Author Topic: Electric Fence Zapper  (Read 110826 times)

Offline radu

Re: Electric Fence Zapper
« Reply #315 on: January 30, 2020, 10:47:56 am »
Hello everyone, I made this electronic assembly and it look like in the pictures below. With the chinese converter in operation there are problems, so the scheme need to adjust some values ??of the triplet- inverter module. All the results are remarkable and work, even with a trivial oscillator module on 3 khz made with 555.

Offline radu

« Reply #316 on: January 30, 2020, 10:57:08 am »
I will come back with pictures and the version of electronic assembly on 3Khz made with 555.

Offline David HK

• No Personal Text Set by User
« Reply #317 on: January 30, 2020, 05:48:46 pm »
Well done.  A nice tidy layout.

David HK

Offline dalek

« Reply #318 on: August 29, 2021, 07:27:56 pm »
Oztules,

Thanks for the above.  The attached schematic now contains your recommended revision regarding the Triacs connecting to the anodes of the diodes.

I expect your bored stiff with looking at this circuit, but would you mind giving it the once over again for correctness.

I have a question concerning the variable resistor. What current does this carry? And, if it’s fairly large, is an off-board VR required? If Yes, I need to enlarge the holes for wire size.

Next question. You mentioned earlier that the toroid should be in the supply line. Is it worth thinking ahead and adding an alternative layout into the PCB so that with the aid of ‘jumpers’ and alternative positions for the toroid, components can be repositioned? The time and space is available to do this, but could you give me a sketch or sufficient written detail to achieve this.

That’s about it for the moment. I look forward to your comments.

Dave

It's been a while on this topic.  I ran into issues on my end and haven't had time to work on this in the meantime.  I've got KiCad sort of working in my mind now and am trying to work on a few slightly smaller than Oztules versions of this.  I don't need to kill a cow with the thing.  While working on this, I noticed something odd and can't figure out why it is there.  Between what is coil 3 and ground in Davids diagram is a diode D2.  On the other side of coil 3 is another diode, D3 and allowing flow in the same direction, then connecting to C1.  I get why one of them is there, to rectify the AC to DC for the capacitor to charge, but I'm not sure why the other one is there.  I'm thinking of removing D2 and taking coil 3 directly to ground unless there is a good reason for it to be there. D3 should rectify the AC just fine on its own. 

Am I missing a reason for the extra diode? 

BTW, when I get this done, I may put this on something, thought about github, for anyone to use.  I plan to share all the Kicad files and images of circuit, PCB, parts list, details on transformers and gerber files. 

Thanks.

Link to circuit image.  https://www.anotherpower.com/board/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=731.0;attach=2184;image

Offline lighthunter

« Reply #319 on: August 30, 2021, 03:53:21 pm »
I see your point. The obvious one is it doubles the reverse voltage rating of D3. Beyond that i cant see how it makes a difference yet there must be an advantage as i see it used in other HV oscillators. For example, this ignition circuit.
Health Warning: May contain traces of nut!
LH

Offline lighthunter

« Reply #320 on: August 30, 2021, 03:59:31 pm »
I think it plays a role in reducing voltage stress of the more sensitive components to the right of C1.
Health Warning: May contain traces of nut!
LH

Offline David HK

• No Personal Text Set by User
« Reply #321 on: August 30, 2021, 04:19:28 pm »
Hello, I am David, the original poster of contributions to this article some eleven years ago.

I have since forgotten the exact function of the diode you mention, but please be assured that its there for a good reason for it to be there.

Putting the circuit details together relied on more experts than myself, I think Oztules was one.

When I finished building the circuit it did work - violently with the required result. Don't test an electric fence machine output with ones finger tips!

Keep going with your work because I shall be interested to see the result.

David in HK

Offline dalek

« Reply #322 on: August 30, 2021, 04:50:50 pm »
Hi All,

I've read this thread several times.  I started posting a interest about 1/3 of the way in.  I also noticed Oztules hasn't been very active in a while.  I hope he is OK.  I really enjoyed his posts, even tho he calls himself the village idiot. ROFL 

I've built things in the past but not one of these.  I noticed on Oztules' original drawing D2 was there.  That's why I posted.  I figured there had to be a reason for it being there but I had no idea why.  Given that others think it does perform some function, I'm going to leave it in.  I may replace it with a jumper just to see if something blows up but plan to leave it in the circuit.  Oztules put it in the original circuit for a reason.  Maybe he will post his thinking on this later, and let us know he is doing OK. 

Given it has been a while, anyone still using a fence charger based on this that is still working?  If so, post any problems, if any, you had with it.  Any adjustments that may have had to be made. 

My Kicad abilities is minimal.  Right now, it needs some serious refining.  Still, I'm getting there.  I've been looking at seeedstudio.com and pcbway.com for making the boards.  I'm also looking at oshpark.com but can get pricey.  I may try to make my own for the first one, faster and cheaper too.  One thing, I used a ETD49 transformer for the step up transformer.  For a small fence charger, that is to large.  I plan to pick a smaller one before I'm done.  The current one may become a large, just add more triacs, then reduce to a medium and reduce further for a small.  Adjusting the sizes is going to be interesting. 

Thanks for the post.  Glad to hear from you again David.