Author Topic: Wanting to setup my Solar Power system again  (Read 3057 times)

Offline WooferHound

• Technowhiz
  • Global Moderator
  • Huntsville Alabama USA
    • My personal webpage
Wanting to setup my Solar Power system again
« on: June 04, 2018, 10:30:45 am »
I had planned to move to a new location a few years ago, but all of those plans changed and now I am staying at the same place  that I have lived for 13 years. Had removed the solar power system when fixing up the house to sell.

So ... the new plan is to setup the same 200 watt solar power system. This time it will not be in a shed 110 feet away from where I am using the power. It will be built onto the side of the house about 15 feet from where the power distribution panel will be under my computer desk. The panels will get plenty of Sun and the wiring will be much easier and cheaper. I will still need to build a small enclosure for the batteries and electronics which will also support the racks for the solar panels.

Just coming to this revelation in the last few days and plans are all still in my head. Still have all the parts but I think the batteries were killed from overuse by my exwife. Will keep you updated as to when things get started.
----- W o o f e r h o u n d -----
My Renewable Energy Projects

Offline Pete

• Mount Barrow Tasmania
Re: Wanting to setup my Solar Power system again
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 05:03:46 pm »
Sounds great Woof, I have recently moved and installed a 1.2 kilowatt stand alone system. Two weeks ago we had the powerlines removed and I had the pleasure of cutting down the power poles.
After living for the last 40 years on stand alone power systems of various sizes this is my biggest system.
Just wondering what folk use to monitor their setups output and inputs.
I have always just used a voltmeter and ammeter and looked at it from time to time, but some way of storing the info would be good.
Good luck putting your system back together.
Pete

Offline MadScientist267

• Impossible Condition Curator
  • Rules? What rules?
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 03:02:02 pm »
Good to hear you're getting back in the mix Woof ;)

Pete - Yes, monitoring can only ever be considered a good thing IMO... Mine isn't fancy, but evolved out of raw need. Nearly killed a brand new pair of GC2 thanks to a flaky jumper. Thru monitoring and TLC, I was able to correct the issue and things are well behaved for the most part now... But it wouldn't have been possible without it, and the one set was certainly destined for the circular file if I didn't intervene.

At this point it's probably overkill on some level, but I watch some 7 different graphs that all see things from a [some only slightly] different angle, and even tho I'm only able to see 6V chunks of it rather than individual cells, it's proven very sensitive to imbalances when they show up.

Wouldn't go without it ever again on something where the word "investment" even got brushed.
Wanted: Schrödinger's cat, dead and alive.

Offline Pete

• Mount Barrow Tasmania
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 07:03:48 pm »
Hi Steve, I remember seeing something about your monitoring system somewhere. Can you point me in the general direction.
Pete

Offline MadScientist267

• Impossible Condition Curator
  • Rules? What rules?
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 01:28:13 am »
Indeed Pete. There's more to see than what is currently in the thread... and right at this very moment I can't really get my hands on what I'd want for the update (the truck is in one of only 2 ever "sleep" modes I've ever put it in because I'm currently away)... but here's the 2 threads that more or less encompass what's currently documented...

http://www.anotherpower.com/board/index.php?topic=1049.0  <- The very basics

http://www.anotherpower.com/board/index.php?topic=1078.0  <- Has a fairly recent update in the pushed graphs, showing the more elaborate delta scheme in use to detect imbalance. I still need to do something on the hardware that's in use.

Feel free to ask any questions about it in either of those threads... not trying to hijack Woof's here with it ;)
Wanted: Schrödinger's cat, dead and alive.

Offline bj

• Lamont, Alberta, Canada
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 07:56:54 am »
   Nice that you still have everything Woof.  The batteries? well they all go sooner or later, so at least
your re-boot will start with new ones?  I talk too freely with your money. ;)
"Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while"
bj

Offline WooferHound

• Technowhiz
  • Global Moderator
  • Huntsville Alabama USA
    • My personal webpage
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 07:08:45 pm »
Got a great start on my system rebuild project.
I will be starting a new thread in User Projects area later this week when I will have enough put together to take some pictures.
Right now, I'm almost finished with a large cabinet that will house the batteries, charge control and power distribution, Plus it will be the base for the first 6 panels.
These are Harbor freight panels which are 21 volts at 1 amp, eventually I'll have a total of ten panels installed totaling about 150 watts.

Offline bj

• Lamont, Alberta, Canada
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2018, 05:43:54 am »
Awesome Woof.  Looking forward to the read.
"Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while"
bj

Offline WooferHound

• Technowhiz
  • Global Moderator
  • Huntsville Alabama USA
    • My personal webpage
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2018, 06:27:02 am »
As soon as this first cabinet is finished it will all move very quickly because everything is already made.
The individual peaces of gear all have terminal strips for the input and outputs so it should go together with a screwdriver and a few pieces of wire.
I'm hoping I can revive my batteries too, I don't think I tried equalizing them before I shutdown the system.
Maybe some hiigh voltage pulsing ?

Offline WooferHound

• Technowhiz
  • Global Moderator
  • Huntsville Alabama USA
    • My personal webpage
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2018, 06:38:58 am »