Author Topic: Hydralic-Tilt Wind Tower Question  (Read 10121 times)

Offline scrapman

Re: Hydralic-Tilt Wind Tower Question
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2013, 09:58:53 pm »
wilfor03
The plan looks good but you need to do some calculations for the ram and strengthen mast on other side of ram mounting point plus hyd ram mounting point to mast should be over a lot larger area.
Ram in photo looks like its from a agricultural machine and if is would be low pressure type and guessing size at about 2ins diameter piston diameter at 1 and 1/2 ins and 2240 lbs per ton will only lift 1and 3/4 tons @ 2240 lbs per sq ins I would not use over that pressure and power pack would probably good for 5000 psi + so consider a pressure relief valve in hose.
To see if ram will do job add weight of wind generator +tower from top to hyd point and multiply by number of feet from hyd mount to top to give weight plus 100 percent safety margin ram has to lift.
Having built attachments for excavators i owned over 8 years was a steep learning curve when siting in cab with windows open and rust proofed in side cab + me when ram failed.
Peter

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2013, 10:34:19 pm »
I recently had the steering force amplifier on a tractor fail. Seal blew , and hot high pressure oil aimed right at my .. worst parts it could.
Not fun. no real damage, thankfully it was not full temp yet but hot enough to hurt like heck.
Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)

Offline rossw

• Senior Moderator
  • Grumpy-old-Unix-Admin
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2013, 02:18:53 am »
I recently had the steering force amplifier on a tractor fail. Seal blew , and hot high pressure oil aimed right at my .. worst parts it could.

Take very real care around high pressure hydraulics. The temperature isn't the worst of it.

What high pressure oil does  (Caution: graphic images)

Offline wilfor03

• USA - Union Grove, Al
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2013, 08:13:13 pm »
I've got a good idea of the weight of the servo motor, prop, tail, and tower pipe. Gonna be right around 190 lbs, so the hay bailer hydralic cylinder is more than able to carry that weight. My plan is to put a guage on a "T" fitting to monitor the pressure (safety issue).

But, I put new seals and "o" rings in the porto-power and that sucker leaks from the pump cylinder bad after raising the handle to pump up the pressure (raising the cylinder). I must have screwed up putting in the over-haul kit. That fluid is super messy!!
Gonna take it apart again and look for something I messed up and try it over. If it still leaks, it's scrap metal then and I'll try something different.

I'll keep you all posted as what's happening. Still trying to get a pad down for my new double-wide coming in, but the weather isn't helping up here on the mountain (right Wooferhound?), so just keeping the fingers crossed........

later everybody....

Bill