The Corner Tavern. > Weather

Hurricane Sandy

<< < (2/2)

Wolvenar:
My mothers oil furnace takes along the lines of 1.6KW to start, and about 800w to keep moving..

MadScientist267:
From the Tidewater VA area...

Not a whole lot in terms of severe weather out my way, however I am to understand the oceanfront didn't fare quite so well.

The notable effects in my location were constant rain for approaching 60 hours, some tidal flooding, and a few gusts of wind that got my attention, but didn't fall into the "spooked" category.

These storms are never friendly; I've seen my fair share up close and personal, and this time it spared us, but wreaked havoc on up the line. Hopefully, property damage was the only casualty; personally, I haven't heard otherwise.

One thing for sure, that thing was massive... Typically, the storms we see here last all of 24 hours tops, followed by hot humid weather with a crystal clear sky. Not this time... 60 hours of solid rain, 72 hours plus of no sunlight, along with very cold weather (low of ~40F), patchy skies, and while not here, snow. Unheard of.

A peculiar storm indeed.

Steve

Wolvenar:
* Wolvenar laughs

--- Quote ---very cold weather (low of ~40F)
--- End quote ---
Us northerners laugh at 40F..
In fact that's heavy tshirt, long sleeved shirt or light jacket ( gotta get those stylish things out sometime)
kinda weather.

It is sad seeing the damage done, I as well hope there are no living casualties.

MadScientist267:
Ok, got me there. :)

Should have used the word "unseasonably" or "abnormally" instead of "very". Point was, hurricanes here are never followed by a DROP in temperature, always a rise. A significant one in comparison to the temperature immediately preceding the storm.

This storm was about as atypical as they get. Want any stranger than Sandy, the storm would have to rebuild what it destroys as it makes its way out.  :o

Steve

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version