Author Topic: What inverter to chose ?  (Read 2758 times)

Offline hary

What inverter to chose ?
« on: April 14, 2019, 11:23:42 am »
Hi all.

I'm just new here and have been directed here by some topics on inverters. Mostly because of oztules's topics building its own 6kW inverter.

It's been weeks I've been struggling choosing an inverter that would fit my need in a reliable manner at an affordable price.

I am on DC24V, 8 wintson 160Ah LiFeYPO4 cells. I already have the charger with proper BMS.
I have small needs, mostly of them run directly on DC24V like light, laptop or water pump.

The only things I need an inverter for are the 230V/120W fridge and some power tools like 2000W circular saw, 1500W air compressor, high pressure cleaner.
It would be great if I could run a stick welder on it.

I search lead me to the high frequency 4kW MPP-SOLAR PIP 4024MSP inverter and the  5 or 6 kW MUST-POWER PV3000MPK low frequency inverter.

I haven't seen any post about these brand on this forum. Does anyone know if they're good or not.

As I have mostly inductive loads, I was orientated to the LF inverter, but was afraid of the noise and the tremendous 192W "NO LOAD CONSUMPTION"

As my 2 main uses are very different (120W fridge 24h/day and 2000W circular saw 1h/day), I've been thinking having 2 inverter, 1 small and 1 big, but this makes the circuitry very complicated !

Any advices ?

Offline noneyabussiness

• I think it works....
Re: What inverter to chose ?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 07:17:26 pm »
https://www.anotherpower.com/board/index.php?topic=1339.msg14707#new

I highly recommend 1 of these if you going the pre-built road.. handle anything ive thrown at it and 50w no load losses...

If you can get your hands on a toroidal core cheap , build your own with similar / better capabilities. .

Offline Pete

• Mount Barrow Tasmania
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 08:49:37 pm »
Hello Hary, I have a 12 volt system with a 5 kw PowerJack inverter. It will not start my compressor or run a welder but does everything else I want.
With 24 volt you may have more luck.
As far as the fridge goes, I suggest using an inverter of around 500 watts min, and having a dedicated circuit for the fridge.
Just connect the inverter and then have one power line directly from it to the fridge.
Or you could try  what I did at my last house which was this.

I used to have a 500 watt inverter for most of our house usage and a changeover switch to our 3kw inverter when I wanted to run power tools etc. It is a bit manual but works fine.
You could do it that ,way, just use the small inverter for everything .
Then change to the large inverter when you want to run tools etc.
You have to make sure that they cannot both be feeding power at the same time.
I just had a changeover switch on the outputs of the inverters, so that I was supplying power from on or the other, then turned the small one off and the big one on when I wanted to use tools.
Pete

Offline hary

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 04:33:58 pm »
Hello Hary, I have a 12 volt system with a 5 kw PowerJack inverter. It will not start my compressor or run a welder but does everything else I want.
With 24 volt you may have more luck.
As far as the fridge goes, I suggest using an inverter of around 500 watts min, and having a dedicated circuit for the fridge.
Just connect the inverter and then have one power line directly from it to the fridge.
Or you could try  what I did at my last house which was this.

I used to have a 500 watt inverter for most of our house usage and a changeover switch to our 3kw inverter when I wanted to run power tools etc. It is a bit manual but works fine.
You could do it that ,way, just use the small inverter for everything .
Then change to the large inverter when you want to run tools etc.
You have to make sure that they cannot both be feeding power at the same time.
I just had a changeover switch on the outputs of the inverters, so that I was supplying power from on or the other, then turned the small one off and the big one on when I wanted to use tools.
Pete

This seems to be the way to go.

https://www.anotherpower.com/board/index.php?topic=1339.msg14707#new

I highly recommend 1 of these if you going the pre-built road.. handle anything ive thrown at it and 50w no load losses...

If you can get your hands on a toroidal core cheap , build your own with similar / better capabilities. .

It would be a good idea, and to start I'd like to built a small one not to put to much money in it in case I fail. I could use some old UPS transformer. I actually have a 700W running on 36V with an EI transformer and have also a toroid 220V/12V/100W.
I've been looking for some recent information, but post about Ozinverter seemed to be active 2-3 years ago, but I can"t find something recently published.