Author Topic: Combining know-how  (Read 7815 times)

Offline bvan1941

• No Personal Text Set by User
Re: Combining know-how
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2012, 12:48:29 pm »
People that don't make wind turbines come and look at our creations marvel at what we've accomplished and often say "you just have to know so much, but you already have so much technical skills, so talented, (etc.), I couldn't do that-- no way !!)" They don't know that 75% of what they are looking at - came from what I learned from people on these Forums,----I just copied what you HAVE DONE!!

Some of these people just described are doctors, software engineers, masons, pilots, etc. !!  They are from all walks of life-----yet they can't envision themselves building what we/you did. They put artificial "limits" on themselves, without even picking up the first tool.
"Without even trying."
My point is this- Are we saying the same type of thing about those making improvements over our current level of achievements??" I think so. I don't say that I/we have to be specific in exactly what we incorporate-- to reach the next level of achievement.
Like the Wright Brothers, Edison and the lightbulb-- they pushed themselves and won!!! I too think we can win as a team contributing as we learn what does and what does not work, to overcome this challenge.
Bill

Offline tomw

• Not as bad as you might think
  • Senior Moderator
  • hoplophobic people will fear my lifestyle
    • Zubbly's photos!
Re: Combining know-how
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2012, 02:13:52 pm »
I think a huge portion of the general population considers electricity to be some magical entity and fear it on that basis alone.

We happen to know it is not magical but still requires caution and can be tamed.

Does that make us some kind of cult of magicians?

No, but it may look that way to some.

Been fooling with shoving electrons around most of my life so solar and wind electric is a natural for me as it likely is for others in the cult.

What I think is important is the sharing and the community that brings the knowledge to people across the globe.

On a side note:

Both Zubbly [RIP] for sure and (I think) JacquesM had an idea of "distributed Manufacturing" where you had several cottage industry level manufacturing set ups that provided components. Blades, stators, magnet rotors, whatever.  Folks could order up whatever they needed and could not build themselves as well as full kits to assemble.

Sadly, the main drive was Zubbly and his idea for motor conversions from a standard, common induction motor and he is gone now, along with more knowledge on motors than most of us can even imagine.

The idea had multiple upsides like empowering small wind for the unskilled and providing home based income for some folks with skills.

I still think it is a viable idea if we could keep the lawyers out of it?

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ?° ?? ?°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies