Product Information > Product Support

Ideal bridge rectifier

(1/3) > >>

lighthunter:
Anyone tired of loosing 80+ watts in their wind pma rectifier?
Linear technologies has now put a FET driver in a chip that replaces.
the typical diode bridge for extremely high efficiency rectification.

The LTĀ®4320/LT4320-1 are ideal diode bridge controllers that drive four N- channel MOSFETs,

two versions of it one for 0-60 hz and the other for 60-600hz.
appears to auto-track the frequency, i hope  :).  Ive seen these for
smps applications but are quite complex. This is a standalone version.
that connects to the gates of 4 fets and 2 dc leads and 2 ac leads, thats it!!!
the rest is done for you, ok im a little lazy.
ebay prices are way high though, you can get them right from the manufacturer.
for $6 vs ebay for $20. Might even be time.
to update my battery charger....car alternator, quite a.
few applications for that one!

LH

eraser3000:
Very cool, do you have any on the bench yet?

lighthunter:
No I dont! I will order some monday. I am in need of a 48v charger for a large forklift bat.
remote located from my other equipment and since i dont trust pj inverters for charging.
I was looking to build an equivalent circuit for efficiency. Knowing i needed.
a synchronous rectifier to match efficiency i started looking for a.
simple way. I am anxious to see how well it works. I wont be able to throttle.
charge current unless I add some other tricks but i hope i wont need it. I will
post to let you know how it worked out.

LH

MadScientist267:

--- Quote from: lighthunter on October 08, 2016, 10:04:19 pm ---
Ive seen these for smps applications but are quite complex.

LH

--- End quote ---

It's funny you mention this, I was just commenting in IRC about the bridge in my new charger design now being the hottest part (it's plenty sunk)...

I know of a simple way that's basically self-excited synchronous rectification... tho I don't know how (presumably) 3 phase might make things all kinds of screwy. The problem with MOSFETs and AC is... well... both LOL

I have a sync rectifier board here tho that really isn't anything more than what I'll call a "pair" of MOSFETs (2 paralleling arrays of them to increase current capability) driven by a pair of totem poles that cross over each other... there's no control chip whatsoever for it, and it connects to a single coil (no CT)... It *is* a little unusual but only in the sense that it's set up to "catch a forwarder", but a pair of Schottkies works the same way, just with the expected losses. There's an auxiliary supply feed but it's only the excitation for the totem poles for driving the gates (Vcc)... I'm sure it could very easily be turned into each half of a bridge with a little thought.

Or was that the part you were avoiding? :P

Guess I should point out that I haven't done it yet with the design I'm working with right now because the bridge I'm referring to is right at the front of the line to feed a PFC boost converter... a little hairier with (relatively speaking) higher voltages... but at low speeds and voltages like that, I can think of a handful of ways to drive the MOSFETs, none of them all that complex... Just wasn't until after I really started throwing the rocks at it that I realized where most of the heat had gone to with mine, and went looking around at various schemes.

That said, the finals way at the other end (low voltage) are still standard Schottky because of the fun in getting sync rectification to work efficiently at the switching speeds that it's running at, combined with non trivial current using what I've got at hand... (the sync board is toast because of way over the top abuse lol)

But just wandering back and forth in 2 or 3, even 4 digit Hz range at lower voltages following a sine? Naaaa...

For what that's worth... ;D

With all that laid down on the table, I'll be curious to see what all you come up with... Likewise I can think of a few places to put them to good use. ;)

Steve

solarnewbee:
mine is a 3-phase pmg generator. anything out there for my situation?

SN

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version