Author Topic: testing the egs002 inverter board  (Read 147592 times)

Offline oztules

• Village idiot
Re: testing the egs002 inverter board
« Reply #375 on: August 30, 2016, 03:45:30 am »
It looks ok to me.

Yes, I didn't bother to go 50hz on both hi sides to control switching losses, as testing on the first and subsequent units show that they seem to heat virtually as much for the high frequency sinks, regardless of high or low side.... so I never bothered to alter it. If you build it as I did, then you can see for yourself... not much in it.

I do intend to try all sides at high frequency, should give a quieter transformer.

I designed a opto version but did not pursue it as the heating is really not an issue. It is easy to keep cool with low speed fans.

Welcome to the club.... you may find it becomes a sickness... I see a lot of folks are building more than just 1, and some very fine professional looking units are out there now... leaving me for dead really....

You will do some things different, we all do, thats why the pics are important, so folks can get ideas much better than mine... it is evolving a life of it's own out there... eg look at this.... his second one... http://www.thebackshed.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8542&PN=1&TPN=11

.............oztules

Flinders Island...... Australia

Offline dom44

« Reply #376 on: August 30, 2016, 06:33:25 am »
thanks oztules I have been playing with inverts the last few years this EGS002 i have had a few for at least 2 years sitting in my pile always new it was a good little unit. I first came across it on a Chinese electronic forums from there i have gained a lot of knowledge, they are far more advanced when it comes to this stuff and working with power electronics, they use sheet copper to wind the primary on high frequency transformers, never seen that before on English speaking sites.
But i have to say using grid tie transformers on your part was genius I always loved the idea of recycling and you all of a sudden   made it within reach of most people.

only reason i want to change the drivers  is I found the IR2110's easy to destroy and i like the idea of keeping the amps away from the sensitive drive electronics.
Any chance of you giving a bit more information on how you test your FEt's  I have a batch of 100x IRFB4110 coming from china and could be useful information for some of us.

thanks Dom44

Offline oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #377 on: August 30, 2016, 05:02:15 pm »
Jaymes,
here is pcb file for a compact power board I did. Your design explorer will open it. It is protel.

This is what it looks like
6107-0

.....oztules

Offline dom44

« Reply #378 on: August 30, 2016, 09:52:00 pm »
smaller adapter board for chip

Offline jaymes

« Reply #379 on: September 19, 2016, 03:26:13 am »
Thank you so much i am happy,

Offline oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #380 on: September 19, 2016, 04:36:26 pm »
There are three problems with that design.
1 two snubber resistors are under one of the heat sinks,  you can either put them on the under side or move them out a bit.

2. the resistor 5r6 next to the 10 pin outlet need to be moved or placed under the board as well..or interferes with the 10 pin socket..

3. the holes for the neg wires need a solder mask relief to allow soldering on the bottom side of the board... or you have to scrape off the solder mask to solder the wires onto.

They are not show stoppers, but would be nice to fix up.

............oztules

Offline dom44

« Reply #381 on: October 01, 2016, 06:52:04 pm »
I have just come across this board on aliexpress and have ordered one for only $24 AU not bad value and here is the circuit i got from seller

Offline Antman

« Reply #383 on: October 07, 2016, 04:22:33 am »
Hey Guys

It's been a while since I've played around with the inverter. I basically finished the project then went overseas for a while and forgot about it all.

The new design makes for a very neat and compact unit. Its all controlled from an Arduino which has programmable current limits and dual thermocouples for monitoring heatsink and transformer.

I need to get some proper bus bars made up out of copper or aluminium to do real testing since the ones I am using now are too small and heat up when the current goes over 50 amps. 

Here's a quick vid of me testing the efficiency. It easily beats all of my switch mode inverters which I was quite surprised to find out. Who would have thought that old school transformers would beat switch mode in efficiency and durability  ;)

Offline oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #384 on: October 07, 2016, 12:02:27 pm »
Nice compact unit Antman.

Did you try a few turns around the little torroid,?
I would expect a tranny that small would use a bit less idle current from my experiments

very nice.

Will we see the sketch for the arduino?

............oztules

Offline peter

« Reply #385 on: October 08, 2016, 07:12:06 pm »
That inverter looks nice Antman.
Any chance I could get the pcb design files and make a board myself? Or maybe you want to sell bare boards?
(I prefer to buy one, actually..)
I like having a microcontroller to do the system control, this helps a lot when integrating this
into my solar stuff.

Offline jaymes

« Reply #386 on: October 09, 2016, 02:19:24 pm »
Can i parallel these inverters to get more wattage

Offline Antman

« Reply #387 on: October 11, 2016, 02:24:56 am »
Oztules I have to set it all up again and test with some different toroids when I get time. Pretty sure I had it at around 8 watts at one stage.

Did you want to see the code for the arduino? It's pretty basic but I can post it if you want.

Peter thanks for the compliment. I have a few boards spare that I probably wont use. They're not soldered but. Do you have experience soldering SMT? Send me a PM

Jaymes I don't think paralleling the boards is possible. It would be possible to integrate have multiple mosfet drivers and extra mosfets but. With just the standard mosfets I'm sure you can push quite a bit of power through. How much power do you need?

Offline oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #388 on: October 11, 2016, 05:45:10 am »
Yes thanks Antman, it will help me with doing one for mine... or I might just use yours if does pretty much what I want if I may... not much point reinventing the wheel.... plus I am no hero at programming.... I shy away from it until I actually have to do it, then usually enjoy it, but i find it hard to get started.

My salt water RO was a case on point.. took months to get to do it. keep putting it off, then finally did it in a few days. I find it hard to start for some silly reason..

..........oztules

Offline Antman

« Reply #389 on: October 14, 2016, 05:51:34 am »
Hey OZ

Sorry for the late reply mate. I had to go through the sketch and comment so it is easier to understand. Please see attached.

I've been chatting to Peter since he also wants a board. I'm going to start a new build and add all the bits and pieces that everybody wants. Then I'll get a few assembled with the exception of the Mosfets and caps so people don't have to solder the SMT stuff. Then you can add whatever voltage mosfets and caps you need for your application.

In the coming days I'll compile a list of all the functions that are needed.