Author Topic: Chili recipes  (Read 4628 times)

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
Chili recipes
« on: August 12, 2012, 04:52:13 am »
It's getting around that time of the year again.
The gardens producing, the weather is getting cooler,  and I start thinking about making chili.

I have been playing with many variations of a recipe for years, I think its time to try some totally new tricks.

Anyone willing to share?

I will put up the recipe my friend and I have been tweaking for years
When I can actually work it out again.
We don't have it written down, I always just remember it as I go along.
So I have to be able to get in that mode or I just draw a blank.
Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)

Offline WooferHound

• Technowhiz
  • Global Moderator
  • Huntsville Alabama USA
    • My personal webpage
Re: Chili recipes
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 08:55:34 pm »
Which brings up the age old question . . . With Beans, or Without ?
I really like beans in my Chile, plus I can annoy my friends all day by eating Chili with beans.
People ask me "What do I grow in my Veggie Garden"? I tell them that I grow Chili and Spaghetti.

I make my chili in a 2 gallon pot, then bag it up in individual portions with ZipLock bags and freeze them. After I've eaten an old bag of my frozen Chili, I've been heard to say "I really made some great chili 4 months ago". Don't really use a Recipe but I'll try and write something down here that others could possibly follow.

5 parts- Tomatoes
4 parts- Hamburger or whatever dead animal you like
3 parts- Onions
3 parts- Pinto Beans
1 part- Peppers, Cayenne is more flavorful, Jalapeno is OK but less flavor and more hot.
Spices to Taste- Basil, Garlic, Cumin, Salt

In the 2 Gallon pot, I'll put 5 pounds of Ground Chuck and around 8 medium sized onions cut up, and let this cook up until the water is boiled out and the onions start to stick to the bottom of the pot and turn brown or black. Then drain the fat as much as possible for health reasons.

While the meat is cooking I'll boil water in another small pan and Blanch the tomatoes. Just put the tomatoes into the boiling water for about 30 seconds and then remove them with some tongs or other grabber tool. This will loosen the skin making it easy to remove it when you start slicing the tomatoes. I'll use between 20 and 30 tomatoes to make this much chili.

After the meat is cooked and the tomatoes are blanched, I'll turn off the heat completely and start to cut up the other ingredients into the mix. Now it is best to add the fresh Peppers, Garlic Cumin powder and Basil so it gets cooked really good.
Blanching the tomatoes makes it easy to remove the skin. Remove the skin as it makes eating chili a bit unpleasant.
Then start slicing and dicing the Tomatoes and Onions into the pot. Add the beans if you like them, I like pinto beans from large cans but dried beans, properly cooked, can be used here too.

Then I start to crank up the heat again. The tomatoes will melt and provide all of the liquid for the chili. When the onions become cooked clear, I consider the chili finished. I don't like cooking any longer than is necessary to cook the onions clear, keeping the ingredients as fresh as possible.

I let the whole pot cool off on top of a heatsink over night, and then cut up more fresh tomatoes into the pot. Stir this up really good and start bagging it up for the freezer. This way, there are fresh uncooked tomatoes frozen into the Chili which really improves the flavor after being frozen

----- W o o f e r h o u n d -----
My Renewable Energy Projects