Author Topic: Going off-grid in Idaho  (Read 2969 times)

Offline noneyabussiness

• I think it works....
Re: Going off-grid in Idaho
« Reply #75 on: October 24, 2021, 02:43:18 pm »
sorry , yes I ment the lm393 op amp

Offline Pete

• Mount Barrow Tasmania
« Reply #76 on: October 24, 2021, 04:50:41 pm »
Thanks for the updated information. It was the 393 chip I removed, the inverter still played up a bit so i got rid of the op amp on the main board too. I did play with the overload yesterday so next time I try to use the bench oven I will know how it went.
Strange thing is I have a heat gun, it runs fine on full power but whatever they did to make it have a half power setting makes my inverters buzz and load up heaps. I am guessing that they have a triac in there to reduce the power, and it creates havoc.
No other tools have problems, it starts my air compressor instantly, runs all the other tools. So I think I will take the heat gun apart and disconnect the low power setting.
Thanks again for the help .
By the way not all the boards are the same, my board does not seem to have a short circuit adjustment pot, it just has three pots to adjust rather than 4.
It would be so nice if the manufacturers put out manuals for them but at the price they must figure it is not worth it.
Pete

Offline rossw

• Senior Moderator
  • Grumpy-old-Unix-Admin
« Reply #77 on: October 24, 2021, 08:01:13 pm »
Strange thing is I have a heat gun, it runs fine on full power but whatever they did to make it have a half power setting makes my inverters buzz and load up heaps. I am guessing that they have a triac in there to reduce the power, and it creates havoc.

A lot of them use a series-universal (brushed) motor which is perfectly happy with AC or DC.
Then for "half power" they just chuck in a diode so the heater and motor only get one half of each cycle. Cheap, nasty, effective.

The inverter however won't generally like having all the load on one half of the waveform only...

Offline Pete

• Mount Barrow Tasmania
« Reply #78 on: October 25, 2021, 01:00:47 am »
Thanks Ross, I will have a look and see if it is just the cheap nasty diode speed control. If it is I can just by cut it out and have just one speed. That is all I need anyway.
Thanks
Pete

Offline dochubert

• 11 powerjacks, 9 that run, 3 actually used daily
« Reply #79 on: November 14, 2021, 01:36:54 pm »
It's almost the middle of November and we're only getting sunny days about one in three.  The batteries are handling the overnight (small) loads rather well despite less sun than I would like, and ever shorter days too.  Had to go to grid power once overnight due to 4 days of straight clouds/rain. The battery bank was down to 51v at bedtime.  I didn't want to push it any lower. 
 Since then have stayed off grid, so happy about that.  The larger battery bank plus the added winter-only solar panels are doing the job.  This time last year I was switching to grid power nightly.  Eventually I will probably have to do that, but want to put it off as long as I can.
Still have some winter-only panels to add to the 24v water heating bank.  So far water heating has been ok despite the poor sun, but need to get those extra panels set up and contributing.
The soapbox is now banned.
The ballot box has been stolen.
The court system is completely corrupt.
Nothing left but the cartridge box....

USA = Banana Republic

---  dochubert --

Offline solarnewbee

• Cayenne Dashboard
« Reply #80 on: November 29, 2021, 09:34:43 pm »
Have you considered a windmill in your future? I finally got mine up. It groans something terrible and is probably the bearings since it sat in our extra bedroom at 30c for 6 years and the grease may have settled and the bearing corroded. Next month I will rent scaffolding again and hunt down bearing. I’m only get at most 11v from a dual 3 phase generator so it can’t be moving as fast as it could be.
SN

Any day above ground is a day for potential mishaps

Offline dochubert

• 11 powerjacks, 9 that run, 3 actually used daily
« Reply #81 on: November 30, 2021, 04:22:21 pm »

Hi SN,
Windmills?  I have a couple.  One is mounted just over the shed.  Produces nothing.  I realize it should be higher but wanted to see if I could get anything before I put the work and expense into poles and guy wires.  Was so disappointing I never put any others up.  Sadly, there is almost no wind here about 99% of the time, then we get 60mph winds for a couple of days.  Just not worth it (at least here).  Hope you get your windmill working well!

I did get four more winter-only solar panels up and added to my 24v water heating battery bank.  They are making a difference on these short days.  Sometime in March I'll take down all the winter-only panels and store them until next October.  Angled for winter sun they will be useless in summer, and some of them will be in the way of pasture irrigation, which starts again in late March.

I'm having to switch to grid at times now.  Been very cloudy recently in addition to short days.  Switched to grid on Thanksgiving so the wife could cook without me worrying about batteries.  Using grid power in winter is inevitable but I still hate doing it.
The soapbox is now banned.
The ballot box has been stolen.
The court system is completely corrupt.
Nothing left but the cartridge box....

USA = Banana Republic

---  dochubert --