Renewable Energy Questions/Discussion > Wind and Hydro

Spring power stroke air compressor

<< < (2/3) > >>

Bryan1:
G'day Norm,
                   Although this aint a spring powered wind driven air compressor it does use a couple of springs. For a bit of fun a while ago I decided with that old 2 stroke lawnmower motor that was stuffed to have a go at turning it into an air compressor. Silly me took the piston out and broke the rings putting them back in so I made some new rings and it did last for about 100 hours.

Now what I did was block up the exhaust port on the cylinder wall side then mount a Tee-piece in the spark plug hole. Using air fittings, a spring and a ball bearing for both the inlet and output ports as one way valves worked a treat. I think I still have it somewhere in my shed and if I can find it I'll take a pic to show what I did.

Regards Bryan

artv:
Hi folks,....This is of interest since I was considering using my artisen well to create pressure...
If it works for air ,...could it work for water as well??
The water will pump itself up out of the ground , about a foot into the air,.....with added force from a turbine ,maybe it could be made into something useful??..........I don't know ...maybe not..
just an idea.....artv

ChrisOlson:
Check out this movie.  They build these mills down in Nicaragua to pump water with.  I like this kind of stuff because it takes true ingenuity to build something like this out of basically nothing.  They show the whole build in the movie:
Not a valid vimeo URL
It would seem to me that one of these things would run a piston-type air compressor perfectly fine too (with a few refinements).
--
Chris

Norm:
Hey Chris!
  Really liked the movie....they sure build 'em tuff down there....welding
handling all that bare metal no gloves...welding with open toed sandals.
I've never been able to saw a piece of pipe square in my life.
Where they cut the pipe and clamped on the outer bearing race....I've done
similar but I just use hose clamps.
I liked the way they hammer formed the curve in the blades.....hammer marks
in the blades yah hmph !  So what Huh?

This is something like I want to build but about half that size....
thanks again for the link was very entertaining !
Norm

Dale S:
There is an outfit on the intraweb somewhere that builds windmills that run air compressors, for some reason, I think they use em to aerate ponds or something.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version