9 (12.5%)
Grid Tie Profits
0 (0%)
For Education
4 (5.6%)
Planning for Future
9 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Author Topic: Why do You want Renewable Energy? -Poll-  (Read 12073 times)

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
Re: Why do You want Renewable Energy? -Poll-
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2015, 10:18:16 am »
Yeah no doubt, yet they will STILL want to regulate and tax us.
Mostly because its not funding some big conglomerate that lines the gov coffers and pockets.
Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)

Offline Jethro Tull

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2015, 02:49:19 am »
I am in my fourth semester of studying Sustainability Technologies. I was always interested in renewable energy but now I have career interests.

Offline MadScientist267

• Impossible Condition Curator
  • Rules? What rules?
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2015, 02:55:48 am »
Hi Jethro, and welcome to AP.

Steve
Wanted: Schrödinger's cat, dead and alive.

Offline bj

• Lamont, Alberta, Canada
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2015, 07:32:11 am »
    As Steve said, Welcome Jethro.  You will find a fair amount of diverse knowledge here,
and some very helpful people.
"Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while"
bj

Offline Jethro Tull

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2015, 08:55:02 am »
Thank you folks!

I'm already having a great time lurking around and reading various threads. :)

Offline A of J

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2015, 02:09:15 am »
RE for me is a way of life and a necessity, no grid power here, not that I want it since RE IMHO is equal in cost with mains power with far greater reliability if one knows what one is doing.

Allan

Offline augustus

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2016, 04:20:50 am »
when i was building my holiday house the local electricity provider  the hydroelectric commission condemned my power poll in error and cut off the electricity, it was the best thing they ever did. After starting with 2 x 12vtelco batteries and a couple of solar panels we have gradually graduated to a 1600w 600amp 24v system, and as we had warning we took into account the need for some 24v power circuits, ie to run the fridge full time with no inverter involved, and Led lighting etc.
we love our off grid house and fully intend to live there full time, still on solar.

Offline kitestrings

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2016, 08:05:18 pm »
I worked in (small) wind when I was young.  That's when I got hooked.  I carved my first blade on a picnic table for fun one day.  Put it up on a mast on the peak of our barn and watched it spin.  It was there for years.

I used to read Popular Mechanics/Science, and one day I read this article about the NASA program, and how they were using these new, space-age solar panels to convert light to electricity.  They had a picture of one.  It was about 20 watts and cost $1,800 IIRC.  I thought...this is going to change the world.  I was right...it just has taken a little longer than I'd expected.

I started experimenting with RE more and more.  We started seeing/selling some rotary inverters at work.  My first inverter was a hoot. It was 12V and used about 20amps just to light the damn thing up.  It also cropped the screen of a small TV.  Still, I was proud because cobbled up a latching circuit to turn it on from multiple sources.

As crazy as it all seems, I now work for a small, rural Coop.  I'm still off-grid.  And guess what, solar has taken off, we're looking seriously at distributed storage, and new 'electro-technologies' (like cold-climate heat pumps, induction evaporators - for sugar-makers, EV charging...and I thought I was just out there.  Well, okay I am, but so are you if you're reading ;>]

~ks

Offline MadScientist267

• Impossible Condition Curator
  • Rules? What rules?
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2016, 10:06:48 pm »
LOL kitestrings... I can vouch for the very last part...

Why I started and why I'm still in it are almost two different things... but the common element is that magically pulling power out of the sky was just too irresistible to ever ignore. It all started with that little solar motor kit that radio shack had, along with those little radiometers found in novelty shops.

From there, my first "real" panel was an 8W jobbie scavenged from a solar sunroof vent that I got for dirt cheap while working at a tint shop... that thing sat atop more experiments than I can even count nevermind remember... and then one day I was given a couple of 30W 12V nominal panels... and that was the beginning of the end... I nearly completed a "solar theater" (power control/management for a tiny laptop and a small amplifier).

Somewhere along the lines, they needed to be repurposed to keep a cell phone charged (well, one actually... the other didn't make it..  a sad sad story). This grew over time into what it is today... 800W sitting on top of a uhaul that's been converted into a life raft, and as of this writing, has a week under it's belt completely out of testing and running in "fly or die" mode. It's a rough ride but also a lot of fun. Sure have learned a lot about not just what's necessary but myself as well... and there's no end of any of that in sight ;)

Steve
Wanted: Schrödinger's cat, dead and alive.

Offline solarnewbee

• Cayenne Dashboard
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2017, 01:45:32 pm »
I know, old thread but I'm bored.

My addiction started with the desire to not pay the grid when I retire to the PI.
Small pension from the VA makes for careful budgeting. Many threads here have fueled my
New passion for RE and automating my installation.

😊
SN

Any day above ground is a day for potential mishaps

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2017, 01:51:08 pm »
That is pretty much our reason here as well now.
Energy independence given the cost has been creeping up so much is pretty much vital for our plans when we get older.

Maintenance may become an issue, but one problem at a time.
Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)

Offline DJ

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2017, 06:40:39 am »

Nice for people to be able to admit it's cost without having the green, save the planet BS rammed down their throats as some places as mandated by the powers that be require you to think.

I'm the same.
Recently moved into large new digs with the associated running costs.
I calculated just this morning that based on the last weeks power consumption, our power bill will be in excess of $900 per quarter. It could be a LOT more than that because this area is very warm and once summer comes, the AC will be a necessity not a luxury.  My brother in law up the road pays over $1600 for his power per quarter.

I have set up a solar system in the yard I'm testing atm.  The last week has shown that will save around $270 per quarter in what it generates/ offsets.
The plan is to put at least 3 times more panels on the roof to get the power bill down as much as possible. I have the space to do it and using second hand panels, I should be able to recoup the cost in 6-9 months tops.

I don't much care for the green part of RE. All that despite the flavour of the month hype is a crock. I'm also going to set up my lister engine to drive a generator running on used oil to make power to offset my bill. Solar is a lot easier in the long run and requires next to no maintenance and has no wear and tar to speak of.  Might need to replace the inverter in a few years but that will be a justifiable purchase as well.
Like when I got into running my vehicle on veg oil, I'm interested in solar RE for the savings. If it does the planet good in the process, bonus. If Not, meh. I can't change the world and am not interested in trying.

I have to say I really get fed up with the over hyping of RE. Like anything else it has it's limitations but the greenwashed/ lefties blow it out of all proportion and tout it as the savior of the world which it is not. Here they have been literally blowing up coal fired power stations. That's caused the states that have made much hoo haa about being all renewable loose power completely and widespread rolling blackouts.
Lots of excuses but the truth everyone can see is the greenwashed wanted to push the agenda too hard, too fast and fell on their green arses.

I read yesterday where an energy company that is pushing the green line wants to close a coal power station it owns. The Gubbermint has done a complete backflip and is imploring them and offering incentives to keep it open. Same Gubbermint that only months ago was denouncing coal and pushing the green line. Guess they must have worked out how severe the voter backlash was when the lights went out and are not trying to save face and their backsides.

Renewable is all good and well but it has to be kept realistic in it's application, implementation and limitations rather than just touted as the perfect. flawless solution the proponents like to push it as. It's NOT the solution to the worlds energy problems, never will be and need to be looked at honestly and factually so it can in fact be applied to besnt and most beneficial use.