Author Topic: Changing from SLA to LifePo4 batteries  (Read 6730 times)

Offline dochubert

• 11 powerjacks, 9 that run, 3 actually used daily
Re: Changing from SLA to LifePo4 batteries
« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2021, 09:16:27 pm »

Balance continues to improve slightly daily.
The 3 cells that are a bit low are gradually coming up. (getting closer to the rest)
So will leave the settings where they are and watch for a few more days.

I do like these batteries!
We're all going to DIE!  (eventually)

USA = Communist former republic
---  dochubert --

Offline Pete

• Mount Barrow Tasmania
« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2021, 05:11:52 pm »
Good to hear that it is working out for you Doc.
I hope that all the work setting them up is worth it and they last a long time.
So far I am loving my new setup too, the sealed lead batteries I have are enjoying having the capacitor bank to make starting things easier. The 500 farad capacitor bank are doing a great job and my compressor just fires up straight away with no hesitation.
Pete

Offline dochubert

« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2021, 09:40:01 pm »
Thanks Pete,
Glad your capacitor bank is working out for you.  Sounds interesting.  Did you describe it in another post? (I haven't been paying attention lately, sorry)

The shunt balancer seems to be a success!  I will be leaving the settings on the charge controllers where they are (56.8v bulk, 56v float) unless I see some reason to change them.  Balance is very good.  Probably as good as I can expect from used batteries.
Now I just have to put the same type balancers on my 24v bank.

---  dochubert --

Offline dochubert

« Reply #63 on: September 14, 2021, 04:54:45 pm »
Got some work done on the 24v bank balancer setup.  Bought 4 of these heatsinks and cut them in half.

9108-0 [ Specified attachment is not available ]

Cut some wood pieces and attached as shown.

9110-2 [ Specified attachment is not available ]

The balancers/heatsinks will be electrically isolated from one another, which means the balancers can be mounted to heatsinks without insulator pads (better heat transfer).  These heatsinks are not very big, but my experience with the huge heatsink on the first set (48v setup) tells me it was overkill.  Hopefully these small individual sinks won't be 'underkill' and will do the job.
On the backside, two 12v standard 4" fans temperature controlled.

9112-4 [ Specified attachment is not available ]

Still awaiting delivery of the balancers, and haven't completed paralleling all the module cells, but some progress anyway.

---  dochubert --

Offline Pete

• Mount Barrow Tasmania
« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2021, 03:41:37 am »
Hi Doc looks like you have a plan going there.
I don't know enough about lithium batteries but it sure seems that they want a lot of stuff to control them.
I read somewhere that a University in Queensland (oz) is working on another lithium battery chemistry. They had one sort working but it was not so good on the number of charges cycles it could do, then they worked out that adding sugar to the cells coated the cathodes and allowed their charge cycles to be 100 times more.
I guess that in the not too distant future we will see massive improvements in battery technology.
I would love to have an electric vehicle but at the moment the costs are too high. One day maybe they will be cheap enough and we will be able to charge them on our solar system. ( we don't drive much, it is too lovely where we live to want to go out too often).
If the fans don't work you could always put the fins of the heatsinks in a tank of water to cool them.
cheers
Pete

Offline Pete

• Mount Barrow Tasmania
« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2021, 03:46:29 am »
Here is a link to a short article on the Lithium Sulphide batteries
Pete
[https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2021-09-14/batteries-lithium-sulfur-sugar-future-electric-vehicles/100457492]

Offline dochubert

« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2021, 10:29:38 am »

Hi Pete,
Thanks for the link.  Looks promising!  I think you are right that there will be large improvements in batteries in the next few years.  Probably making the current versions as desirable as Ni-Cad batteries when lithium first hit the market.

A lot more needed to control lithium batteries versus lead-acid, true.  I think I finally have a setup that keeps my very large bank balanced.  The 48v bank is doing great and staying very well balanced with no intervention from me.  Hopefully my scaled-down version for the 24v bank will work as well. And it keeps the footprint of the whole thing smaller.  I can always go to larger heatsinks or higher speed fans if necessary, but I think these will work ok.   We'll soon know.

---  dochubert --