The Corner Tavern. > Weather

Hottest July ever in my area are the airports recording the temps right?

(1/7) > >>

Wolvenar:
This has been the hottest July/summer ever in northern Minnesota.

Despite the  "official" airport readings I have been monitoring a variety of mercury ( or its replacement) thermometers I have around here along with digital versions and they are all in similar agreement. I have been recording well into the triple digits many times this year, yet our official airport says much less.. I can say this even happened the other day in another town where I was for the day. So I started asking around to friends I know are competent enough to know how to correctly monitor temps ( location of thermometers etc) and have been told very much the same. We were given the explanation a few times that we must be living in a heat island.

I might give this some credit, if one of them did not live on the other side of the highway from the airport. I have visited him to make sure the way he has things setup should not be a problem. The other odd part is for the most part all I have asked have within 2 degree difference. The same day/time record from the airport say over a 10 degree difference.

This is not just my town, but a couple others .. 
What could be going on here?
I don't think we are all doing it wrong..

Is anyone here finding similar?

David HK:
Here in Hong Kong the temperature in my car port last Friday was 37.7 Celsius. In fact the last two weeks have been very hot with daily temperatures between 33 and 37.7 Celsius.

Yes, I too wonder what is happening.

David in HK

WooferHound:
Yeah I see different temps from the airport and the local TV stations. My well placed thermometer usually reads about 5 degrees higher than other sources.

I have been working outside many times doing sound for Live Events. Many times the temps went up to 105 and one day the temps were 109 f (43 c). I found out that sucking on ice cubes is almost like air conditioning.

Here is a snip-it from an article about the history of Alabama's hot Summers
----------------------------------
Looking only at average high temperatures in Alabama for June, July and August, he found that the average for the past six summers was the hottest since 1952-1957.

While 2006-2011 was the hottest six-summer stretch in more than half a century, it was only the tenth hottest six-summer period on the 129-year record. That seems to eliminate manmade global warming as a likely cause for the recent hot summers, Christy said.

"Since these temperatures aren't higher than earlier temperatures, it doesn't look like 'global warming,' but more like a problem we still wrestle with: unpredictable natural variability," Christy said. "No one really knows what triggers these natural shifts in the climate."

Despite the recent warm summers, Alabama's long-term summer temperature trend over the entire 129-year period is cooling at the rate of about 0.12 degree Fahrenheit per decade. That means summer high temperatures for the several summers before 2006 were about 1.5 degrees F cooler than they were in the late 1800s and early 1900s.
----------------------------------

Isaiah:
I have wondered about this to as the lame stream  media is never as hot as we get  or in the winter never as cold.
 when I pick up a thermometer at the store i look at all of them and see what they are reading.
 and pick one that reads the same as the majority as the others and still never get the same as media weather. its been very hot here in S.W.Mich
 My young Cherry trees lost their leaves due to the heat.
I lost a lot of plants this year in the garden due to the ex stream erratic weather.
Isaiah

dang:
Guidelines for a weather station...
* Temperature sensor should be mounted 5 feet +/- 1 above the ground and/or 3 feet above record snowpack.
* Temperature sensor should be shrouded by at least a double-cone or multiple cone gill insulated 'house' without an open bottom.
* The ground over which the temp sensor shelter is located should be typical of the surrounding area, only sand or dirt if you're in a desert.
* A level, open clearing is desirable so the thermometers are freely ventilated by air flow.
* The sensor should be no closer than four times the height of any obstruction (tree, fence, building, etc.)
* The sensor should be at least 100 feet from any concrete or pavement. Even with a good pagoda or rocket shape solar radiation shield the temperatures will read high and may need some error correction.
A temperature sensor system over snow pack may read +5 C 'high on a calm air day.
Some temp sensors use forced air to help compensate for sun heating.

... so the nine or ten 100°F-plus days I've recorded in my back deck were 'urban heat island' readings, the Airport only reported TWO.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version