Product Information > Product Support

Power Jack LF 5000W Inverter Board Swap

<< < (2/8) > >>

oztules:
The temp rate of change is pretty slow, so even hot glue would probably do ok.... it is fairly non conductive, but the rate of change will probably allow it to work fine... provided it does not remelt.....

or......  perhaps loosen the top nut, and push them under the rubber a bit, and retighten and that way they are physically held too the transformer body.

............oztules

OTG:
Gotcha, thanks OZ.

I'll give it a crack and will update the thread with results.

lighthunter:
Hello! I have an LF6000 in use, it works ok but sometimes has a sharp cackling noise (60hz) coming from transformers. When this problem first occured i had found pressing on the opto chips would make the sound go away. I have since replaced optos and solderd directly to control board. The problem isnt anywhere near as bad as it has been... when it is really bad the dc ammeter flickers wildly when it gets in a spell. the problem isnt completely gone though, it fades with some loads, others its louder. The grid tie connected to it will sense it and drop offline which happens at least a couple times a day.

Nothing has catostopically failed or burned on this unit, all original except for optos. I took control board out today and removed masking tape on bottom (why on earth would they???) I also scrubbed board with alcohol and toothbrush then removed opto sockets and soldered on board. Not even a bit of improvment

This inverter did go through a battery charging episode. It tripped the breaker feeding it that was thethe last time i ever used the charge feature. Could this problem be something on the main board like wounded fets or bad caps? Resistors??? Anyone else have this problem???? I have another cmplete unit identical to this one and i would swap parts but that one has same problem only worse, last i used it, it would start up normal and run moderate loads until it warmed up and then look out. The sound would start becoming audible then amp meter starts flickering and it created enough havoc merely connected to battey bank to make noise through other pj running loads and grid tie and kick it offline. System all works well except for that. Sometimes you wish it would just explode so u know what is ailing it

dochubert:
 Hello lighthunter,
You definitely have a puzzling problem.

If both units do the same stunts, what common sense I have left tells me its not in the units themselves but in something common to both.  That leaves batteries, charging system?, the connected grid tie inverter, and ac loads.

Have you run the powerjack without the grid tie connected and still had the problem?

lighthunter:
Hi dochubert, thanks for your ideas. In fact shortly after i posted, i thought the same thing. Heres an update... "have you run inverters without gti?" Yes, one of them runs perfect no sounds, no issues. I then proved noise in xfmr was coming from GTI. Its a hf transformerless 3.5kw unit. The sound comes and goes depending on loads tied between them. When PJ is putting gti pwr in batteries its loud. The gti must be using pretty hard switching. Its all normal i just misread it. The other inverter defenitely has a problem. It hasnt blown up yet but cant b used either. Cold startup result in loud rattle of xfmr. If try starting enough times it will run and idle current declines to fairly normal 1-2 amps. If you preheat large heatsink connected to positive with hairdryer, it will start and run fairly normal. I ordered new 4110 fets like Oztules had suggested, hope that does the trick.

The grid tie and the good pj run fine every day for the most part but i do have trouble when the GTI output and AC loads are too close to equal...the pj fet current goes to nearly zero and within a short bit the gti will go offline. I suppose if i had more than one gti then that would never happen. As it is the solar output and loads in use always match at some point each day. I will have to put a bit more into the control program to avoid that condition. Be interesting to know if anyone else has that problem with a single gti/pj pair. Come to think of it, is anyone else besides Oztules pairing a pj with grid tie? I think he uses more than one gti so that problem may not exist.

Cheers, Lighthunter

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version