Off Grid Living / Camping > Survival Skills

Survival Kit

<< < (2/2)

striider:
Ralph- sounds like a great kit, and you gave me a couple of ideas for my car kit too.  I keep a BOB (bug out bag) in the Suburban that has many of the things you listed and more, as well as chains and towstraps.  No winch on the suburban, but the Jeep (with winch) is usually within walking distance if I get stuck too badly near my place, and it has come in handy more than once!

Ghurd - those are nice fire starters that you described.  I may have to experiment with something like that.  As a part-time resident of the same county as Ralph, I feel obligated to mention that if he gets stuck near home, he will have available some of nature's best fire starters: fatwood.  Basically, all we have around us are pines and aspens, and any standing dead pine or stump easily yields excellent sap-infused fatwood.  You can use a knife to harvest it or an axe, turn it into feather sticks or simply split it into match-like sticks, and it burns for a LONG time to dry out wet tinder.  I keep a few pieces in my packs.  I also love the fact that you mentioned BIC brand lighters.  They are far and away the best built ones on the market that I have found, which is important in a survival situation.

Also of note- never leave home without appropriate footwear either strapped to your feet, or in your vehicle.  Walking a few miles in knee deep snow in tennies will teach you this lesson very quickly, and possibly permanently if you lose phalanges to frostbite.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version