Author Topic: Portable AC's  (Read 9334 times)

Offline rossw

• Senior Moderator
  • Grumpy-old-Unix-Admin
Re: Portable AC's
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2012, 08:55:32 pm »
It amazes me that nobody has started making a commercial unit with a WATER cooled condenser.

But instead of draining it to the ground outside, collect it in a container where the hot coils are, and have the fan sling it around a bit.

Everyone seems to have missed my point.
Not using water to AID the air-cooling, but INSTEAD OF it... so it wouldn't need a conduit to the window *at all*

Offline Bryan1

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2012, 04:15:33 am »
For a permanent fixture theres nothing wrong with the kalgoolie fridge concept. all thats needed is a tub to hold the water a few hessian sacks, a elcheapo water pump and a fan or 3. Install it low down so the tank is on the outside and the fans inside. Then a nice cool breeze from the fans will push the hot air up and out thru a high place  open window.

OK won't work in real high humid places but it works fine here in summer where we have a dry heat.

Cheers Bryan

Offline RP

• No Personal Text Set by User
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2012, 09:23:45 am »
It amazes me that nobody has started making a commercial unit with a WATER cooled condenser.

I've seen that done a lot for small industrial equipment like temperature controlled chambers for machinery.  You'll have a small ~5-10,000 btu air-conditioner inside the chamber and instead of a hot fan-coil, there's just a couple water hoses carrying the heat away.  Usually these lead to a larger recirculating water chiller somewhere else but in a pinch they can run off of tap water.