Renewable Energy Questions/Discussion > Solar (heating or electric)

New Electric Booster Boiler

<< < (2/6) > >>

bj:
  Totally agree on Tig.  Mig has it's uses, but have never bothered to own a machine.
  Great project,  turning out nice.

eraser3000:
On a side note the TIG welder power consumption was around 3500 watts during welding.

rossw:

--- Quote from: DJ on October 25, 2016, 03:51:40 am ---With 20Kw available, the water even with 1" flow is sure going to get a decent heat rise in a single pass. 

--- End quote ---

By my calculations - a very modest 15 litres/minute flow will only heat water by 19 degrees C at that power.
Even if it was running at full power with only 5 litres/minute flow the temperature rise is just over 57 deg C.

Yes, it's decent - but it's fairly easily managed.

eraser3000:
DJ:
I am going to modulate them.
So if turbine output is 580watts only 1 element will be PWM and using a AC RMS current sensor for the feedback I'll let the PID controller do its thing. If wind output is 13500watts then 13 elements will be fully on and element 14 will be 50% on.

I am hoping for a good rise in one pass and plan to flow 10 gallons per minute through it.

I currently have about 1200 gallons of storage tank in the room and have another room with much larger tanks to be plumbed in at a later time.

eraser3000:

--- Quote from: DJ on October 25, 2016, 03:51:40 am ---
I have been playing with a modified gas water heater. Took the gas ring out and fire it with a modified waste oil burner.  I can sink about 20Kw into that without too much inefficiency in flames blowing right out the top.  I'd like to get a 400L tank. That way I could fire the thing every 2-3 days and be able to drop more heat in as well.

I'm trying to work out more about the controllers you linked to. I still don't fully understand their capabilities as I know nothing about them but I'll keep researching. they would seem to be ideal for controlling something like a burner and having some safety devices built in as well.

--- End quote ---

Sounds like a great project would love to see some pictures .
If you need a hand with the controller end of it let me know.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version