Author Topic: Building a 6kw pure sine wave inverter using power jack boards part2 the guts..  (Read 34196 times)

Offline MarNet

The only thing that I'm worried about is the weight. In the invoice i have postage weight 4kg. I should check that tomorrow.
I'm thinking,  should i stack 3 of them together or 2 are enough?  I meam i can run a 1.5-2kw water pump or so correct?
By the way I'm trying to fix a 1.5kw inverter
I'm very disappointed about that 1.5kw rate when i see the small transformers..

Offline oztules

• Village idiot
You can't compare HF transformers to LF transformers in size.... not even in materials.

The HF units run with  high frequency square waves ( PWM), so require less turns per volt.... so a few dozen turns might give you 320v output.... totally different thing.

A single core of the size you said will get you 1.5kw cont.... if you wind for it.

Fixing the hf inverter is usually not that hard if only the fets go, and don't take the drivers with them... else a throw away..... unless your dedicated and stubborn.
It will usually be the hv fets ( 4 of them at top), the push pull ones generally survive.

...............oztules

Flinders Island...... Australia

Offline MarNet

hi
i`m buying the stuff for the transformer
i would like to know if this type of tape is ok for that
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/High-Temperature-Kapton-Polyimide-Tape-BGA-5-10-20-50-100-200mm-x-33m-RepRap-/321319356763?var=&hash=item4ad020495b:m:m983l94tkErJnfLBoYA_g5w

anyway, the inverter send 2 impulses of 230v an then is getting back to fault mode (don`t know why)
one thing is clear, now i know more about inverters :)

Offline ClockmanFrance

That Kapton polymide stuff is one sided adhesive, and I see that they do not do a size about 18mm wide.

Here is a paragraph, rough draft, from my book I am doing regards me making the OzInverter No1 and the Big No 2.

"Mylar tape, or Molinex, Nomex ? my observations.

The trick is keeping it tight, and wrapping it right, let it go or drop the bobbin and a birds nest ensues.....

I obtained 200m 18mm wide and 0.085mm thick from the supplier of my toroid bare cores, but sadly it was not enough but was just correct for thickness.

The PowerJack toroid I dismantled had super thin stuff, 0.065mm, that very easily broke, but I managed to salvage most in small runs, I just used the adhesive backed Mylar tape to do the joins.

The Mylar tape I get from the USA...... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181696004499?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT ..... is 0.125mm thick, but i found that it is just to thick.
 Especially when its not flexible enough to allow the next winding of the secondary to fit down in the gap of the previous winding, especially on the internal centre hole windings. But it does come oval shape and goes down a 62mm dia hole okay without having to unwind..........

I half lap the Mylar tape on its self on the exterior of the toroid, and I do 2off complete wraps as a minimum, with the super thin breaking stuff I did 3off wraps, Waste not.

Don't forget the epoxy resin on each secondary winding before you cover it with Mylar tape. I like the thin viscosity stuff that I mix and lightly paint on.
 I have some thin Molinex sheet that I put under the whole toroid to collect any excess resin.
 The following evening turn the toroid over, peel off the Molinex sheet, Mylar tape on the hardened, but still soft, epoxy resin coated winding, and then next copper wire winding goes on."

As I said I could do with another Mylar supplier source, 800 meters, at about 0.085mm thick and 18mm wide.

I trust this helps?

Offline oztules

• Village idiot
"anyway, the inverter send 2 impulses of 230v an then is getting back to fault mode (don`t know why)
one thing is clear, now i know more about inverters :)"
Try to find the current sense resistor... I suspect it is high impedance now... and this is causing the pulse... it thinks it is over current, shuts down, tries again.. shuts off... just a guess.

................oztules

Offline MarNet

Them ones?

000 R on reading.
according to the color code should be a 0.1R resistor ...
seems like i have to find a different way to check them ....

Offline rossw

• Senior Moderator
  • Grumpy-old-Unix-Admin
i have to find a different way to check them ....

Two (perhaps all three) of them are in parallel. That makes it 0.05 or 0.03 ohms.
Hard to measure that accurately with a normal DMM.

You really need a 4-wire low-ohms meter. They're expensive and rare.
Another thing you CAN do, is to pass a known current through them - I'd suggest 1 amp (this will require a decent power supply, because it'll be quite a low voltage).... but when you have 1.00A, now take your multimeter and measure the voltage across them. Measure from "outside" where you've applied the power. EG, with little alligator clip leads clipped on the resistor leads as close to the body of the resistor as you can, measure the voltage at the outer end of the tails - NOT on the alligator clips, because there you will also be measuring the clip-to-lead resistance.

Expect 1 volt for every ohm. So if you measure 0.1V, it's 0.1R. If you measure 50mV then it's 0.05R etc. It's generally much easier to read low volts than low ohms.

Offline oztules

• Village idiot
I was hoping for your sake they were open circuit or thereabouts. Your measurements confirm they seem to be fine.... it would not mater if they were 2 ohms probably, as with no load they would drop very little, and the over current circuit would not come on....worth a try anyway.

You seem to have some other problem it has found to try the voltage, but fail... current resistors was a good place to try.

...........oztules

Offline MarNet

Thank you ross
I'll try that

oztulez, actually you're right, i have got 320v-450 pulse and then went to fault mode. When this inverter stopped working,  was beside me and i can heard the water pump working in 2 different speeds. Exacly like you're reving your engine.

Offline oztules

• Village idiot
Almost sounds like the pwm chip is not seeing any feedback from the hvac line.... see if there is an open resistor in this line.
Normal start up seems to be float the pulse width up until proper voltage is found.. if not found, then collapse, and try again...

..............oztules

Offline MarNet

I have checked the control board. The caps look bad for some reason....

Clockman did you get winding tape from airlinktrabsformers UK? If yes, how much is it? Seems like this tape is more expensive than copper :) i have copper for 10 euro /kg

Offline rossw

• Senior Moderator
  • Grumpy-old-Unix-Admin
I have checked the control board. The caps look bad for some reason....

Congrats. You have won the "Understatement of the month" award!

Offline ClockmanFrance

Crikey!...... even to my untrained eye, those caps look deceased.

Its the multi colour rainbow effect on that processor chip pin outs that looks interesting.........!

Yes, Airlink sent 200 meters of mylar tape with my order, the Mylar cost me £15 GBP.

And Yes getting hold of the correct mylar, thickness and width, is not so easy. A UK importer said he could get me 1,000s of meters, as they import it by the 1m width, but then they would have to cut it. Cost was prohibitive.
Been searching on Allibba etc but not much Joy.

Offline MarNet

Well they're very small caps and i was thinking they're dirty,  when i had a closer look i seen the paint peeling off . What caused that i don't know...

Clockman, my ordee from uk was dispatched :) I'll see if I'll get any Mylar tape from airlinktransformers

Thank you very much for the help. Much appreciated

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
MarNet, notice the bulging top and bottom, possibly .. err probably leaking.

Either these are very cheap incorrectly made caps.
Maybe they have somehow seen the wrong end of power or AC leakage.
Would be nice to get a scope in there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague#Visual_capacitor_symptoms

Close up of the caps shows this pretty well. The goo like stuff that was described as peeling paint, may very well be the leaking  electrolyte pooling.
In it's normal mounting position, are we looking up at what would be pointing down? Perhaps it was stored oriented with this side we are looking at down?
Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)