Author Topic: Need GM radio code  (Read 5806 times)

Offline ghurd

• Global Moderator
    • GHurd Solar
Need GM radio code
« on: July 30, 2012, 08:19:20 pm »
Friend has a GM Chevy 99 Silverado Z71 PU.

Changed the battery.  Stereo won't work.

I have the 1st 3 digit code.  And the 2nd 3 digit code.

Now what?

Anybody know how to unlock the antitheft stuff on this dohickey?

Maybe somebody like TomW would run around with?  ;)

Thanks,
G-

Offline tomw

• Not as bad as you might think
  • Senior Moderator
  • hoplophobic people will fear my lifestyle
    • Zubbly's photos!
Re: Need GM radio code
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 09:08:50 pm »
Top of Google search:

http://www.ehow.com/how_6019382_reset-anti_theft-radio-chevy.html

Not sure how many "codes" you need but the proceedure looks straight forward.

And, when we steal a car we winch it up on a car trailer with a 30 ton Winch and don't even need to take it out of park or release the brakes. :o

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ?° ?? ?°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Offline ghurd

• Global Moderator
    • GHurd Solar
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 06:46:00 am »
Thanks Tom!
That's different than the other places I looked, which involved #800 and dealership ID #s, which must be changed after someone posts them publicly.
G-

Offline MadScientist267

• Impossible Condition Curator
  • Rules? What rules?
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 04:30:32 am »
Ok I've known about all the little anti theft mechanisms that they have been using over the years are all designed with the idea that you can't steal the radio and use it in something else. Ran across a stock mustang 4x25W amp once for example where the speaker output in the connector (8 pins) were arranged in such a way that you simply wouldn't get anything through to the speakers if the amp and car don't match. Piece of cake to defeat, open the amp, trace the outputs to each chip, rearrange pins as desired.

Things only get more complicated from there as each year's next model comes out. Great. All fine and good. I've never bothered to really try and find out why exactly all of this effort takes place, even 20 years after *I* found out about it. But, with the advent of this thread, I'm gonna go ahead and throw it out there...

Who the @#&$ steals a STOCK car radio? I used to be in the car audio biz (how I found out about the scheme mentioned above), and I can indeed confirm that there is in fact an entire underground where regular stereo "exchanges" take place. NEVER did ANYONE mention stealing ANY make, model, revision, spacecraft or any other kind of stock radio. You could throw a pile containing every stock car stereo out on the side of the road in any neighborhood (even THE hood) and come back 6 months later and find that the only thing that has changed is that none of them would work anymore. Not because of an anti theft mechanism prevented it. No. Because rain got in the damn things and ate the boards up. Every last one of them would still be sitting there. So where does all the paranoia in the manufacturers minds come from for this stuff?

Maybe stock car stereos only get stolen in Detroit?  :o

Steve
Wanted: Schrödinger's cat, dead and alive.

Offline rossw

• Senior Moderator
  • Grumpy-old-Unix-Admin
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 05:45:40 am »
So where does all the paranoia in the manufacturers minds come from for this stuff?

Yeah, well, never let the truth stand in the way of a good story.
They do this so they can spruke (is that a word the north-american people know?) long and loud about how they're "doing their bit" to reduce auto theft. Doesn't MATTER that nobody steals stock radios. Obviously their anti-theft measures WORK. That's WHY there's no theft of stock radios, you see? QED!

Marketing. It's all a scam. And don't get me started on "truth in advertising"!!!

Offline ghurd

• Global Moderator
    • GHurd Solar
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 07:28:37 am »
That fix didn't do it either.
Looks like there are just too many variations in the systems, sometimes within the same model year.

Not sure why anyone would steal these things.  They seem to be all different shapes and sizes.  Certainly would not fit in my Prius! LOL
G-

Offline MadScientist267

• Impossible Condition Curator
  • Rules? What rules?
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 03:32:00 pm »
Yup. My sentiment exactly. I really didn't think so. But just in case it was a problem by chance somewhere else here on terra firma, I figured I would poke at it with a stick.  ::)

Steve
Wanted: Schrödinger's cat, dead and alive.

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 10:28:55 pm »
Well..I can for one say our "stock" car stereo would be a target..
But..its a big name "stock" radio  Bose.

This came as a dealer option but considered original equipment.
I have never been a particular fan of Bose but I gotta say that system is pretty sweet for OEM.
Still the anti theft stuff is not all that.. I cracked that little problem for *various* reasons a couple years back.
Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)