Author Topic: testing the egs002 inverter board  (Read 152346 times)

Offline ClockmanFrance

Re: testing the egs002 inverter board
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2016, 06:46:19 am »
Hi oztules,

Question please....

On the New OzControl Board with the 8010 chip, what is that small transformer, and any details where I might purchase replacements.

I see it takes one of the OzToroid secondary's through its little primary, so that has to be reasonable thickness or its a weak link?
The other little winding goes to the chip?  does it need conditioning?.

I am asking these silly questions as when my Ozinverter is in back feed mode from the AC Coupling GTI's, and charging the batteries, can the 8010 cope with voltage increase okay ? ie, when the batteries are full and the 230vac voltage rises slightly?

Photo......The transformer, and another of those mystery, well mystery to me, muddy brown/red capacitor thingy's.

Thanks

Offline oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2016, 07:29:43 am »
Muddy red thing is 4uf capacitor for shaping the sine wave.
The transformer is just a current transformer from an old PJ board.

You can replicate this board if you wish for testing purposes, but there will be changes for the newer board when I get it done.

Just about any current transformer will do but the primary of 1 or 2 turns needs to be able to handle 30 amps or so...... or a better way will be to use a torroid current transformer, and they should be available on ebay for very modest amounts... like this kind of thing:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DL-CT08CL5-20A-10mA-2000-1-0-120A-Micro-Current-Transformer-HYM-/281440234858?hash=item4187252d6a:g:60oAAOSwEK9UEXV-

This will be a way to go, but will have to check the output voltage for the input current... I'm not there yet to make a recommendation, or we can wind our own.

At this stage, the new one is looking like this... but it is waiting for parts to come for the adaptor board, and thats just a guess to the size of the 32pin converter board for the 8010.
5268-0

..........oztules
Flinders Island...... Australia

Offline ClockmanFrance

« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2016, 04:19:16 pm »
Thanks about the 4uf cap. Any idea what type it is?.

I recall that capacitors come in all different materials, paper & foil types, Can's, polyester, Mylar, tantalum, ceramic, etc etc.

I have a good capacitance meter, but its the material and type that baffles me.

Thanks about that transformer, and yes 30amp sounds sensible. Yes, winding are own little job might satisfy that 30amp through it.
I understand ....thanks for the Link.

That New 'OzControl' board is looking good.

Offline oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2016, 08:03:39 pm »
Probably metalized film capacitor... or any non polarized HV capacitor would do it I guess.
Metal film are really only conductors spaced by  insulaton, so are non polarized... unlike say electrolytic types or other chemical systems.

................oztules

Offline Phred

« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2016, 05:08:37 am »
Muddy red thing is 4uf capacitor for shaping the sine wave.
The transformer is just a current transformer from an old PJ board.

You can replicate this board if you wish for testing purposes, but there will be changes for the newer board when I get it done.

Just about any current transformer will do but the primary of 1 or 2 turns needs to be able to handle 30 amps or so...... or a better way will be to use a torroid current transformer, and they should be available on ebay for very modest amounts... like this kind of thing:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DL-CT08CL5-20A-10mA-2000-1-0-120A-Micro-Current-Transformer-HYM-/281440234858?hash=item4187252d6a:g:60oAAOSwEK9UEXV-

This will be a way to go, but will have to check the output voltage for the input current... I'm not there yet to make a recommendation, or we can wind our own.

At this stage, the new one is looking like this... but it is waiting for parts to come for the adaptor board, and thats just a guess to the size of the 32pin converter board for the 8010.
(Attachment Link)

..........oztules
I would be niece to have dimensions on the artwork, bill of materials and last of a road map 

Offline oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2016, 05:51:40 am »
Phred,
Do not action this artwork, it is untested, and contains errors I assure you.

I have etched the thing and noticed a few alterations I want to do, and one glaring mistake in the 2110 power lines..... and we/I still have no idea as to the dimensions of the 32 pin board width. There are also some different converter boards to fit the 8010 chip coming that are not dip32 style, and they may give a better, less inductive pathway... so hold on for a bit to avoid disappointment..... I will be disappointed enough for both of us if it does not work properly.

The original one I posted does work  ( and I don't think I have made any real alterations to it... will look tomorrow), and is the current test bed, and if the new one works that well I will be ecstatic.... and it should... maybe.

It will not have the cross conduction protection transistors in stage one, as I don't think they need to be there...... and I have been wrong before too... may incorporate them if necessary.

There will not be a mud map, as I don't have one, I design on the PCB program with a few scribbles next to the computer that describe bits of it ( mainly pin out stuff), but I am not an EE so don't operate like one... I'm just a run of the mill scumbag experimenter.... having way too much fun too i might say.

When the new one works as planned, a very full explanation and drawings will be made available, as it will be ( I think) the first very simple, high powered pure sine wave inverter, that can handle all loads as easily and effectively as $8000 units can... and be freely available on the net, and so simple, that anyone with only average skill will be able to emulate simply and easily... well thats the plan anyway.

It is single sided deliberately so it is simple to make, and you will notice that most of the resistors are actually 0 ohms pieces of wire... there is not much on there.

You are more than welcome to reverse engineer it and provide the world with a mud map if you so choose.

Clockman, I have run the tests using the torroid current transformers of the type I alluded to, they work perfectly well instead of the CT shown in the pics.

.............oztules

Offline ClockmanFrance

« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2016, 09:34:59 am »
Thanks oztules regards those Caps.

Yes a couple of those little toroid's on there way here.

Good thinking!

Just the simple secondary to the chip, gets rid of that weak Link.

Offline Phred

« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2016, 04:24:56 pm »
Phred,

You are more than welcome to reverse engineer it and provide the world with a mud map if you so choose.

.............oztules
not interested in reinventing the wheel! Are u abandoning 002 board for a HB? Can u please post scale details of the earlier version of pcb using an 002? I will be shortly expect my one to arrive. A circuit and a BM would be good.

Offline oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2016, 04:53:54 pm »
The scaling is not of interest... the pin spacing is paramount... so resize in what ever program you use, until the 17 pin 002 board fits the pin holes perfectly ( 1.6" for 17 pins).. thats all that counts on that board. Take the BM from the posted parts overlay and pics, and the circuit is not in existence unless you make it so.

It is not abandoned at the present, as it works perfectly, but my heart is set on a home brew from scratch..... until then I'm beholdent to another manufacturer.
I would like to be only beholdent to chip manufacturers, as they do them by the million and billion, and so will be available well into the future.... sadly it will be weeks until that is realised due to Australian parts not being available... this country has turned into a manufacturing graveyard....... were not competent to make a paper clip anymore.

................oztules

Offline oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2016, 06:31:08 pm »
Here is the new prototype board...... the underside shows the snafu and new connection.
Problem is I have no 2110 or converter boards or 22pf caps at the moment, so testing is indeterminate at this point.... dammit.
5272-0

5274-1

I have no the slightest idea how the inductances and resistances will work so far from the chip. It may be that I need to place the decoupling circuit and the crystal circuit on the converter board.... we'll see...... Ross???

...............oztules

Offline frwainscott

« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2016, 10:45:02 pm »
Check this out...

Offline oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2016, 12:38:38 am »
Thats a 002 used in a high frequency inverter....not something I would bother to emulate..... LF inverters are streets ahead for off grid applications. There is no decent surge in that topology I'm afraid, and it is also much more picky in it's loads.

................oztules

Offline ClockmanFrance

« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2016, 04:48:53 am »
That New OzControl Board is looking good.

10 way pin for the Power Board, good.

Sensing Toroid incorporated, good. That means the big 10mm/2 AC cables are no longer on the board, that's real good.

Might have to come here some how, even if I have internet connection problems. Looks like I am stepping on the so called patronizing professional toes, and might be thrown out of 'Fieldlines' forum.

Why can't folk help, not hinder.

Offline rossw

• Senior Moderator
  • Grumpy-old-Unix-Admin
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2016, 05:36:24 am »
professional toes

Ain't been "professional toes" in the chain-of-command @ foolslies for a very long time.

Why can't folk help, not hinder.

Some places they do. Like here. Over there, it's the "tall poppy syndrome" on steroids.
And if you happen to have an opinion different to whoever's pulling the strings that day, you better not express it, or there WILL be tears before bedtime.

Ahh, the stories some of us ex-mods and ex-admins of that place could tell you... but we don't dwell on the past!

Offline frwainscott

« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2016, 12:21:19 pm »
well.... I was thinking that it gave me some insight into how the egs002 board was functioning.... But never mind... your already a mile ahead of me.  :)