing out facts, not being rude..
So in the end we are better for it.

Also as Tom pointed out, many of us are into the blunt details and have learned from experiences, and would like to help others learn from ours and not have to repeat the (sometimes expensive) disasters we all learned from.
These experiences repeat over and over all over the world, one person might luck out once in a while, but in the end they will wind up in the same boat doing things that are sure to cause trouble.

I'm pretty sure Woofer was offering these observations up to try to save ppl $$ and pain from the little he knew, not only for your benefit poorboy *if* it applied, but others in similar situation  as well.

Glad to have you here Poorboy! it's great to see your perspective, and experiences.

Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)

Offline WooferHound

• Technowhiz
  • Global Moderator
  • Huntsville Alabama USA
    • My personal webpage
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 09:30:19 pm »
Yes I agree with wolv

Poorboy -  it would help if you posted details about your system in the "User Projects" Area. So we can advise you better.
Thanks for participating on this forum. I am not Picking on you, I am trying to help you.