Author Topic: Going off-grid in Idaho  (Read 11985 times)

Offline dochubert

• 11 powerjacks, 9 that run, 3 actually used daily
Re: Going off-grid in Idaho
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2021, 12:53:05 pm »

Thanks Pete,
I'm hoping for a mild winter but expecting one not so mild.  The extra panels should help.

I think you'll be pleased with the improvement in transformer cooling with it raised up.  Hope your 8010 inverters work out well for you.  Hearing about Lighthunter's success with his is making me think about trying another one myself.

Btw, did you put 2 turns around a ferrite core on each of the 2 low voltage leads of the transformer?  Powerjack puts 1 turn and usually only on 1 of the leads instead of both.  The difference might improve your transformer's running temp under light loads, as well as the idle current.  Maybe yours is already setup like that, or if not, might be worth trying.
We're all going to DIE!  (eventually)

USA = Communist former republic
---  dochubert --

Offline Pete

• Mount Barrow Tasmania
« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2021, 05:34:23 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion Doc, I did not change the ferrites, there is just the one torroidal ferrite on one lead.
I will chase some cores up and add them to see if it changes things.
Do you know what cores work best?
I did use an E core ferrite on my old PowerStar W7 it worked a bit to lower idle currents, but those things were brutal as far as idle goes.
Wondering if a couple of E cores would be better than torroids.
I will see what is floating about the shed, thanks again
Pete

Offline dochubert

« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2021, 05:32:27 pm »

No idea if e-cores would work better.  I've only used the torroids as they seemed to do the job.

Yesterday was the first cloudy day since I installed the additional 8 panels.  No clear sun all day.  Still managed to charge enough to offset daytime loads and keep batteries up for overnight.  That was the goal.  I'm happy so far.

---  dochubert --

Offline solarnewbee

• Cayenne Dashboard
« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2021, 11:05:39 pm »
I went a little nuts and put an E core on all 4 sets of wires. Purred like a kitten. Not that it had a chance to idle but I do think it cut down on losses and lowered base wattage. Now that I dumped money on a new inverter I’m kicking myself. 8010 board? Maybe. On to my own thread.

Keep up the good march doc!
SN

Any day above ground is a day for potential mishaps

Offline dochubert

« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2021, 02:36:01 pm »
I went a little nuts and put an E core on all 4 sets of wires.

I could easily be wrong but my understanding is it would make no difference to transformer temp or idle current putting them on the output side.  Do those on the output get hot under moderate to high load?

---  dochubert --

Offline Pete

• Mount Barrow Tasmania
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2021, 04:42:30 pm »
Hi Doc, from the little I have gleaned reading about chokes, is that they are there to filter out the high frequency component of the waveform developed by the electronics. Apparently they develop around 22kHz as well as the 50 or 60 Hz wave. While all the whizbangery goes on in the chips. Then the choke helps to filter out the high frequency bits.
So putting chokes on the output of the transformer would not make any difference if the input chokes have already done their job.
Cheers
Pete

Offline noneyabussiness

• I think it works....
« Reply #66 on: October 21, 2021, 03:50:13 pm »
oz in his early days of testing surmised that the primary side choke slowed the current rise when the mosfets turned on per switching cycle, why it made such a significant difference at idle... the transformer " sees " a cleaner 50hz cycle... ( very simplified) .. warpspeed worked out that if the choke was tuned to " 75hz " was optimum... the output chokes clockman uses as well mainly for noise suppression for sensitive electronics, which doesn't hurt, but not necessarily needed as the waveform coming from the eg8010 is usually much cleaner than the grid itself,  not completely useless but not completely necessary ether..

personally haven't used the output ones and never had issues with everything I run off it... which is everything.... been off grid for about 8 years now...

Offline Pete

• Mount Barrow Tasmania
« Reply #67 on: October 21, 2021, 04:53:30 pm »
Hi Noneya, just wondering what chokes you have used on your 8010 boards.
I forgot to mention the capacitor too, the choke and the capacitor work together to filter.
I have just used the Powerjack transformers as they are. They seem to work fine so far.
I have not done a lot of testing though as my PowerJack 8kw blew up for a second time and I had to put the 8010 into service.
The PowerJack is now stripped down waiting for a new 8010  4kw board to arrive so it can be reborn as a spare.
Cheers
Pete

Offline noneyabussiness

• I think it works....
« Reply #68 on: October 21, 2021, 05:35:49 pm »
Oz insist that 2-3 turns on a ferrite toroidal core was sufficient for his setup... However as I said Warpspeed insisted the magic frequency of 75hz was the goal... there were many iterations using everything from laminate steel to ferrite to powdered iron core... all worked mostly...  personally gone with what Oz did originally and had no dramas .... but your mileage may vary ...

the output filter was another debate on what was best... again referring to the 2 people above ( I use them as they both have had the most success Ive read) oz used the original 4uf ( maybe it was 2uf, heck been a while) and never looked back, Warp actually spent some time in this and found each transformer had a specific resonance that worked better for different caps... think by memory his particular one used a 1.5uf ... Ill have to check but I used the original one that came with my board,  by memory 4uf ...

to be truly honest,  the fluctuations/ noise on the grid are tremendously worse than the output of these things... they are quite clean... just getting that sweet spot for idle current is the key

Offline Pete

• Mount Barrow Tasmania
« Reply #69 on: October 21, 2021, 08:56:33 pm »
Thanks noneya for the information. So far mine has a pretty low idle current, quite a bit lower than the powerjack had, it is running great.
I did like you did, used the capacitors that came with the board. I have since put spacers under the transformer to allow better air flow, ( as per Doc) and this has made quite a difference to cooling.
So when the new board arrives I may experiment a bit more, I have a single transformer from an 8kw Powerjack ( I think of them as 2.5kw inverters really).
I will see how things go when it arrives. Of course coming from China things are very slow at the moment.
Thanks again
Pete

Offline Pete

• Mount Barrow Tasmania
« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2021, 12:19:51 am »
Just wondering if any of you folk who use the 8010 boards have ever come across any data on adjusting them. I want to know the method of adjusting the current limiting.
So far the voltage settings seem to be fine, but sometimes on a larger load the inverter shuts down. I have to turn it off and then back on to get it to work again. So setting the current overload would be a good place to start
Cheers
Pete

Offline noneyabussiness

• I think it works....
« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2021, 06:27:09 am »
a quick google search for the datasheet will give you the voltage that it senses, by memory. 5 volts... you will need to remove the lm358 sensor ( too quick for a toroidal transformer, blows mosfets) and just simply add the resistance you need for the current you need ... eg .005 ohm will limit it to 100amp..

Offline noneyabussiness

• I think it works....
« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2021, 06:29:19 am »
bridge pin 8 to 7 and 1 to 4 will bypass the lm358

Offline Pete

• Mount Barrow Tasmania
« Reply #73 on: October 23, 2021, 04:25:11 pm »
Thanks Noneya, I have removed the LM358. I am in the process now of looking at connections in my battery system. I took the Battery fuses out yesterday and cleaned the contacts and tightened bolts.
When my new inverter is built I am planning on moving it closer to the batteries.
I just have to work out a good place where the charging fumes wont damage the circuit boards.
My inverters are in my shed at the moment with about 3 metres of 180mm aluminium cable connecting them to heavy battery leads that are about 1.5 metres long.
I am going to plug in a big load and check for voltage drop. I have found a bit more information on the aliexpress boards, unfortunately all the manufacturers make different looking boards , the basic instructions seem the same though.
Thanks again for you help
Pete

Offline lighthunter

« Reply #74 on: October 24, 2021, 11:16:36 am »
bridge pin 8 to 7 and 1 to 4 will bypass the lm358

I dont think a 358 exists on these boards but then maybe im overlooking something.

LM 393 perhaps you meant.

Dochubert posted a good photo for your question Pete.

I had external Interference with my overload current trip because its not isolated so it was unpredictable and i just removed it by folding pin 1 of the egs002 board. Since that time ive not had one bit of trouble with mine. Its already been far more reliable than any powerjack ive ever had. (2) + several rebuilt. I believe if youve removed the 393 and you play with adjustment of the pot labeled OL you will nail it.

Health Warning: May contain traces of nut!
LH