Author Topic: Here is my Veggie Garden  (Read 4719 times)

Offline WooferHound

• Technowhiz
  • Global Moderator
  • Huntsville Alabama USA
    • My personal webpage
Here is my Veggie Garden
« on: April 11, 2012, 12:32:24 pm »
I've been talking about my Veggie Garden so I thought I would show it to you . . .

887-0

This is an expandable thumbnail so you can click it to see the full sized version.
I couldn't get the whole thing in a single photo so I had to take a bunch of pics and stich them together into a Panorama.

I have some plants in the ground and the rest is waiting for it to warm up a bit before planting the rest. There are 5 beds in all, the little bed on the left is the newest one and I'm putting my herbs in it. It's coming along nicely. I intend to double up on the Improvements to the soil this winter.
----- W o o f e r h o u n d -----
My Renewable Energy Projects

Offline Poorboy

Re: Here is my Veggie Garden
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 08:03:25 pm »
Cool, nice job on putting the pics together. Here's mine. Kind of all over the place.

Cabbage up front, Brussel sprouts in back and beets(seeds) in between.

Orange and Yellow Bell Peppers up front and Early Girl 50 maters in the back.

Amish Paste maters, Vidalia Onions and Buttercrunch Lettuce

Danver's Red Carrots, Radish, Yellow Onion, Radish, Buttercrunch Lettuce

Red Chantenay Carrots, Snow Peas, Radish, Iceberg Lettuce

Red Taters

Red Taters x4

More Red Taters

The girls flower bed. Rocks by me

Half Collards/Kale/Mustard Greens - Half Cow Peas for soil amendment Greens will be followed by cover crop as well

Also got another bed with Lincoln peas, more carrots and a hill of early corn. Maters, peppers and brassicas were store bought starts, onions were store bought sets and taters were store bought seed potatoes. Everything else from seed of course. Been a week since the pics were taken and the red potatoes are a foot tall now. Carrots are getting their true leaves. Peas have tendrils reaching for the chicken wire so I need to brace that up soon. Also need to fence everything in or I'll just be feeding critters. Also planted some blackberries,raspberries and have some blueberry plants but we'll be putting in containers made from 55 gal drums.
We're off grid, primitive, no well etc and during the warm spell we just had, we were running out of water so we quit watering the cow peas aka black eyed peas. Those tough little suckers still pushed right through the crusted clay and some even lifted up rocks to break free.
That red mulch is actually red oak, mostly rotted and sitting since the logging 10+ years ago. Lighter than balsa wood and crumbles by hand. That's my sit down job and I need to do a lot more of it. Some of that red oak sits high and dry and is still solid. Made nice heating fuel this winter.

Offline Grit

• No california. 40 miles from K falls Or.
Re: Here is my Veggie Garden
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 04:00:25 pm »
Nice well organized garden ,WooferHound.
Poorboy, how deep to water. ?Curious how are you going to water or rely on the weather??
We had to go to 300 feet for the well, had it done, but ended up with 25 GPM . Very spendy. ON volacnic ground, lots of water but all underground, got to pump it.  Grit
Grit