Author Topic: 8010 based 5kw chinese sinewave mosfet inverter board  (Read 6867 times)

Offline sunnypower46

Re: 8010 based 5kw chinese sinewave mosfet inverter board
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2021, 11:38:18 am »
Oooh.  I misread your final primary turns assessment -- confused the 12v to 14v 8010 requirement with "turns".  So, reducing primary from 22 to 18 turns made the 8010 happy, and increasing secondary turns fixed the output voltage and waveform.

Gee, you've got me wondering about the existing primary wiring on my toroid.  Noting the enamel coating, I just assumed it was copper.  I need to "dig" deeper, I guess.

i think my old Weller gun is the dual heat 120/240w model.  Been a long time since I've needed it.  Hope I remember how to use it . . .

Could you find/post a current link or picture of the unit you have.  Nothing ever stays current on the web selling sites.

Thanks for sharing the project info!

Offline Pete

• Mount Barrow Tasmania
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2021, 03:15:04 pm »
I don't have pictures of what I had, One was in a stainless steel box the other was a clamshell aluminium enclosure.
Threw the boards away as they were no use to me and too complicated for what I wanted.
As you say nothing is current in their inverters, they are always changing.
One inverter had bolt on mosfet boards, they had 4 mosfets per board on my inverter. The DC side are the same except the AC boards had small ferrite beads on the central leg of each mosfet. Apparently that prevents them blowing up.
The other inverter had soldered in Mosfets on the main power board. Much harder to do a quick repair job.
The process I went through to repair them was suggested to me by Lighthunter via an old Oztules post.
FIrst to replace the mosfets, drivers and check resistors, then unsolder the capacitors and remove them.
Then I put a 5 watt resistor in series with the supply so that nothing would blow up while I was checking for gate drive.
After that replace the capacitors and put the whole shebang back together.
In the end I found that it had a bad connection on one of the battery posts internally, and that was causing it to blow up.
The less connectors on the high current side the better.
My new inverters are wired directly to the batteries with a 160 amp circuit breaker as protection.
Much larger cables than powerjack use.
With your inverters it may be worth just running them until they expire.
You could always get an 8010 board and have it sitting in the shed in case of major disasters with the PJ.
It doesn't take long to fit the transformer ( remembering the inductors, if possible add a turn to the inductor.
The 8010 boards come with a capacitor, make sure that you get the diagrams off the site that you buy them from.
Hope your system lasts a long time
Pete

Offline noneyabussiness

• I think it works....
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2021, 04:36:58 pm »
just another suggestion,  if you have the room, leave the original caps in place and just add a heap more... on mine i have about 200000 uf external to the main board... saves a lot of headache removing the old ones, also in any repairs as you just replace boards...

most caps, even the underrated ones, will still be fine... its the ripple or heat that usually get them, so adding more obviously reduces ripple and the heat thing should be dealt with anyways... Ill partially quote OZ, " a fan on low, blowing across em 24/7 should keep them happy for years to come "

Offline sunnypower46

« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2021, 07:46:01 pm »
All good points.  I like the gameplan you followed.

I really want an old PJ toroid to play with, I'm not ready to take a working unit out of service yet.  Long live my PJs!

I'll start searching for additional suitable caps and troll the Chinese sites for 8010 based products, noting your comments.