Author Topic: Our Inverter  (Read 9674 times)

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
Our Inverter
« on: January 04, 2012, 01:37:27 am »
After outgrowing a couple of modded UPSs  we upgraded to a Xantrex DR2436 in... 2006 ( I think) 

Its a 24volt 3600 watt (M)odified (S)ine (W)ave inverter
The idea was to pair a set of these  for 240 volt, but for the cost verses the need has never made it on to our priority list
This has done very good for us, though being  MSW, it made for a few considerations. Things like GFI have to be compatible, ceiling fans can not be cheap ones, clocks inthe house have to be battery operated.
Just a lot of little things.

Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)

Offline rossw

• Senior Moderator
  • Grumpy-old-Unix-Admin
Re: Our Inverter
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 02:25:43 am »
This has done very good for us, though being  MSW, it made for a few considerations on what it can run well. and things like GFI have to be compatible, ceiling fans can not be cheap ones, clocks inthe house have to be battery operated.
Just a lot of little things.

At least you didn't try to sell us on 6V MSW being able to do everything a man could ever want!

I agree, MSW can be an acceptable solution, as long as you're aware of its limitations and are able to (and prepared to) work around them.

5 years on and still working isn't a bad start :)

Offline halfcrazy

• Central Maine
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 06:56:13 am »
Those sure where a tough inverter I still have 2 old ones in my garage just in case.

Offline ChrisOlson

• just trying to survive
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 08:46:29 am »
What did Trace Engineering ever build that wouldn't withstand nuclear holocaust and still work?

The day we woke up for the second time in two weeks with no power my wife took over as Supreme Allied Commander and she issued a directive that I go buy a decent inverter no matter what it takes.

I found two brand new (in never opened boxes) Sine Wave Plus 4024's, plus the stacking/comm cable, T240 load balancing autotransformer, Generator Start Module, Aux Load Module, and AC Conduit Boxes.

The guy that owns the RE place that had this equipment hemmed and hawed over the price on it.  I told him I figured since the XW replaced the SW that I should get a really good deal on them inverters.  He looked at me and frowned and said, "One of them inverters is worth more than two Outbacks."  Then finally told me $6,500 for the whole shebang.

It took two men and a small boy to carry each one of them inverters out the to truck and it took three men to get each one up into place and get 'em bolted to the wall.  And my wife has been happy ever since   ;D
--
Chris

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 08:56:41 am »
And I was dreading moving mine again, but those inverters sound like you need an engine hoist  to put into place.

I have to move these from a small shed that is now in pretty bad shape.When we first moved here the shed was like new, but the years go on and its been rotting from the bottom up. I guess the trees growing so close in the back and sides it doesn't ever let it dry out. We have built a new garage attached to the house and moved all of the house feeds, wiring and breakers out in to the garage. I planned a spot just for this inverter and one just like it, but have put off that move day far to long now.
It's amazing how many things you can do and how many excuses you can come up with to convince yourself that the new spots not ready..

Offline tomw

• Not as bad as you might think
  • Senior Moderator
  • hoplophobic people will fear my lifestyle
    • Zubbly's photos!
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 10:24:25 am »
Yep, real inverters have heft to them.

My Outback FX2524 tips the scale at 70# the (same rated) Chinese inverter it replaced weighed maybe 15. Go figure. Obviously the Chinese unit died and became "cannon fodder" the cannon being a Colt Anaconda in .44 Magnum / .44 special "bear Loads"  with 240 grain jacketed Keith form hollow points.

Glad you got Ma happy, cuz we all know if Ma ain't happy ain't nobody happy!

Glad to see you here, Chris.

Just like this puppy but black Pachmyr grips

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ?° ?? ?°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Offline ChrisOlson

• just trying to survive
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 11:12:47 am »
I'm not totally certain what them SW+ Xantrex inverters weigh, but I think it's about 140 lbs each, give or take.  The DC end that the three huge transformers in it is the heaviest end.

We had two Schumacher MSW inverters that worked flawless for 6 years.  Then I decided to "upgrade", got a couple new shiny Asian inverters and had nothing but problems.  The Asian inverters were "5 kW", but that's Asian kilowatts, which are different than regular kilowatts.  With Asian kilowatts you only need #10 wire for 40 amps   ;D

The Xantrex inverters will deliver 14.4 kVa each for 9 seconds, and 5 kVa for about five minutes.  I run my welder with them all the time, in unison all the other "normal" loads, and they don't even breathe hard.  My wife can dry a load of clothes with our electric clothes dryer and it don't work them hard enough to get the cooling fans to come on.  Try that with Asian kilowatts and there wouldn't be enough left of the inverter for Tom's Colt to finish off.

BTW Wolvenar - is that a TR or a DR-series inverter?  It actually sort of looks like a DR to me.
--
Chris

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 06:17:42 pm »
You are most certainly correct, its a DR version
I purchased this from invertersrus on ebay years back

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 09:40:31 am »
As long as I had my inverter offline to move, I figured now would be a good time to open it up and blow out the spiderwebs
so I took some pics of it too.

Offline oztules

• Forum Advisors
  • Village idiot
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 01:50:17 pm »
Perhaps test the cap bank and see if any need replacement before they destroy the inverter later on.

I admit to a fetish..... I like seeing the insides of electrical equipment....

.................oztules
Flinders Island...... Australia