Project Journals > Wolvenar

Beginnings of a new genny ( put on hold since at least 2006)

<< < (2/2)

Wolvenar:
OK both ordered
Might be a good idea though if anyone has a good resource like ksouers mentioned, maybe we can put together a list of known reputable companies?

Bryan1:
Hi wolv,
             The idea I came up with for my motor conversions is to use a dual row ball bearing for the rear bearing. As the rear bearing does take all the thrust of the prop going to the heavier bearing on the rear in my opinion is a good idea. My 1.5Kw conversion has been flying for a few years now with a 3 metre prop and last weekend I did hear a squeak coming form the genny so it does look like it's time to bring mine down for a look. With all this talk about motor conversions I'm going to have to get somemore epoxy so I can get going on my 4kw conversion. Like my first one I do like to fully encase the magnets in epoxy to seal the magnets against the elements and with the 4kw it will help on the insertion and removal of the rotor so no mags can be damaged in the process.

Regards Bryan

kurt:
http://www.motionindustries.com/motion3/jsp/mii/index.html

these guys have a location here in town the local location here has always done right by me for all my bearing and industrial belt and chain needs.

Wolvenar:
@ Bryan

As you can see I did the same with my two conversions so far ( encase in epoxy)
This one has magnets acquired mainly from TomW, and the remainder from wondermagnet years and years ago.
The ones from Tom had no coating of any kind, and the wondermagnet ones were nickle coated, but I peeled it off to help the epoxy adhere to them.

The image doesn't show it well because of the dirt and such but after cutting it to size I put another layer of epoxy over the magnets and then a light coating of paint I had left over from another project for the kids.
So far there doesn't show any degrading of the epoxy or any kind of corrosion or rust on the magnets, and it has been relatively exposed to the elements.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version