Author Topic: guess who bought a power jack inverter  (Read 204330 times)

Offline Andrew

Re: guess who bought a power jack inverter
« Reply #330 on: November 09, 2015, 06:59:31 am »
Hi folks, I'm playing with the LF's on 12v and 48v systems, now trying to communicate with a seller on Ebay by the name of David to procure some main and control boards.

He is bent on making sure that the boards he sends are identical to the ones I currently have, which is understandable, but this is the same model that had problems with solar controllers triggering shutdowns and the like. (My nice 8000/48v unit went south in a puff of smoke, beware of the tape under the pcb! I was trying to mod the sensing resistor and a blob of solder went through the hole and spread out between the tape and the pcb.)

Anyway, I'm trying and failing to convince him to send me new versions of the boards. Has anyone seen/played with the newer versions and are they pin/terminal compatible with the old ones? It doesn't matter if they aren't, as long as there is enough info for me to follow to put a working unit together. A picture or two of them would be great. I am planning to rewind a couple of Inspire toriods so I can kick over my big single phase compressor.

Cheers!

Offline off the wall

« Reply #331 on: November 09, 2015, 03:00:53 pm »
I'm so sorry to have been negligent in answering PMs here from Sean and Phred on similar questions about PJ boards. I've been in France where I indulge in mad escapades of animating a puppet who does crazy things

[MOD EDIT - LINK REMOVED - Off The Wall - This is a family-friendly site, and links to this kind of material are not acceptable. I'm leaving the directly linked individual pictures as they themselves are not specifically in violation, and being Oztules' thread, he can take further action if he sees fit. - Steve (MadScientist267) ]

and who uses me as her chauffeur demanding to go places

and is able to draw attention to things such as  . . .

commenting that if we used so much carbon then by the end there'd only be silicone people like her around.

It was a long journey and before long we needed more fuel

which she put into the tank

so gently drawing attention to issues upon which we focus here.

For anyone wanting boards, Cher at PJ is very very helpful and I recommending getting in touch with her directly. powerjack.cher )@( gmail dot com

On Sean's tip-off I have been trying out a PJ MPPT controller for charging 24V batteries from solar panels but have had indeterminate results so far as to whether it's advantageous or not. Without doubt wiring 30V panels in series pairs to make 60 volts and using EP Solar Tracer MPPT units really does get the last drop of power out of the panels whilst I've found the cheap "MPPT30" http://www.yoosmart.com/mppt-30a-solar-charge-controller-mppt30.html to be rather good - and importantly controllable in setting maximum battery voltage giving different charging regimes for summer and winter.

Best wishes

OTW

Offline ClockmanFrance

« Reply #332 on: November 13, 2015, 04:07:04 am »
OTW,  France you say.........    :)
All here are very obliging. Pic shows yesterdays Evening movements, local young ladies on the tractor.

4857-0

Thanks for the tip regards....  "For anyone wanting boards, Cher at PJ is very very helpful and I recommending getting in touch with her directly. powerjack.cher )@( gmail dot com "

Offline augustus

« Reply #333 on: December 03, 2015, 10:34:55 pm »
Hi mr Oztules, Ive tried to get my head around your description of the filter you installed on the powerjack 8000w, and don't want yet another fried inverter on my hands, so could you please explain just exactly where the E core should be installed? where the primaries are located, are the transformer primaries siamesed onto the output of the filtered cable etc!
sorry for the questions, I went out (well online) and bought an Identical model and the E core to suit!
I'm in southern tas so getting stuff here isn't a great deal easier than Flinders it seems.
My setup is changing all the time and is now, 8x200w 45v panels in 4 strings of 2 leading to a Gsl mppt charge controller to 12x600amd 2v cells then at the moment a powerjack 8000w modified sine wave inverter!
my 3000w hf powerjack pure sine wave failed to precede! I can only run our fisher and paykel washer on one simple wash cycle as the others get stuck, and our 1970s microwave just Humms, Also now I'm older I cant read the subtitles on my 12v 19" tv so I bought a Kogans 32" cheapy, which I am too scared to even hook up!
regards
Augustus

Offline off the wall

« Reply #334 on: December 04, 2015, 05:17:12 am »
Hi!

It's great to welcome you. I've gone through different power jack inverters - and have a 8000 Modified Sine wave for a circuit for an electric heater in the barn or other emergency use but that's not the one I use. I had a 5000 Pure Sine serving another circuit and before finding OZT's genius modification to the LF inverters, used that in winter as its standby wastage was only 1 amp or so rather than 5 amps of the unmodified 5000LF. But that Pure Sine unit lasted only a year and a radio ham friend was frustrated by its radio interference.

The Modified and Pure Sine inverters are High Frequency inverters. These take the 24V or whatever DC and turn it into high frequency AC then to go through very efficient tiny transformers, then to be rectified to high voltage DC and then chopped and split into + and - parts of the AC cycle.

It's the LF units that are magic. These are pure beef and are as reliable as an ox. They take the DC, chop it up and shape it into AC at the same voltage and then shove that through the big heavy transformer to give your AC power. And it's in the power lead from the electronics to the transformer low voltage side that one inserts the choke described by OZT and it's these units also that can provide false grid to grid tie inverters for larger mini-grids.

Best wishes

OTW

Offline augustus

« Reply #335 on: December 05, 2015, 03:40:18 am »
Thanks for the welcome OTW, and the description, I suppose that it will be all that bit clearer once the beastie arrives next week and I get the cover off!
cheers A

Offline augustus

« Reply #336 on: December 08, 2015, 10:43:55 pm »
I received my powerjack 8000w LF in the mail this morning and pulled the cover to check all the connections, which were all nice and tight and It only had One large torroidal transformer! Is this particular to the 2015 model?
also there is an unlabled switch on the front panel< does anyone know what its for, I can't find anything in the owners manual about iit'
It has become apparent where the E filter goes though.
A

Offline off the wall

« Reply #337 on: December 09, 2015, 03:38:27 am »
Is the label on the transformer blacked out in pen?

The 8000W unit should have two transformers.

The 6000W unit had two 3000W transformers.

The variants of transformers used to be 3000W for the 3000, 6000 and 10000W units and 5000W for the 5000, 8000 and 15000W units.

If you bought yours on an auction that had a low price start . . . . .

I only buy units either for me or for people who come to me through Cher. I pay more usually than ebay prices.

Best wishes

OTW

Offline dochubert

• 11 powerjacks, 9 that run, 3 actually used daily
« Reply #338 on: December 11, 2015, 05:43:52 pm »
I'm new here but can contribute.
I recently bought a PJ 15kw 48v and it has the small toggle switch unlabeled as to function.  I emailed the seller and was told some inverters (apparently at random) were fitted with a toggle to force the main fan to run continuously if desired. 
That was a few months back and I have since noted that the toggle is wired parallel to the thermal switch on the first toroid xfmr and does indeed turn on the main fan.

Why some inverters and not others?  Good question.
We're all going to DIE!  (eventually)

USA = Communist former republic
---  dochubert --

Offline off the wall

« Reply #339 on: December 11, 2015, 05:49:55 pm »
That sounds interesting and might indicate under-rating the transformers requiring more continuous cooling . . . or for hotter climates.

Best wishes

OTW

Offline toxsickcity

« Reply #340 on: December 22, 2015, 03:49:07 pm »
hi guys

i have browsed this topic somewhat most people seem happy with powerjack inverters, might be a good idea to ask here b4 my purchase

i currently have a kipoint inverter the low frequency model 1200W, works well, still good after 7 years of always being on. but now need a 12v system.

is it a problem if i buy the inverter on ebay auction, not the buy it now? i am looking at the bidding for the 3000 LF LCD model.
any recommended seller? full listing vs auction??

i will run a desktop pc and home theatre.. watts meter shows max 1000 watts used when gaming.. sounds right to me.

so the smallest 3000w power jack is the one im looking at.

my concerns are idle power consumption, but i see you have modified them adding a choke.

so please guide me on ebay auctions, ok to buy? are these inferior to full listings?
price approx to modify adding choke for better idle use power, do latest LCD 2015 models perform better than older ones?
and general build quality? will it last? any additional comments welcomed
if there is better option.. better quality for a few dollars more. i would consider it.

im just scared to buy this, if the circuits die, is it costly to repair? dont want to harm my computer, tv, etc using a crap inverter. bud very budget minded on next inverter choice. tho 350 to 400 $AU seems cheaply.. if better models exsist for say $100-200 more and if au branded, built

EDIT...
ive also been looking at this one, unit weight of 24kg so must have a transformer in it.. low frequency plus derrimet is just next suburb over. might get a offline deal!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-9000W-PEAK-12V-PURE-SINEWAVE-POWER-INVERTER-40A-CHARGER-REMOTE-10M-CABLE-/360771967853?hash=item53ffaf5b6d:g:iV4AAOSwyvBV9jTB

different brand

thanks so much..

p.s. typed on a tablet.. sorry for spelling and no caps

Offline off the wall

« Reply #341 on: December 22, 2015, 05:20:33 pm »
Hi! And WELCOME!

A few posts up is Cher's email address - I'd email her and tell her that you specifically want the 3000LF with the intended proper 3000LF transformer.

Because these inverters are cheaper than others, you can afford to buy a spare set of the electronics. Ask her.

They won't go wrong and you won't need them. But if you do, having them means that you're not in a panic.

What would be really really helpful is if someone who knows the circuit might be able to give instructions on how to drive multiple power boards with one controller board . . .  Any chance?

Best wishes

OTW

Offline toxsickcity

« Reply #342 on: December 23, 2015, 04:28:15 am »
thankyou for referring me to that email.. seems like she is going to look after me, good price and interesting to test the invertér

thanks

Offline oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #343 on: December 23, 2015, 02:10:33 pm »
Toxic,
The inverter you pointed to (pw7) is a very good work horse. Basicaslly the same electronics, but with E I transfromer..... very lossy.
You can email the seller and find out if the 25w idle is on continuous or search mode.... if continuous, then I would probably go for that one  ( basically next door from the sounds of it).

The EI transformers can be in the hundreds of watts idle, so check it out if it is physically in your neighbourhood...... The W7 is generally far more stable out of the box, but very hungry.
Ask them about replacement boards too. They should have them, as I got some for my big W7 (18000w). If you can use a soldering iron, then you only need the control board really.

The PJ can be hungry too, but the choke can bring it right down, the EI does not respond nearly as well...but it will respond.... usually double or more than the torroids.

If you have plenty of solar, and a few extra KWH is of no consequence, then the W7 is better ( albeit noisier ). The PJ is only a real winner if you want low idle power with high intermittant surges.... the PJ will not be useful as a UPS.... the W7 will..... remember with the PJ you must turn the unit off before connecting mains, and before disconnecting mains .... or you will kill it.  W7 transformers are sloppy enough to allow this just fine.... horses for courses.

I don't use my W7 anymore, as the idle is high with original transformers, but that is the only fault with them I can find ( the fan running full time is not too sexy either). So I use PJboards and different transformers... best for me... but not everyone.

..................oztules
Flinders Island...... Australia

Offline toxsickcity

« Reply #344 on: December 23, 2015, 08:39:58 pm »
hi again,

in your last reply one thing is of concern.
"remember with the PJ you must turn the unit off before connecting mains, and before disconnecting mains"

I have a relay which when battery hits xx volt it switch to mains... when volt is high it returns to inverter..

will powerjack happily accept a load of 500 to 700w as soon as the relay is connected to inverter. the statement you said seems powerjack wants to softstart everything?? confused..

my current inverter is happy with this,. works well

what choke do I buy for improve watts at idle since powerjack will stay on 24hr.
what cost, and what negative effect will this mod have if any?

thx