Off Grid Living / Camping > Utilities

To pump water , Help

(1/6) > >>

Grit:
Thanks wolfnar   -----OK  got a well 300 Foot deep , static water is 185 -  got 25 GPM.  (3 Years old)  It  has a 1 hp 220 v pump that I run with a gen.   casing is 6 in. with a 4 liner.   Works great but want to solorize my system .  MY thoughts are to pull the pump, because of lack of room,   and put in like a Nemo 24 volt. 1/2 poly pipe & # 8 wire (I have ). use about a 120 - 160  watt  panel, no battery but a controller, and timer set like run an hour then a 5 min. break.and back on. Water temp is 45 degrees I think (cold)   In the winter I use about 2000 gal of water a month, in the summer about 6-700 gal of water every other day because of gardening.  This is an off the grid situation.   I am on a limited income, Ret. SS.  That is why the nemo rather than the sureflow or the grundflux.  ????   Pro cons?? what ya know. & how to attack this situation.                          Grit                       

madlabs:
Grit,

Seems like too slow a pump to run off straight solar. You would need around 8 hours of pump time a day to pump 700 gallons a day. That's assuming 1.47 gpm from 115 feet of head. I have a Shurflo 9300 and get around 2 gpm, and I run it more than would work from straight solar. I think you need a battery at least.

I originally ran a DC line all the way out to the well. I added a new tank and am moving the pressure pump and tank over to the well. I am going to run an AC line and use an effiecient 24V dc power supply that I bought. The float switch in the tank will be AC, so the power supply won't be wasting juice if the pump isn't running.

Any one have any review on the Nemo pump? Cheaper than the Shurflo. I have heard a bad things from some folks about the Shurflo, but mine has been done the well for 2.5 years so far and no problems. However, with my new garden it's going to start getting a work out, so we'll see what it can do.

Jonathan

Grit:
TKS   OK your using a pressurized system, I had forgot to mention I have a gravity flow system.
A float switch in the tank. ok
The Nemo has a 2000 hr life the same as the Shurflo.   
The nemo uses a Flojet brand pump in a nemo casing ?
The specks>>http://www.nemosolar.com/dcsubmersiblepumps/id38.html
A big price difference in pumps.    Grit

madlabs:
Grit,

Where are you see a life of 2000 hours? In my case that would only be 4000 gallons, and I have many times that on my pump. Typo?

Jonathan

rossw:

--- Quote from: madlabs on May 06, 2012, 11:20:23 pm ---Where are you see a life of 2000 hours? In my case that would only be 4000 gallons, and I have many times that on my pump. Typo?

--- End quote ---

Interesting, thats about the figure I was quoted too.
I originally spent a small fortune on a shurflow 9300 series. It lasted less than 5 years of very intermittent use. Probably pumped around 120,000 litres (25,000 gallons).
When it failed, I tried to get parts. The local ripoff merchants wanted 50% of the original purchase price for bits to just refurb the pump, and about 90% of original purchase price if I also changed the motor like they "strongly advised".

Seems the seal is well known for its failures - although nobody tells you this at the time. I'm sure they told me (when I was trying to fix it) that it should be replaced and refurbed after about 2000 hrs.

I'll never buy another shurflo. Their support totally sucked. The price (close to $1,600 when I got it) is just total ripoff. I replaced it in the end, with a far far better pump. OK, runs on 240V AC only... takes 10 times the power but moves more than 10 times the water, made out of all quality brass and stainless, has no brushes, and cost 20% what the shurflow did (and that includes freight to get it here!)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version