Author Topic: OzInverter As a grid tied inverter with built in charger/ auto-transfer  (Read 2908 times)

Offline Sandramar

Hello folks,
I'm wondering if anyone have tried to incorporate a triac based charging circuit to the OzInverter , along with Auto transfer as the commoGrid tie inverters do. Like Xantrex.I found this circuit (picture).it is 110vac 60hz circuit but is a good reference . Any thoughts?
I didn't know it couldn't be done, so I did it

Offline Sandramar

In theory if I turn off the High side bridge's mosfets and keep switching the lower side mosfet , I would be able to charge using the body Diodes of the higher side. See picture

Offline rossw

• Senior Moderator
  • Grumpy-old-Unix-Admin
In theory if I turn off the High side bridge's mosfets and keep switching the lower side mosfet , I would be able to charge using the body Diodes of the higher side. See picture

Doesn't the same argument hold true for the low side FETs?
If you didn't turn the low-side on, you STILL have a bridge rectifier made in the form of 4 body diodes from the h-bridge??

Or do you mean that it's "relatively" simple to simply not switch the high-side but more complex to not switch the low-side ?

Offline Sandramar

Hello,

Rossw,
I found answer to my question reading this Design note from Infineon "MOSFET selection for low voltage UPS
Design guidelines" (attached).
Switching the lower side will handle PFC (Power Factor Correction) in charging state.

Still wondering if someone try to charge batteries on  an OZInverter from Mains.