Author Topic: I'd like to get in contact with an diy inverter maker  (Read 2250 times)

Offline hary

I'd like to get in contact with an diy inverter maker
« on: April 18, 2019, 06:17:10 am »
Hi.

I've been posting question about inverter and discovered that lead some of you had built their own !

I'd like to get in touch with some of these people maybe like the Ozinverter man.

I've seen some post about the Ozinverter, they were active in 2016 but seem to be quit these days.

Making UP to these post doesn't seem to bring much.

So any help to contact the right person would be appreciated.

Offline ClockmanFrance

Re: I'd like to get in contact with an diy inverter maker
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 03:15:28 pm »
Hi hary,

The OzInverter evolves.   (from Chapter 14 of my 2nd edition, ISBN 978-0-9935903-2-0)

In truth the original concept of the OzInverter was to have a real Inverter that could from 48vdc give me and 'Oztules' and a few others. a real 6kW 50HZ 240vac running capacity, and stand surges up in the 50kW regions, and adequately power a large normal domestic dwelling. ie, we wanted a real Off Grid Inverter that was Simple, Robust, and very importantly Very Cost Effective.

Early 2015 .... I had purchased a very expensive German Inverter, it was rubbish, it would only do half its rated value running continually before it would overheat, and only 10 minutes at its so called full rated value of 6kW. It certainly could not handle backcharging, AC coupling and DC coupling all at once. All the tech department of the German company could say was that I needed lots of their expensive supplementary equipment to get my RE generation to work properly.

The German machine went back to Germany and I got my money back. But I had to use the EU Trading Standards, stating that the makers did not inform the purchaser, that their own propriety  ancillary equipment was necessary.

So late 2015 with 'Oztules' help we moved forward with getting an Inverter that handled Backcharging through it,..... AC Coupling (Using GTI's to feed back into the OzInverter created mini grid),...... DC Coupling, (the batteries that run the OzInverter can also be charged by a DC charging source) , and very importantly our New Inverter has a Low running/working power loss, ie, in the 35watts region.

I have had 4kW EI type Inverters that have a loss of nearly 200 watts!!!! that's a waste of your batteries at night time.

At first the Power Jack boards were used, and with a decent size and especially wound toroid, it would work very well. But the Chinese boards were bad on QC, and getting them became an issue.    With the P J boards on the OzInverter when AC coupled, the AC voltage would rise when the batteries were reaching full capacity and pushing back, and this knocks off the GTI's because of the GTI internal settings.

The 8010 PWM SMD Chip.......
I had noticed the EGS002 board but the response's from folk were not good. Yes it worked well on normal EI transformers, but only up to about 3kW with toroid transformers.
 Some preliminary stuff here...... http://www.anotherpower.com/board/index.php?PHPSESSID=h7jd5l4edljl6k4ls18pgfj4i1&topic=1116.0

And for others benefits 'Oztules' also posted on  .... https://www.fieldlines.com/

'Oztules' further investigated, and Like me we really wanted to get away from relying on a particular manufacturers products.      The 8010 chip was removed from the EGS002 board and the OzInverter evolved with mostly 'Oztules' endeavours.
“Looking good.. now with just off the shelf components, we can finally make a real inverter.. that is easy to fix as well. utopia indeed for remote living I don't think any other unit on the market can say that.... usually you have to replace propriety boards... if you can get them.  . ‘oztules.’

Now the OzInverter original design has evolved with folk like 'Madness', 'Tinker' and others going their own particular way with their inverters using the 8010 chip.

'Oztules' and then Madness have added a GTI control circuit as the 8010 chip holds a rock steady constant AC output whatever the AC load is doing. Because of this rock steady AC, a normal GTI without control will backcharge to the batteries and over charge them, and that's not good.!

‘Madness’ now has some of his MadInverter boards that have a lot of ancillary control and data output visual stuff using MEGA's and his specialized written software.

I still use a simple Voltage comparators to shut down the GTI's as the battery voltage rises.

I have documented the OzInverters progress and published this book, on 'How to make a 6kW OzInverter'  (a complete re-written 2nd edition due for publishing the end of April). and hopefully it fully explains and documents the up-todate progress.  And with permission from 'wiseguys', 'podia’s' and 'gaspo' also add in their latest findings and works.

VERY IMPORTANTLY, we are dealing with an output of at least 6kW with this OzInverter, so its important that certain protocols must be adhered too.

REMEMBER, Its Power Electrics, its Power Electronics, its Mechanical Engineering, so any poor quality build skills, straying or shortcuts from the build road will lead to the OzInverter failing to work correctly.
OzInverter Mantra ...... KEEP IT SIMPLE, MAKE IT ROBUST, KEEP IT COST EFFECTIVE.”

A Brief synopsis of other Inverter types.
6 types of Inverter have been discussed since 2015, and there build process shown here in the 2nd edition and on the Back Shed Forum, Au.

1. ...... 'Oztules' work, 'OzInverter' formed from the Australian Powerstar and the Chinese PowerJack Inverters. Uses a Toroid and H Bridge, and now uses the PWM 8010 SMD Chip..
2. ...... 'Tinker', Klaus, has developed his own particular H Bridge Inverter.  Uses a toroid.
3. ....... 'Madness'  Gary Hoffmann, has designed his own design of H Bridge Inverter, uses a toroid, and has moved towards using Mega/Arduino micros to control,  and he loves writing code. He has also extended and designed new boards for GTI control on the PV. Although 'Oztules' concept, Madness has done a clever circuit that controls the PV before it goes into the GTI and keeps the battery charging under very strict control. ...
4. ....... 'Warpspeed'  Tony LeGrip, Has done a ‘WarpStepInverter’ that runs without the need of one large transformer he uses 4 small ones. Its very simple and  rather clever.   See later in this Chapter.
5.  ......."podia’s", Peter Birtles, interesting nanoverter, using his own PWM code, so the 8010 chip is not used.........
6.  Interestingly 'Midnite' in the US, are at this very moment about to launch Beta units on a range of Inverters and GTI's that use a non toroid design and High Frequency switching. They will stack there individual 2kW Inverter circuits to obtain a good power output. Note, Their original design showed the use of lithium Ion NMC INR 18650 cells stacked in each 2kW unit, however, 2019, Midnite are saying that they will use a separate battery pack.  The other day a few friends and i worked out that with all their engineers on the task since 2015, we reckon they have invested about $14,000,000

please see ..... https://levivray.com/new-book--make-a-6kw-inverter.php

And yes I do release PDF sections/chapters of the book on these forums.

We are not a registered charity, but we do try to help. We just want our publishing, postage and costs back.