Author Topic: Building a 6kw pure sine wave inverter using power jack boards part2 the guts..  (Read 34271 times)

Offline MarNet

I ordered a new board anyway.
Thank you

Offline MarNet

Clockman,  i have contacted airlink regarding Mylar tape. They have 50 microns tape, 20mm wide on 2.5kg reels. Yours 200m of tape was the same? 50 microns tape won't be too soft? Thank you

Offline ClockmanFrance

Yes 50micron, 0.050mm will do you fine.

AirLink do genuine Mylar, and 50 micron will work fine.

I do not like the Chinese's stuff, although just slightly thicker than 50 micron, it just rips and snaps away.

Have fun. 

Offline MarNet

what length you had in a 2.5kg reel? 200m?

Offline ClockmanFrance

Rough, back of envelope, 2.5kg reel at 50 micron thick is about 700 to 800 meters long.

Offline MarNet

The toroidal cores arrived today. Silicone steel band ...

Clockman i used the link what you provided :
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370597734866?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
guess what , i got banned for 48 hours
i rang them, and they told me that :"is the system who banned you until 14/01/2014. we can`t do anything about that"
i LOVE ebay .....

Offline ClockmanFrance

E Core ,ferrite core from Bulgaria.

I just got another last week........
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370597734866?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Works for me.

Offline MarNet

probably because i was logged in my mobile and laptop on the same time with different ip address.
I understand now why your cores had an insert. My cores are oval :)
anyway, the Mylar tape from UK comes expensive. is not expensive if you get it with the cores so you dont have to pay delivery twice.
the copper wire supplier have Nomex tape , 190 microns tape on 3 layers. Specially for industrial transformers. The tape is 1m wide and probably 10-14m long, basically 1 kg. You can roll it up and slice it so you have a roll of 20mm wide and 10m long.
This Nomex tape comes in 100kg  roll and its 7 euro /kg, so i`ll see saturday how is it

Offline MarNet

hi everyone
my copper wire supplier provided me Nomex transformer insulator sheet . The sheet is 1m long and about 30 cm wide so i cut it on 2cm bands at 1m long.

the toroidal cores are joined toghether with resin and fiberglass.

i tested with a cable but i dont see any voltage drop ...
i think i`m ready to do the winding ....
we target 230V ? i mean oztools told me that he belives there will be 1.4v /turn ... so there will be 165 turns/winding?
thank you

Offline MarNet

hi everyone
i did the first core winding.
 165 turns 1.8 mm wire ... tested with the light bulb, all good
i connected transformer to 230vAC and i made  2 test coils:
one of 1.8mm wire 4 turns and i have got 4.6VAC , 1.15V turn
one of 2.5mm cable, 7 turns and i have got 8.3VAC, 1.18V turn
Then the fuse blowed off :) , worked for a while so i done my tests
I have 165 turns so i have to add 35 more turns for 230VAC

Offline MarNet

ok,
i have 205 turns now and i still have problems ...
keep blowing my fuse after 2-3 minutes of usage
now on the testing coils i have: 4 turns coil 3.9-4v, 7 turns coil 7.2v ...
i`m confused. any help will be appreciated
thank you

Offline MarNet

i think i got it :
TPV = 1 / (4.44 × 10^-4 ×40 × 1.5 × 50)
where formula:TPV = 1 / (4.44 × 10^-4 × CA × Flux Density × AC frequency)

for clockman , on 60cmsq core 1 / (4.44 × 10^-4 × 60 × 1.5 × 50) = 0.500 tpv x 230 =  115 turns
for my core what is only 40cmsq  1 / (4.44 × 10^-4 ×40 × 1.5 × 50) = 0.750 tpv  x 230vac =  172-173 turns ... 175 will do
i had a confusion because some people use a constant of 42 and the formula is 42/core area = TPV so 42/40 = 1.05 TPV . for 230V needs 241 turns ...  :o

i don't understand why its blowing off the fuse ??
the light bulb in series is off .... in between the coil terminals shuld be 0V ?

Offline oztules

• Village idiot
Sorry for the silence... been stupid busy.

It is good to see you have a formula for the turn per volt. 
My observed rule of thumb is within 10% out from your proper equation... Generally if anything is within <10% electrically, all should be good enough to work very near properly.... the steel may be different too.

However, your test data says 1.15 volts per turn.... thats very different to the rule of thumb I use, and your formula... your steel seems to be very different, or your input voltage was low....... odd..... was the light globe still in series?

You should have had huge noise and very very serious heat,  if you can blow your fuse once it is running ( 3 mins means 20 amps for a 10 amp o/load.... this is unlikely and will present as a 5kw heater.. I think you would notice this....) if the tranny is at fault... are you sure it cant be current leakage  ( RCD triggering) rather than fuse.

If the tranny stays cold ( and I think it should with that many turns)... it is not from current overload... find something else doing it.
If the tranny gets hot... I have no idea at all, as there is enough turns there for your published core size to not be saturated for my money.

Only on turn on will the thing blow every fuse in the street, after that it is very very small power consumption comparatively..... in the milliamps, not amps... maybe 150-200 ma or thereabouts.

...............oztules

Flinders Island...... Australia

Offline MarNet

i understand i`m busy too
so basically i should be ok with 175 turns right?
that will be 233.3VAC ....
let me know your opinion about that.
the steel is the same as clockman`s  1.5Tesla 50Hz
thank you

Offline oztules

• Village idiot
Yes 175 looks on the money, but I would go 180 or more just to stay further away from saturation..( keep idle currents as low as possible.)
I have no idea on the figures of my steel..... suppose I could work your formula backwards... :o

............oztules
Flinders Island...... Australia