The Corner Tavern. > Weather

Yet another close lightning hit

(1/2) > >>

Wolvenar:
This year we have had way over the number of lightning hits than our normal.
Many of these are hitting the new HV power line top line meant to help dissipate and ( hopefully) prevent damage.
We never used to get near this many close hits before that power line. However we have this one tree 30 odd feet from the house that never seems to make it a year without getting hit at least once.

It has always survived these so they aren't terribly high powered hits, but just as the tree seems to get its bark healed it gets hit again.
I know in the last 10 years I have been keeping track, it has been hit most every year, and twice this year.

Well every time this happens it plays havoc on our electronics no matter how well I have grounded things, maybe just the EMP?
The last time it shut down my inverter, this afternoon it locked up a network switch took me a few minutes to discover what was going on so the site was likely not responding until I had power cycled that switch..

It is hard to see the scale of this in the image which I took in rain and near complete darkness with exception of the lightning
( Yeah I am nuts)

This new split is a bit over an inch wide and is quite deep. I'm beginning to wonder with all it's fractures if it might be a fall hazard to the house at this point, let alone it attracting lightning. but better the tree than my house/panels.
It is.. or rather was a pretty tree despite what its been through..
I'm not sure if its been hurt bad from this hit yet.

bj:
  That is one tough tree.  Considering the role it seems to be playing Wolv, I hope it lives for a long time.

DBCollen:
I would put in a good grounding rod at the base of the tree and run a strand of bare 6awg solid to the top of the tree to help carry those strikes.

rossw:

--- Quote from: DBCollen on June 20, 2012, 09:57:52 am ---I would put in a good grounding rod at the base of the tree and run a strand of bare 6awg solid to the top of the tree to help carry those strikes.

--- End quote ---

I've seen what strikes can do.
I think 6awg will last somewhat under 10% of the duration of the first strike :)

tomw:

--- Quote from: rossw on June 20, 2012, 04:56:39 pm ---
I've seen what strikes can do.
I think 6awg will last somewhat under 10% of the duration of the first strike :)

--- End quote ---

Maybe it will just create a layer of ionized air around it that will carry the spark?

Lightning seems to follow its own rules.

Or not.

Just sayin..

Tom

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version