Author Topic: Wind turbine  (Read 3069 times)

Offline TurboMiles

Wind turbine
« on: October 29, 2016, 02:21:17 pm »
I have owned a China made HYE 1000 L turbine for the last 3 years, 1 of which is was bladeless.  Recently I lowered the 55' tower, modified the tail and fin to fit the size of the rotor per windy nations diy chart and replaced the broken blades with the G5 blades, 80" diameter.  It tracks 100% better now but it isn't making much power.  The China grid tie inverters that I have lean on the turbine too hard when it comes up to voltage and slows the turbine that it falls below 22v where the inverter turns on.  I need to make more speed from the blades before inverter comes online.  Was thinking about a dc to dc converter, but the voltage is always changing.  Any help would be appreciated. 

Offline lighthunter

Re: Wind turbine
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 06:29:45 pm »
You need a "transmission" between turbine and load (inverter).

One way is a pwm driven fet.
Put an n-channel mosfet between the neg terminal of inverter and the turbine wire. Also decent size electrolytic capacitor across inverter input leads. (1000uF+). Then choose a pwm control for the fet gate. (555pwm ckt) or arduino or plc output or if you really want cheap ebay has dimmers like this for $5 that could drive a mosfet gate real well. You would have to set up a relay to bypass the fet once the wind speed was sufficient. Take a little bit of effort to connect up but not too bad. I made a control like this that went up to 5kw  i cant say reliability was perfect (igbt would blow) but then voltage range was 50-450 and i never had issue with 250v and below.

There are better ways but the dimmer, a fet and a cap, bypass relay may work well.

Another easier option would be a few diodes or low volt heating element in same spot as fet would go, hen a bypass relay once wind was high enough.

Edit(the pwm dimmer in the pic is of an annoying frequency) as long as you dont have to listen to it its fine.
Health Warning: May contain traces of nut!
LH

Offline TurboMiles

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 06:53:31 pm »
Thanks I will have to try the fet cap dimmer and relay. 

Offline oztules

• Forum Advisors
  • Village idiot
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 06:59:41 am »
You could try some resistance in the line. This will lose some power across the resistor, but the increase of TSR will more than make up for this loss.... usually.

...........oztules
Flinders Island...... Australia

Offline TurboMiles

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2016, 06:34:23 am »
I was interested in increasing the speed and after building the device it made the same power.  Turns out the slip ring is worn out.  So my question now is who makes a good quality slip ring with replaceable brushes.  Thanks

Offline Pete

• Mount Barrow Tasmania
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 01:23:14 am »
Hi Turbo you could always look in scrap yards for old electric motors. There should still be some slip ring motors around. Otherwise just get someone with a lathe to make some new rings to fit onto what you have. The slip rings are usually just a press fit onto an insulation material. You could make them from Nylon and get some Brass to machine the rings from.
Another good source could be burnt out portable generators, many of them have pretty good slip rings and brushgear.
Good luck with it.