Project Journals > Oztules

testing the egs002 inverter board

(1/117) > >>

oztules:
Had a bit of free time to play with the EGS002 board recently... and this is as far as I have had time at this stage
Did a quick circuit board to match the PJ h bridge board and one I cobbled together to test initially.
The board looks like this

Is  as simple as I can do for a pre run.

Here it is running a 40 watt load

It was the only filament globe I had

There is only 1 fet per bridge as in this:

I also built a little h bridge to test initially which worked fine too:

It will be noted I made it compatible with the PJ connections so  if it worked I could just plug in the pj... it did.

the output looks like this @ 240v:

As you can see, my scope could not handle the output, so I turned it down a bit to 180v or thereabouts to se it complete

Later added 200 watts of resistor, and the thing behaved exactly the same.

The fet stayed cold during this, so it looks like time to use 6 fets/bank, and use the main battery bank, and a bigger transformer to see how well it drives more fets.

If the transitions stay within a decent band, it may require no more drive than the board supplies.. I can hope.....

So the test was fine, and when I get time I will expand on it.

My preference is for isolated supplies for the high and low switching... but will see how this goes first.
I ran it as low as 68vac up to 260vac, seems completely stable all the way up and down.
The 56vdc power supply is only 300w, so I went as far as I dared for the first runs.
These boards can be bought for as little as $7-$8 each from aliexpress if you want to play cheaply.

Did not get a chance to test current limits obviously, but the temp limiter works ( put it against 200w resistor).It self resets when I took the temp probe away from the resistor just fine.
Soft start works well. Starts under the 240w load no problem, smooth and clean wave. Frequency stable, and amplitude climbs to set point nicely.

Very interesting unit to start out with. I suspect you could get 600 or more watts with a single fet h bridge with 48v unit.

Edit..... I know it is hard to see the globe.... it blends in with the background well.

......................oztules

ClockmanFrance:
That's really Nice!

RFburns:
Great stuff Oz! :) .This looks like it will make a nice roll your own solution for the driver boards allowing great flexibility depending on its load ability ; did you get any of the LCD's that couple to the EGS002?, not that there is a lot of useful info from it.

oztules:
No LCD from them, although I have plenty of lcd screens i could use I suppose.

It does look to be very useful, and if it turns out that it is stable with all kinds of loads, it may well be a good replacement for the power jack control card.

Easy to draw up the PJ fet card with a few more bits on it to improve it 's layout, and get a few printed in double thickness.
I do like the idea of separate cards.

This would make a very very cheap high power unit..... no idea how good it will be until we give it a proper trial, but going my yesterdays tests, it does look good.

How it handles the current transients I don't know. The PJ is good in that it gives you 3 x power for 12 seconds, then gives up, not sure how much this will do before it gives up etc etc. Keen to find out, but too many folks with problems to solve the last few days.... need to work on the big windmills here tomorrow to track down some problems there with their direction electronics....always something.

Island life is perfect, but sometimes hectic as well....

...............oztules

RFburns:
Recovery time under load should be good 1-3 cycles max, this board will provide surge performance to the point that undervoltage on pin 9 is detected (2.75v) lifted from the data sheet (see below);  I would guess that provided your FET's are up to it and supply line voltage does not drop it should be good, will look forward to your further tests. Stu

--- Quote ---To prevent output voltage is too low or too high when supply to the load, EG8010 has integrated
overvoltage and undervoltage protection. Overvoltage protection is set at 3.15V with 300mS delay.
Undervoltage protection is set at 2.75V with 3S delay. When either situation happens, depending on
pin (9)PWMTYP’s setting, EG8010 will set the level of SPWMOUT1 to SPWMOUT4 at “0” or “1”,
and shut down all power MOSFET to decrease the voltage to zero. Eight seconds after overvoltage
or undervoltage protection activates, EG8010 will turn on power MOSFET for 100ms to
re-determine output voltage. If overvoltage or undervoltage issue still exists, EG8010 will repeat the
process above every eight seconds. If EG8010 runs regularly for more than one minute, it will zero
the counter of overvoltage and undervoltage. However, if EG8010 does not function regularly after
five 8-second cycle, it will complete turn off the output of SPWM unit. It needs a hard reset to start
again.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version