Author Topic: Civilian Combat Statistics...  (Read 12545 times)

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
Re: Civilian Combat Statistics...
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2012, 04:16:46 am »
Nice lesson.. I'll keep some of these in mind  ;)
click on image a new window will open, click again on the image in this window to expand to readable
Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)

Offline tomw

• Not as bad as you might think
  • Senior Moderator
  • hoplophobic people will fear my lifestyle
    • Zubbly's photos!
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2012, 09:04:46 am »
Always like a story about idiots bringing a knife to a gun fight! Interesting story if true and a great one to ponder if not.

Interesting tactic faking compliance to get him thinking he is large and in charge then figuratively speaking ass raping him! ;D ;)

I probably woulda scrambled his brains with a hollow point Xtreme Terminal Performance 147 grain 9 mm bullet not scramble his life. Less explaining his way, however. Or maybe just shat myself?  :o

One never knows how they will react under duress. Staring down the bore of a .45 ain't on my bucket list, I will tell you that. Staring down the sight picture of one at a knife wielding "person" would be another story.

I digress.

Thanks for the share.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ?° ?? ?°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Offline striider

• No Personal Text Set by User
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2012, 01:59:03 am »
In a home defence situation I would much prefer a 12 guage stuffed with #4's. Deadly insaide a room but rendered faitly impotent after passing through a home wall so less chance of collateral damage to the innocent. This is important for me because, while I am completely willing to jam my pistol in an assailants ear and squeeze off a round, I never want to even nick an innocent while doing so!

Tom

Tom - I am not sure your choice of shot would stop or even significantly slow in a typical home wall.  While visiting my parents in Texas, Dad handed me a "Snake charmer" short barreled shotgun pre-loaded with buckshot when we went to go check on the pig traps.  Sorry, but I do not know the size of shot or make of the shotgun off the top of my head, but I DO know that at 125+ yards, I put 3 fatal pellets into a pesky wild hog.  I learned that day not to underestimate the effective distance of buckshot, that is for sure sure!

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2012, 11:01:51 am »
What makes it through the invader should be stopped, or rendered pretty much harmless by a wall...
It might not be as effective if you miss the guy, but where Tom lives, once its through that wall. it's not going to make it to one of his neighbors.

An SKS on the other hand...

I've shot through 2 trees and still took down a deer with the shot.
Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)

Offline tomw

• Not as bad as you might think
  • Senior Moderator
  • hoplophobic people will fear my lifestyle
    • Zubbly's photos!
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2012, 12:44:48 pm »

My .308 (7.62 NATO) and my 30:06 both would go through an intruder, their car, a wall and make it to town with enough oomph to knock a man down maybe for good.

That 30:06 round is just shy of 3 and a half inches long. The .308 is just over 2 and three quarters inches long. Both shoot the same diameter projectile.

Maybe striiderr does not know what #4 shot is?

It is NOT buckshot it is birdshot and only .130" diameter. Smaller than a BB (.170") by a third.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ?° ?? ?°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Offline striider

• No Personal Text Set by User
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2012, 11:22:49 pm »
 Ah good point - in my mind, I was thinking #000 not #4.   

#000    Buck    4.54 g (70 gr.)    9.14 mm (0.360")

That's all I will put in mine at home is bird shot too, and that's where I was going, but my mind was in full sleep deprivation.

Offline ghurd

• Global Moderator
    • GHurd Solar
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2012, 10:25:02 pm »

"back in the day"...
I think it was an SKS, may have been an AK, not difference both 7.62x39...
Green laquer German steel core (not AP) surplus ammo was almost free...
Somebody dumped an old cast iron looking bath tub WAY back in the woods probably 25 years before that, if it says anything about the quality/thickness of the materials.
That green German stuff would punch through both sides with no signs of slowing down, even at like ~75 yards (or as far away as I could see it in the woods).  Not 'broken' holes, but nice clean holes.
G-

Offline Bryan1

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2012, 05:27:56 am »
Years ago when I was living up in the northern eastern mallee way back before we lost our right to guns the SKS was the general gun for roo shooting etc. oh and watching bunnies explode. One afternoon as I cleaning up a pig carcass next thing it felt like my ear drums had burst as my mate pulled out a SKK and 30 seconds later a 44 gal drum was cut in half. My mate said it was all in good fun until he saw the farm ute further on riddled with bullet holes and it wasn't such a good joke then.........