Author Topic: 8 Amp Solar Charge Controller  (Read 5185 times)

Offline wilfor03

• USA - Union Grove, Al
8 Amp Solar Charge Controller
« on: March 27, 2012, 10:13:09 am »
Got a question for the board @ large.......Could I use a 12v-8 amp solar charge controller for a very small ac servo motor (w/2' dia. props)

w/rectem-fier to charge 12v boat batterys while underway? I was thinking (I do that sometimes) this could be a way of charging

the trolling motor/night lights battery (day or night running)? Am I out in left field on this thinking? I have a spare Ramsond

controller left over from when I first started playing with solar power. I wouldn't think the controller would mind what type of "dc juice"

is coming into it? The servo motor would put out maybe, 4 amps tops. What you all think? No rocks, please!  ;D

Bill

Offline Rover

Re: 8 Amp Solar Charge Controller
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 03:42:10 pm »
Wilfor,

I would not use the solar controller. In effect, the solar controller is made to control solar panels (this one anyway). When bateries are charged, it can simply disconnect the panels, something you don't want to do with a turbine. It will just run free with no load, potentially damaging it.

Without knowing the size of the batteries, etc (amp hrs) , hard to give you much more. But there is always a solution.

Rover

Rover

(Where did I bury that microcontroller?)

Offline wilfor03

• USA - Union Grove, Al
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 07:23:29 am »
Thanks for reply, Rover....

Yea, I had totally forgotten about keeping the ginny loaded when the batteries charge up. Time for plan "B" now. I think

I'll probably just build a small controller board, and figure out a dump load device. All this hurts my head!!!   ::) But, its a fun

project to play with. At least I won't have to worry about the wind blowing, eh? At about 20-25 mph speed, I should have plenty

of wind to "spin" those little props.

Thanks for the light bulb over my head, Rover  ;D

Bill

Offline tomw

• Not as bad as you might think
  • Senior Moderator
  • hoplophobic people will fear my lifestyle
    • Zubbly's photos!
Give Glen's Controller a try...
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 10:21:03 am »
Bill;

I think you can get a GHurd controller kit for like $15? Mine is customised for a 24 volt system and dumps a kilowatt into 4 big Ohmite resistors with a muffin fan to keep them cool. It seems capable of keeping up with 850 watts of solar and and easy couple KW of turbines when it gets the voltage up. It is a very flexible little unit and can scale up with expansion including higher voltages after you discover 12  volts is not efficient on a largish system.

http://www.ghurd.info

Just saying...

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ?° ?? ?°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Offline ghurd

• Global Moderator
    • GHurd Solar
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 08:03:09 am »
Sounds like fun.

The ghurd kit would do it as well as any other controller out there.

The standard kit and a set of dump load resistors is more than enough for 2 of those turbines, so you will have the ability to upgrade the turbine without changing or modifying the controller system at all.

(thanks for the plug Tom)

The solar controller WILL blow up the first time the battery reaches regulation voltage.
The solar controller basically disconnects the load, as Rover said.
Lets say your turbine reaches cut in, 13V, at 7MPH.
Lets say you are going 21MPH when the battery reaches regulation voltage.
The controller disconnects the load.
The unloaded turbine voltage is now (13V x 3) 39VDC.

And notice the blue print in your photo says-
"Maximum Input Voltage: 24V"

The turbine is 2/3rds past the max input voltage.
In laymans terms, "Poof" says the controller.

G-

Offline wilfor03

• USA - Union Grove, Al
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 04:21:03 pm »
Sounds like fun.

The ghurd kit would do it as well as any other controller out there.

The standard kit and a set of dump load resistors is more than enough for 2 of those turbines, so you will have the ability to upgrade the turbine without changing or modifying the controller system at all.

In laymans terms, "Poof" says the controller.

G-

Hey Glen, Tom, Rover and all......

Yeah, Don't want any "Poof's" in my boat, so I best just get another ghurd board and some  loadable resistors, eh? I'm hoping that little Ginny

will put out (I dated a girl named "Ginny" once  8)) about 4-6 amps, (12v) on a flat run (16' flat bottom, w/35hp Johnson), about 20mph, I guess.

That should give me some good playground winds. Might even remember to throw out a hook or two!!

G- I'll drop ya an email about your board and stuff, okay??

Appreciate the feedback, folks........

Bill

Offline Rover

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 04:29:49 pm »
Grin,

Just tell us your not going for over unity with the wind gen powering the boat and charging it... LOL

Have fun

Rover
Rover

(Where did I bury that microcontroller?)