Renewable Energy Questions/Discussion > Wind and Hydro

Combining know-how

(1/4) > >>

bvan1941:
It's too bad we can't combine all of what we've learned from all the electronic/ mechanically talented and skilled people in these Forums. By that I mean, if one reads over the (3) Forums, some people have significantly improved or mastered parts of the puzzle very well . Let me give some examples from the perspective of a newcomer:

Combine a good solid generator capable of say 1500watts-3000 watts, with an efficient transmission, together with a variable pitch / rotor. All found and made here on these Forums by individuals that we all are familiar with.  It would necessitate gathering all these components and putting together a "prototype" for evaluation.  ( I can name several very skilled candidates to assemble this kind of project). It would take some degree of overall cooperation and maybe some donations (for material expense) from us, but if spread around, probably not much for what could be a real answer to all the variables with WT'S.
Just an idea for maybe moving forward? This would be a great project everyone would be interested in!
Bill

WooferHound:
The
 AnotherPower
   Wind Turbine Plans

Volvo farmer:
Ya, people have done some pretty nifty stuff over the years. Problem is, when you get into transmissions and variable pitch devices, the machines quickly get out of the range of the average DIY fellow. Chris has admitted that it takes a very special type of person to duplicate his project, and he appears to have no desire to mass produce the thing.

It's one thing to be able to bolt three rectifiers to a piece of aluminum and wire them up right, it's quite another to be able to fabricate a chain drive gear case  with hardened steel shafts  and get the whole thing aligned right.  It's nice to see evolution and pushing of boundaries, but when it gets so far away from DIY, that less than one in ten thousand people could replicate the thing, it loses some of its appeal for me.

rossw:

--- Quote from: Volvo farmer on February 11, 2012, 11:27:39 pm ---It's one thing to be able to bolt three rectifiers to a piece of aluminum and wire them up right, it's quite another to be able to fabricate a chain drive gear case  with hardened steel shafts  and get the whole thing aligned right.  It's nice to see evolution and pushing of boundaries, but when it gets so far away from DIY, that less than one in ten thousand people could replicate the thing, it loses some of its appeal for me.

--- End quote ---

I wonder if there are not some sort of existing gear-cases readily available from some other purpose that could be re-tasked. I mean, obviously there are commercial/industrial things but way out of reach price-wise.

People already use trailer wheel-hubs and differentials and various other car/truck parts for trackers and turbines...

And while I accept something re-tasked my not be ideal, if we lose 3-5% in inefficiencies, but can use parts that are 50% or more cheaper (eg, using Ferrite mags and higher RPM), it may still be in the reach of at least some DIY people?

Wolvenar:
I think the idea in some fashion may have merit.
Determining what may be doable by whom, and agreeing on what is *the best* way to do it might be the tricky part.

I do think it is worth exploring in some fashion.

I would certainly think that having something available pre made to purchase, say a set of coils wound, or a stator made etc.. may be a valuable thing for someone who just wants to get a start. I know a large part of what held me back from getting serious with building any style wind alternators is the uncertainty of where to get quality wire with no local suppliers. It took zubbly pointing me in the right direction and giving me a crash course in wire before I had any place to start.
Sure miss the guy, I bet we would have a very good guide up here in no time if her were around yet.

Maybe a few guides depicting complete home brewed systems of varying sizes, entry level "toy" stuff like JeffD has recently posted, to heavy duty fully off the grid systems liek Chris, Ross and a number of others here have.  I love having journals all in one place for each person as it makes the work so much easier to follow. I think I learned more that way than any other.

Or maybe more simple things like users that have successful systems posting along the lines of:
 How would I design and build a new RE system for myself, knowing what I know now.
Where would I locate parts, etc all in one easy to follow spot.
Then the critiquing would come natural to a forum like this.

If anyone would like to build parts, generators, etc to sell,
I'd love to see that sort of thing in the Classifieds.
( not to invite any full blown commercial advertising or anything)

ok enough of my half awake rambling..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version