Author Topic: My 12kW powerjack build - Ozinverter Inspiration!  (Read 13135 times)

Offline influence

Re: My 12kW powerjack build - Ozinverter Inspiration!
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2017, 01:35:35 am »
I also noticed the tracks on the boards needed some beefing up. So I added more solder and 2mm copper wire to the tracks on the FET board and just added some solder to the control board where the 50A of 230V will flow!

Offline influence

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2017, 01:38:57 am »
The heatsink cable connection points seem a little woeful....So I added some copper bus bars to the points...
One busbar for each of the primary heatsinks and one long busbar for the +V rail heatsink.

I had some earth / neutral switchboard bars lying around....hence the odd hole or two...

Note I added a plastic support brace for the primary side heatsinks ... it makes it more rigid when fitting
thick cables....and less likely to cause the board to crack...

Offline influence

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2017, 01:42:44 am »
I like this layout. It has seriously short cable leads (reduction in copper requirements)...
I now need to build a box, 40cm x 40cm footprint by 30cm high....thats a tiny footprint for a real
12kW inverter!!!

Offline oztules

• Forum Advisors
  • Village idiot
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2017, 06:43:59 am »
Beware, if your really going to pull 50 amps for any time from the the thing in the 240v circuits, remember, you have a small CT there carrying the 50 amps in it's primary... you may need to use a current coil instead, this will keep the current off the control board too. Peaks will be ok.... but continuous will kill the CT.

My 8010 boards will run 20 kw( 86 amps@ 230v )  for start currents in big ( 5hp etc) induction motors, but they also use a current toroidal coil not a transformer. I would worry with the PJ system if it was to use 4kw or more for any real time..( the CT that is )
Will soon do an article on the finished units with gerbers, pdf etc.... just need to find the time and energy now.

...........oztules
Flinders Island...... Australia

Offline influence

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2017, 10:02:50 am »
You know the more I look at that control board the more I dislike it...
The FET board looks ok to me.

Im catching up on the EGS002 topics...

Offline influence

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2017, 08:16:02 pm »
Its a bit unclear. Did you get the EGS002 to work reliably in a LF setup or do I have to go with the core chip and driver stages like you did on the 8010 board?
Btw will a split core current clamp like this do as a current transformer for the PJ board. Then not send the AC to the board and stick 2 x 2uF caps on the output directly?

Can I use this sort of cap instead of a 275V X2?

http://au.rs-online.com/web/p/polypropylene-film-capacitors/1964646

Offline oztules

• Forum Advisors
  • Village idiot
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2017, 08:32:48 pm »
Yes the egs002 works fine, but will need to have better current shutdown than the on board one. You need a small transformer to control the ac voltage as well.... do not use the generic system they show in the egs002 data sheets.

The pJ boards are ok, and the ct can be replaced with a current torroid or equivelent  to replace the CT.... then yes 2-5uf can be used off board to shape the final wave ( thats what they are for ).... you mayneed to change the resistor across the CT to allow for the different voltages generated by the torroid current coil. you will find it if you trace back from the CT.

The caps you show will work, but there are better cheaper alternatives available too.....

Have not used split core current devices, but they should work fine, just re-calibrate for them.

A lot of more recent development has taken place over here
http://www.thebackshed.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=4
plenty of projects using the 8010, and a few 002 boards.

the PJ is still a good board.

........oztules

Offline influence

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2017, 08:55:34 pm »
So should I aim (for now) to use the PJ Board, however, fix the CT issue and run external caps off the board.?
I will migrate to the EGS002/8010 setup later on perhaps.

Offline oztules

• Forum Advisors
  • Village idiot
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2017, 09:01:03 pm »
Run it natively for a bit and see how your real power usage stacks up in the real world..... then see how hot the ct gets, and everything else.

...oztules

Offline influence

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2017, 12:33:18 am »
Ok out of interest I desoldered the CT and the capacitor....I can always put it back.

Btw the cap on the board is a 4.7uF 630V unit. I was thinking of using an external 5uF cap.... and then add some decoupling caps 0.1uF to Earth.

Ran a little test.

PJ CT: 1.65A produces 5V on the secondary
SCT013 100A:50mA split core: 1.65A produces 1.5V on the secondary.

So it appears the PJ CT voltage is 3 times the output of the SC

The burden resistor is ....

Offline welshman

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2017, 04:56:14 am »
great thread, enjoyed seeing your mods. fyi if you intend to put 50 amps through that pj control board in bypass mode... then that little pfc inductor is going to have its laquer burn up after a few minutes.

don't forget that tiny relay on there too, if that shorts closed, then the inputs become outputs - and the pj may fail to fire up. it would be quite interesting to see how it would respond to detecting its output as an input, might end up thinking it's in charge mode while inverting.. might even blow up something.

oztules.. with regards to the CT are you referring to the one on the underside of the control board?

it seems it would be wise to relocate the 240v inputs / outputs, relay, pfc inductor and ct to a seperate board with much better connections and tracks to take 50a as a 50 amp circuit breaker will allow much more than 50 amps for a minute or two before it trips.

Offline welshman

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2017, 05:03:03 am »
id be interested in what is your idle current with the new e core? as im still running on the standard toroid it came wiith. with the fans off im seeing 80w at idle.

- and when you're done and up and running, i'd like to compare how long you get 12 kw before the toroid is at 100deg c in comparison to my standard 15kw pair of toroids.

Offline oztules

• Forum Advisors
  • Village idiot
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2017, 07:29:38 pm »
I did not see a ct under the board on my units, but they are 4 years or more behind whatever they have now.... I am way out of the loop with the PJ boards now.

............oztules

Offline influence

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2018, 12:48:58 am »
Hi all

I've been flat out BUT I finally managed to finish this damn inverter...and the results are spectacular....

The front...real simple, a breaker, a display and a toggle switch...

Offline influence

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2018, 12:50:19 am »
Basically its made out of old recycled materials....

The back: