Project Journals > Oztules

Playing with alternators Part 2

<< < (3/3)

Pete:
Nice article Oz. I have tried in the past to get alternator rotors apart. Failed so far. Tried a press and a bearing puller,, but still never managed to get one apart.
Can you describe how you actually got yours apart in part 1.
I have a very small micro hydro, have an ephemeral creek, with only 20 metres of head. I get about 60 watts out of the turbine, which is fine. I would love to make an alternator with a permag rotor so that I don't need to waste power exciting the rotor.
Hope you can remember just how you got the rotor apart.
Cheerio
Pete

oztules:
Technically, you don;t want any part of the rotor for perm magnet uses.
You will need a brass, or stainless shaft to stop shorting the flux.... so that shaft original is no good.

I used this

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ]

Heavy wall pipe, and about 15 tons should do it.... thats a 50 tonne press, and it did not struggle at all.
But as I said, the shaft is no good for you, but I suppose you could sandwich mags between the claws with a stainless shaft... but I think efficiency may be better with a magnet rotor.... so the rotors are no use either.

...........oztules

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ]

Pete:
Thanks Oz, hadn't thought about the shaft shorting out the magnetic circuit. I guess I will have to make a permag rotor to fit. Or just get a small commercial permag alternator.
Cheers
Pete

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version