Author Topic: New backup power  (Read 8908 times)

Offline bj

• Lamont, Alberta, Canada
New backup power
« on: October 09, 2015, 08:05:59 am »
   Power here is becoming less and less dependable.  Many outages, and I keep losing
electronic stuff.  Some cheap things like CFL's and smoke detectors (wired in system)
but some pricey things as well.  Most annoying.  And the cold season is coming-----so
new backup power is needed. 
   The old one I built a few years ago does the job, but it's noisy and has a fair appetite
for fuel.
   Hence the pic.  Just finishing the overhaul,(complete) and it will become the engine
for the new genset.
   It's a Kubota D1105, and will be direct coupled to a 4 pole brushless alternator.  At
12KW load, and 1800 rpm, it should have about 80% load.
   Total cost will be around $2000 cdn, and a lot of work.
   More pics, as it goes together.
"Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while"
bj

Offline rossw

• Senior Moderator
  • Grumpy-old-Unix-Admin
Re: New backup power
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 03:55:58 pm »
Nice looking little power plant. It should be great.
When I built my genset - with almost no idea of what my actual run-times, peak load or base-load were going to be, it was a "stop-gap" project with an anticipated life of 3 years, 5 at the outside. It was built from a decent 4-pole brushless alternator with AVR, and a 4-cylinder 1800cc petrol engine from a popular small car (Ford Laser, a mazda engine I believe).
It's still going fine, 10 years on but it too is a bit thirsty and has some other issues we hadn't planned on - like it's simply too big, and is very twitchy with no load. I used petrol because it was being converted to single point propane injection, but a diesel engine would probably have been a better bet to start with.
Are you planning to use an electronic governor? Building your own genset controller or buying one off the shelf? Keep us posted!

Offline bj

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 04:11:09 pm »
  Hey Ross----I hope it works alright.  Basically got the engine for free, only had 52 hours, but got hot.
Bored it to make sure everything was round again, replaced pistons etc etc.
  This particular one has a super heavy flywheel, and combined with the rotating mass of the
gen head, I'm hoping the mechanical governor will be OK.  We'll see.  Would rather have used a
Shubaura, but the price was right on this one.
  Controller has been thought about, but that is all.
  As always any and all suggestions are very welcome.
bj

Offline artv

• No Personal Text Set by User
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 05:09:33 am »
Hi Bj, Long time no see.
Nice score on that diesel it should last a lifetime.
My back-up is gas powered but was looking into converting to propane, but not really sure if the engine would like it.
Some say it's better others say not ,who do you believe?
If hydro rates keep climbing the way they are it'll soon be cheaper to run the gen and say adios to hydro.
Good luck and looking forward to the finished project.
Hope all's well.
art

Offline rossw

• Senior Moderator
  • Grumpy-old-Unix-Admin
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 05:26:11 am »
My back-up is gas powered but was looking into converting to propane, but not really sure if the engine would like it.
Some say it's better others say not ,who do you believe?

The only consistent "downside" I hear with running a petrol (gasoline) engine on propane is upper-cylinder lubrication issues.
My own case, I took a standard 4-cylinder, 16-valve, double-overhead-cam engine, removed all the fuel injection nonsense and added single-point gas injection (mixing). I've seen unbelievably good plug condition, oil remains in very good condition for ages, and apart from oil (and filter) changes every 400-500 hours (equivalent to about 40,000km highway driving), and changing plugs about every 200,000km equivalent, it hasn't been touched.

To address the upper-cylinder lubrication, I vent the rocker cover to the air/fuel inlet after the air filter. The very small amount of oil fumes there seems to do fine.

I've had the oil analysed a couple of times and it shows no excessive wear and no other problems. No performance problems.

Here's a sparkplug after the equivalent of 200,000km (running on pure propane)

Here's under the rocker cover - oil hasn't been changed in 500 hours (around 40,000km), the engine has done in total close to 400,000km (equivalent) here, nothing apart from oil and plug changes.

Apart from slightly harder to start, and slightly less power (not an issue for me), there isn't any downside to the conversion, just do it!

Offline bj

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 07:14:23 am »
  Hey Art,  it has been a while.  Hope all is well with you.
  Propane----it's complicated, but Ross covered it well.
  There can be issues, but Ross's choice of engines was a wise one.
  Most of the problems come with older carbureted engines, especially from the leaded
fuel years.  The valves and seats and guides didn't like t propane as much.  Fuel injected
engines had better quality components, and few issues.
  Power loss is about 12%, again Ross chose well.  Some commercial gensets are short on
power anyway, so might be a consideration.
  The general engine cleanliness that Ross is showing is typical.
  Hoping to get the little diesel on the run-in stand today, and put a few hours on it, just to be sure.  Then
things will progress.
bj

Offline artv

• No Personal Text Set by User
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 07:04:29 am »
Hi Ross,
 Wow that is clean. Looks like it just came off the line.
My genny is just one of those store bought el cheapo, made in China, but what isn't.
It says 389cc, not sure what horsepower that is? There are kits available online but I'd be concerned about it running hot, the top end oil thing you mentioned.
Bj, I'm sure she'll purr like a kitten.
artv

Offline bj

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 08:48:53 am »
Well, it wasn't easy, but it's running.  Many problems with the injector pump,
considered buying a rebuilt, but decided to tear it apart and see.  Long story
shortened, had one injector piston in wrong.  Didn't appear to have been apart,
so just one of those mysteries.
Hope to order the Gen. head in the next couple of days.  (bank account low)  :(

bj

Offline Watt

• Over qualified in the inexperience department!
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015, 07:14:15 pm »
Nice engine BJ.  Not that you will, but don't skimp on the direct coupler of the generator end.  The st-12kw generator head, from china has a 42mm shaft and the weight of the rotor is just wrong with the 7s quadra flex coupler.  Just one misfire of the engine and the coupler was trashed.  That misfire was from setting a while and losing the diesel prime to the pump. I've since changed to a 15kw generator (48mm milled to 1-7/8") head and a 9s quadra flex coupler, rubber seems ok so far. 

All in all, sure like the hourage of the fuel use outta the engine...  Runs for days at a time at the river and does pretty good short of getting a bum st-head. 
CEO of this Dis-Organization....

Offline bj

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2015, 06:31:17 am »
   That looks like the same one Watt.  Thanks for the heads up on the coupling.  The gen head I am looking at
is a single bearing unit that has a large diameter flex plate that direct bolts to the flywheel with the clutch bolt
holes at the edge of the flywheel.   It means either buying, or making a tractor style bell housing to bolt the
gen body do.   Hope that will be robust enough.
   They seem to be a tough little engine.  This one definitely suffered abuse, but aside from the piston
damage, and injector pump mystery, was in pretty good shape.
    Only have a couple of hours on it now, but all seems good.
    Pic is not the one, but similar.
bj

Offline Watt

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2015, 08:56:44 am »
Awesome choice BJ.  That direct coupling looks to be best. 

I've seen the Kubota 05 series BG bell housings and  flywheels on ebay.  Sorta pricey but, they would make a perfect compliment to your engine and generator head plans. 905, 1005, 1105 and I think 1305 are interchangeable.

Here is a 905 with the proper housing and flywheel.  If I'm posting information you are already familiar with, I do apologize.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-KUBOTA-DIESEL-ENGINE-D905-NEW-Serial-AN8814-Military-Surplus-3-Cylinder-/221915521801?hash=item33ab322309:g:nYEAAOSwI-BWIS-x

Best of luck. 

Offline bj

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2015, 07:19:58 am »
  Many thanks Watt.  That gives me a place to start.  Biggest problem with Kubota parts is finding
what the piece you need was used on.  Just the way their parts listings are done.  And that is
exactly the housing I need.
   Just for info, the engine I have is listed at $7000+  retail, new.  Makes the cost of
an overhaul seem a little less painful.
bj

Offline Norm

• Today is the day you worried about yesterday.
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2015, 08:19:31 am »
In regards to the direct coupling we had direct couplers that used about 4 golf balls quite easy and cheap to replace .....our golfers were happy to donate their old golf balls !
Norm.

Offline Watt

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2015, 02:51:15 am »
  Many thanks Watt.  That gives me a place to start.  Biggest problem with Kubota parts is finding
what the piece you need was used on.  Just the way their parts listings are done.  And that is
exactly the housing I need.
   Just for info, the engine I have is listed at $7000+  retail, new.  Makes the cost of
an overhaul seem a little less painful.

Right on.  Best to ya, sir.

Offline Watt

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2015, 02:53:34 am »
In regards to the direct coupling we had direct couplers that used about 4 golf balls quite easy and cheap to replace .....our golfers were happy to donate their old golf balls !
Norm.

That seems cheap enough....  I wonder though, what sorta coupler uses golf balls.?