Author Topic: Building a 6kw pure sine wave inverter using power jack boards part2 the guts..  (Read 35809 times)

Offline MarNet

180 will be then, i`m afraid as well because i don`t want to have an output of 180x1.33= 239.9V ... wont affect ?

i double checked with the clockman 60mmsq core , with this formula he have 2V /turn x 118 so he had 236V on testing for 236 V correct ?

regarding my tests, i had the bulb in series and was off ...
i don`t know where to check to see the 0.01V as per picture, is between coil start and finish with the bulb in series right?
by the way. i ordered an PJ main board and control board from China. i`ll see if the invertor is ready by the end of the next week .

Offline oztules

• Village idiot
If the bulb had gone off or almost off, then there is no current of consequence flowing... it cannot blow a fuse... maybe an RCD contactor ( residual current device).

My guess was 2.1v/turn for clockman. I can't recall what he actually got.

"i don`t know where to check to see the 0.01V as per picture, is between coil start and finish with the bulb in series right?"
I have no idea what your asking ... what picture, and what .01v are we looking for..... and there should be 230v across the start  to  finish of your primary without the globe, and .. maybe 180v with the globe in series with 230vac.

"180 will be then, i`m afraid as well because i don`t want to have an output of 180x1.33= 239.9V ... wont affect ?"
We want to wind a transformer with 230v or more secondary and a 30v primary ( for 48v system). It is pretty flexable, as it is the pwm train of pulses that determine the output voltage, not so much the transformer..... we match it reasonably to keep the efficiency up, and saturation down.... but in theory, almost any transformer can be made to work.... albeit fleetingly or terribly if too far away from spec.

...........oztules
Flinders Island...... Australia

Offline ClockmanFrance

Yes Sorry, not much sense out of me as I am just getting over the MAN Flue/Influenza.

Yes I got 2.1v with the 118 turns, but I could have gone for 15 turns on the primary instead of 14.

But other things come into consideration................... After due consideration of 'oztules' logical 60,000 word of wisdom......

1. I will be using the AC Coupling back charging facility through the toroid so the headroom is approx. 250v.

2. I might also be using low 48v battery voltages, ie getting down I have more space...

"If we wind for a few more volts than we want, our saturation is further away... so say 240 or 260v for a 220v system gives us leeway and lower magnetising current  ... from there about 1:8  primary : secondary.. "

3.  I added more turns than the suggested minimum of 114, and ended up with 118, because for me it was a darn site easier to remove a couple of turns than to add them at a later stage if need be.

At the time Oztules you did remark that the PJ toroid's seemed better metal.

But interestingly I found this comment by the manufacturers AirLink Transformers........

"Magnetic Degradation...... Occurs when toroidal cores are impregnated with varnish or epoxy coated.
Light impregnated varnish +15%..........Epoxy coated +40%."

My stripped PJ cores were just lightly coated with varnish, where my AirLink cores got glass fibre and epoxy, so I might rethink the core joining process and keep the coating absolutely minimal.

Personally, I am not particularly worried about the magnetic degradation as the OzInverter works and does its job. And besides Reducing degradation may lead to other ramifications.

Offline MarNet

i`ll try to do more test tomorrow
i just have sore eyes today ... the lovely irish weather ...
thank you for the infos .

Offline MarNet

i have 180 turns now ....
connected to 230VAC and fuse was blown off :)
i replaced the fuse and then i start testing ...
it buzzed  for a second and after is very silent .
the 4 turns coil shows up 4.7V so its 1.175V /turn right?
any sugestion ?

Offline MarNet

ok with 170 turns i have 1.3 turn per volt. i have got 9.1V on 7 turn coil
on 177 turns i have got 8.5V on 7 turn coil
by the formula i got 1.3 V/turn so i think that i`ll be save with 180 turns

Offline oztules

• Village idiot
You can see how much it changes by changing the primary 230v winding...... the flux goes up as you decrease the turns... but so too does the magnetising current.

If you go 180turns ( for the now secondary in inverter mode)), you will get better idle figures, for the sake of an extra turn or so on the primary.... less magnetising current = less idle current.

........oztules

Offline MarNet

I got it now. Thank you oztules

Offline MarNet

The dhl man delivered the boards today

Offline MarNet

Ok, there is the toroidal transformer ready for resin.
Then I'll wrap it again with Nomex foil and Kapton tape.

Offline ClockmanFrance

Oztules.... Any ideas where I may obtain some more of those PJ battery insulated terminal, 10mm threaded, posts connectors from.

Not sure what the industry calls them, I can not seem to find any, yes, I could make some by turning and boring some PVC dowel rod, but time is.......

Thanks

Offline oztules

• Village idiot
For a reasonable price... no

I just use 10mm nylon? cable glands, cut them up a bit, and use 10mm s/steel nuts and bolts.. works very well... :)

Like these
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/20Pcs-Strain-Relief-PG11-Glands-Connector-Joints-for-5-10mm-Dia-Cable-/391218076765?hash=item5b166a1c5d:g:raEAAOSwzhVWrmJp

They provide the insulation after you cut the top off.. then butcher some 50mm 10mm s/steel bolts and nuts...... and there you have it.

Marnet... I like the hole size  :)

...............oztules

Offline RFburns

These are x'e items and fabricating your own is the best solution for high current . links below show some - the bluesea ones are sold by many other companies and are $$

http://www.amazon.com/Moroso-74145-Black-Panel-Connector/dp/B000COO1Q8
https://www.efihardware.com/products/1593/submersible-pump-bulk-head-terminals
https://www.bluesea.com/products/2202/Terminal_Feed_Through_Connector_-_5_16in-18_Studs_%5BRed%5D
Get With It ,Get Over It , Get On With It ...Or Leave

Cheap and reliable wont be fast.
Cheap and fast wont be reliable.
Reliable and fast wont be cheap.

Offline ClockmanFrance

Thanks 'RFburns' for those links.

Several months ago I saw them on fleebay China, listed somewhere bizarre, but silly me I did not take a note.

Thanks 'oztules', yes your method is admirable, and duly added.

Offline MarNet

hi all
for oztules : how many turns do you think that will be for the primary coil? do we target the 30v? i contacted the PJ manufacturer and they told me that: "all the transformers are the same just dc voltage and watt are different"

Do i need a EMI Filter ?
I have ordered the lcd`s and some conformal coating lacquer.
It is ok if i spray the boards in both sides with conformal coating lacquer ?
thank you