Author Topic: My Scratch Pad  (Read 99246 times)

Offline MadScientist267

• Impossible Condition Curator
  • Rules? What rules?
Re: My Scratch Pad
« Reply #345 on: July 09, 2016, 11:43:07 am »
5957-0

5959-1

Not exactly ideal, but the 4" pipe is all I had to work with... there is indeed a boost at both venturis tho :)
Wanted: Schrödinger's cat, dead and alive.

Offline MadScientist267

• Rules? What rules?
« Reply #346 on: July 09, 2016, 07:52:26 pm »
5961-0

5963-1

No more bustedazz reverse lights for me. I'm over it. Last backing operation, they *both* were out, and no other source of light around. Brake light dragging is only good for so many... inches. :o

Clipped the insane cheap sockets, grabbed some LED 1156's and a roll of 60/40 and told them once and for all I'm done playin' LOL

It was still on the brighter side of dusk when that "on" pose took place. Should work juuuust fine. :)

Offline MadScientist267

• Rules? What rules?
« Reply #347 on: July 10, 2016, 02:05:13 am »
5965-0

5967-1

Another form of Bernoulli fan, this one with a twist...

Arrays like this can multiply, and with some tinkering with angles, gaps, offsets and the like, even focus and direct a *very* disproportionate volume of air compared to the sum of the fans alone.

Should start a thread dedicated to these concepts. They're a lot of fun to play with if you've got a bunch of various case fans stashed in a box somewhere, particularly if some rotate opposite to others...

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #348 on: July 10, 2016, 02:12:56 am »
Both great ideas.
Funny thing is I don't remember that panel in the back being able to open.
Is that new as well?
Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)

Offline MadScientist267

• Rules? What rules?
« Reply #349 on: July 10, 2016, 02:15:59 am »
Nope. Just didn't have it open most likely. It opens about 30 degrees above horizontal if needed.

Offline bj

• Lamont, Alberta, Canada
« Reply #350 on: July 10, 2016, 05:48:39 am »
  Couple of years ago, the bathroom fan in our trailer started to squeel and rattle.  Loud enough to
probably annoy camping neighbors.
  When we got home, I replaced it with 4  160mm 1200 rpm case fans. 
  Moves much more air,  (very good thing) and nobody can hear it. (also good thing)
"Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while"
bj

Offline MadScientist267

• Rules? What rules?
« Reply #351 on: July 13, 2016, 04:46:38 am »
Yep. They're surprisingly effective if they're set up right. Good chunk of mine are half that, with some 100 and 120 in the mix. I just did another modification, pretty much the only thing left as pictured above is the three 80mm, the venturis have been split up and reworked as my 120V squirrel cage replacement, and while not quite as potent, draw a tiny fraction, and so far the best alternate I've been able to put my hands on readily. They're actually laid out as 3, with the fan shown down below the 3 in the "triplet" pic being used in the first one. I will definitely have to start a new thread with the pics of the new layout, as well as the "big" fan's new implementation. Collectively they're a *massive* improvement on anything attempted so far, and for slightly less power than before, I can track the outside temps within ~1C during a normal night cooling cycle. I'm not sure why I didn't figure this out sooner, but hey LOL

Steve

Offline bj

« Reply #352 on: July 14, 2016, 06:34:50 am »
  Ducting can make a huge difference in performance.  Learned that try to do impossible computer
cooling.
  My setup focused on fit more than efficiency, but one thing I noticed was that on the
first try I mounted very close to the bug screen and got a strange blade pass noise.  Moving
them to get a 1/4 inch gap made them almost silent.
  All great fun, and it works.
  Guess that makes me a happy camper. ;D
bj

Offline MadScientist267

• Rules? What rules?
« Reply #353 on: July 16, 2016, 10:45:34 am »
5981-0

5983-1

5985-2

One of the things i miss about west point...

Offline bj

« Reply #354 on: July 17, 2016, 05:12:16 am »
   Nice shots.  I can see why you miss it.  Wildlife here has  given me countless hours of viewing
pleasure.   Maybe part of the reason it takes me a long time to get things done?  ::)
bj

Offline MadScientist267

• Rules? What rules?
« Reply #355 on: July 17, 2016, 05:24:05 am »
Yeah it's a peaceful place if one can block out the paper mill.

Where the deer are is basically the end of the road I once lived on, with part of one of the rivers back behind it. It's what amounts to a perfect deer path and they come thru there regularly, to the point I normally don't think anything of it.

What made this one special is that the usual traffic involves just mom and brats... I lived there for 4 years and saw many a deer run thru that cut... I believe this is the first time I've ever seen a mature buck. They also seem to never be overly skittish of people; I only caught a single "50 ft stare" despite conservative efforts to get him to pose for the camera, then back to grazing it was. Still pretty cool.

Offline MadScientist267

• Rules? What rules?
« Reply #356 on: July 17, 2016, 06:59:08 am »
5987-0

Ok maybe there is something to this f*ee e*erg* thing after all... I swear I didn't hit start!  :-\

[EDIT] - "In a previous life..."
5989-1
[/EDIT]

[EDIT II] - The answer is always 42... Empirically proven right there... 3 candles. Also undeniable is the idea that my daughter and ex conspired to go after the best home brew bing filling on the planet... Pretty sure they nailed it ;)
[/EDIT II]

Offline MadScientist267

• Rules? What rules?
« Reply #357 on: July 19, 2016, 07:23:51 pm »
5995-0

Offline bj

« Reply #358 on: July 19, 2016, 08:25:17 pm »
  That's a lot of water.  We have our fair share here,  but further south (Calgary) yikes.
  I take it from previous post Happy Birthday is in order?
  Cake looked wonderful/yummy
bj

Offline MadScientist267

• Rules? What rules?
« Reply #359 on: July 22, 2016, 11:25:16 pm »
Hehe indeed. It was. I was bummed to find out what happened but for once my instinct gave me useful insight and the microwave was my answer to the whole "just in case" thing.

Lots of water? Yes, pretty unusual to see all of the conditions come together around here like that without a much larger cause that brought it in from the Atlantic. Sustained torrential rain, lightning that was relentless... and I found out during a brief moment at the front edge of the storm exactly what marbles would sound like hitting uhaul roof mounted PV in case I ever got curious.

Sudden onset isn't a shocker here, with a good amount of rain. But sustained to the point lake ptown (affectionate name for the water bowl in the pic) fills up like that, and tons of close lightning (for some reason here specifically), those alone put it on the rarity list. Hail just moved it further from the center of the bell curve yet.

I was told today that the radar had two bright blobs that pulled the whole perfect storm thing right on top of ptown (no I didn't look myself for some reason, was too into the lightning map haha) - the result - we got a stellar hammering.

Just as unusual was lake ptown draining as quickly as it formed. It's been known to hold water for a couple days after a hurricane. A half hour after the rain stopped, there was little more than sand at the corners of the curbs as evidence anything ever even really happened. Pretty strange. Strange indeed. :o